Rifle scope for western hunting

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 scope on my 7mm. I want a lighter mountain rifle. Should I keep this scope or go with something different (lighter). So many people use 44mm objectives, why is that?
Do you prefer first or second focal plane?

BluMtn

WKR
I don't know about 44's. Everything I shoot has a 50mm minimum on it. And I don't own any leupolds so basically I am worthless for help.

My current western rifle wears the same scope you have just in a 40 mm objective...and for my next western rifle I will be going to a much heavier scope. Ultralight, ultra-repeatable and ultra-durable seem to be mutually exclusive when it comes to rifle scopes. Weight savings are cute, but what I've realized I actually need is something that will help me hit what I are aiming at, regardless of the range or how many seconds of legal shooting light are left. There's other ways to save weight on a rifle, and there's lots of other places in your kit to save weight. I'd recommend going lighter on other things and using some of the weight savings for a more substantial scope.

It depends on how you hunt and the rifle you plan to use. If you are a longer range, dial the range on you scope type guy, then I agree they pretty much don't make a well built very light scope built to do fhat.

That said, that's not me. I've only shot at one big game animal at over 325 in nearing 40 years of hunting. I've never owned a scope with over a 40mm bell. Not only are these scopes lighter, but are physically smaller so you end up with a slightly less bulky mountain rifle, but the scope can be mounted lower, likely making the rifle shoulder and point quicker and more naturally. I can't imagine putting a 50mm plus 20÷ ounce scope on something like a fieldcraft or kimber ma - it just looks funny! But that's just me...
Bottom line is it kinda depends one what is the style of mountain gun you plan to use and your personal shooting style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
I do almost all my hunting with 6x Leupold scopes. Sometimes a modest powered variable like a 2-7 or 1.5-5x.

Seems to work out real well for me. Have taken mule deer at 400 yards with a fixed 6x, coyotes past that. Up close hasn't been a problem either. I like the excellent clarity, simplicity, generous eye-box, of the fixed 6x scopes.

This 6x on my 25-06 has the 42mm objective lens. Very nice in low light. Very bright scope!
KaCBvzqh.jpg

And my 30-06 has the slimmer 36mm objective lens. Not too far behind the 42mm version for brightness:
c5CF7V6h.jpg

I don't think your current scope is a bad choice at all, I've just grown very fond of my fixed 6x scopes. They've served me well.

Regards, Guy

I do almost all my hunting with 6x Leupold scopes. Sometimes a modest powered variable like a 2-7 or 1.5-5x.

Seems to work out real well for me. Have taken mule deer at 400 yards with a fixed 6x, coyotes past that. Up close hasn't been a problem either. I like the excellent clarity, simplicity, generous eye-box, of the fixed 6x scopes.

This 6x on my 25-06 has the 42mm objective lens. Very nice in low light. Very bright scope!

And my 30-06 has the slimmer 36mm objective lens. Not too far behind the 42mm version for brightness:

I don't think your current scope is a bad choice at all, I've just grown very fond of my fixed 6x scopes. They've served me well.

Regards, Guy

The more I use my Weaver K6 (6x38) the more I like it. I grew up with a fixed 4x scope on my deer rifle, and I still sometimes forget to change the magnification on my variable scopes. 6x is all I need for anything inside of 400 yards, and I don't ever plan to shoot further than that. The 6x38 brings in so much light and IMO the Weaver reticle is incredibly useful in the field. I suppose it's like Leupy's wide duplex. 6 MOA from the crosshair to the tip of the bottom post. That means with a 170-yard zero, I'm 1" high at 100, 1" low at 200 and I hold midway below the crosshair and bottom post for 300 and the tip of the bottom post is 400. That is very, very simple in the field when the heart is racing from a steep climb and a critter about to move into the brush.

Simple and light. It only weighs 10 oz.

Last edited:

MMB1

FNG
Look at the vx-5hd. They are sweet and have been on sale with the vx6 out. Perfect for a lightweight rife.