Rifle Scabbard for bigger long range rifles

HUNT JR

WKR
What style of scabbard are you guys using for bigger sized rifles and scopes with exposed turrets that stick out like a Nightforce NXS?

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
You might look at the extreme outer limits online store. Kifaru, is making a scabbard for them (also integrates with the nomad 2) .... I run the whole pack/scabbard system for predator hunting and have been very satisfied. Scabbard easily accommodates my LR rig with NF, bipod, 24” barrel and 7” suppressor. Horse packing is out of my realm of expertise, but I think the scabbard could work fine for that too.

I use the trailmax guardian with a 26 inch barrel and a two inch break and a 50mm NXS, it's snug but I thought it worked fine. I see on there website they have a even larger one now meant for long range rifles, that may be the ticket.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
You might want to go to the local feed/tack store and ask who they know locally who does tack work. The gf had one made for me last year before we headed into the mountains. Took my 280AI in and left it with him for a day, and he built it to accommodate the turrets. Was about $225 for a full leather custom scabbard.

rayporter

WKR
the trail max used to have a 2 piece scabbard with a large cover that slipped over the butt and was adjustable. it would be great for length but wont help the width for the turret. [ believe the width is enough for the turret - but I would still cover or tape the turret ]

always consider the balance of the scabbard with the rifle in it. some can get butt heavy and tip.

have you checked out the kolpin for 4x4 mounting? just a thought as I have seen a few on horses. did not look like I wanted one but it worked for them.

I've put rifles with a NXS 50mm in the trailmax guardian. Before inserting the rifle I "squish" down on the top of the scabbard a few times to get it more of an oval . Holds its shape great after that, its snug but not tight enough to be a concern.