Rifle Stock ShellHolder

What is everyones preferred rifle stock shellholder?

This is for a light gun shooting 600 yards and under. I want a light one and really only need room for some shells and my dope chart.

I used to use a cheap neoprene one but it fell apart pretty quickly.

Any suggestions?

kravguy

WKR
I have one from Hill people gear. It only has 1 season under it's belt, but it did the job.

Carlin59

WKR
I found this one last summer and really like it: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=11DVSW8P1KQGPNAS5B1T

I like being able to cover the catridges fully, and still very fast to access additional rounds. I also think the flap helps protect the stretchy shell holder material to some degree. There is a hole in the bottom that slips over the sling stud to prevent it from sliding down the stock. I painted my whole rifle this year (Krylon rattle can) and it looks great. No built in window to insert a drop chart, but you could just tape one on this inside with packing tape and achieve the same thing. Just a cheap option to consider. Good luck and let us see what you end up with!

Last edited:

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an Allen Company one that I have used for years. I have the uncovered version. I taped a drop chart to the side of my rifle and the shell holder does interfere with visibility of the chart. This one seems to have stood up well however it isn't perfect either. About half the time, I just put an extra shell or two in pants or coat pocket for easy access.

Carlin59

WKR
It took me awhile to convert to using a shell holder (a "quick" antelope stalk in WY that ended 2 miles later with an empty gun and no extra ammo changed my mind) but now I really like having one. I figure that if I am going to always have "X" number of extra shells on me, they might as well be attached to the gun for quicker access and to add weight to the rifle for balance (26" barrel) and steadying purposes. Good luck to the OP on finding one to suite your needs.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I found this one last summer and really like it: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=11DVSW8P1KQGPNAS5B1T

I like being able to cover the catridges fully, and still very fast to access additional rounds. I also think the flap helps protect the stretchy shell holder material to some degree. There is a hole in the bottom that slips over the sling stud to prevent it from sliding down the stock. I painted my whole rifle this year (Krylon rattle can) and it looks great. No built in window to insert a drop chart, but you could just tape one on this inside with packing tape and achieve the same thing. Just a cheap option to consider. Good luck and let us see what you end up with!

This is the same one I have on all my rifles since 2011. It's the only one that I have yet to lose rounds when hiking through the brush. That little flap is a MUST IMO!

Carlin59

WKR
Also helps to reduce the glare/shine from brass, and keeps them crud/moisture out of the primers. Not sure if any of those are really an issue or not, but cheap peace of mind for $10.

OP
G
Thanks for all the help guys! I like the hpg one but I definitely want one that covers the shells.

The Allen one looks like it would work. Do they make it in solid black?

Carlin59

WKR
Thanks for all the help guys! I like the hpg one but I definitely want one that covers the shells.

The Allen one looks like it would work. Do they make it in solid black?

I don't think they do but for $10 I wouln't be afraid to hit it with flat black spraypaint or even a sharpie. I painted mine camo once it was on the stock and the colors have held up well.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I carry my gun with a safari sling so these don't work for me, but I have 4rds in the gun already so not too worried about immediate access to ammo. I carry 10rds in a folding fabric ammo holder in my day pack waist pouch which I usually have. If I'm dropping my day pack to run for a shooting position I'll grab that pouch (and range finder, etc.) from my pack and stuff into one of my pockets.

We used to carry the ammo holder that slid onto the stock, until one year my hunting partner shot his rifle (300 Wby), and the recoil caused the holder to slide forward and jammed the bolt when he tried to cycle it for a second shot. I see now that the Allen brand has a hole to allow for the sling stud to prevent this.
After that fiasco, we just went with carrying one shell in each pocket for backup, and a belt pouch that carries 6 extra rounds. With one round in each pocket, the shells don't rattle together, and we know that under the stress of trying to reload another round, no matter what pocket we shove our hand into, we will have at least one more round. Fortunately, we never had to resort to reloading additional ammo. What we had in the gun was sufficient.
If necessary we could always access the belt pouch, but it is slower to access due to usually being beneath the hunting coat.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped using shell holders year ago. I mean how many shots do you really need? If I lived in Grizz country I'd prolly just buy a Win Mod 70. The Model 70's carry 6, and then maybe carry a single in each front pocket.. JMO

I stopped using shell holders year ago. I mean how many shots do you really need? If I lived in Grizz country I'd prolly just buy a Win Mod 70. The Model 70's carry 6, and then maybe carry a single in each front pocket.. JMO

What?? None of my m70's carry 6.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
5 in the belly one in the chamber.

Featherweights
Extreme Weathers
Most Super grades
Some Sporters

So I'm figuring not all Model 70's do.. :) My bad.. My favorite Model 70's do..
I stand corrected.

Thanks

Last edited:
All the magnum's are only 3 round capacity's. The standard (small) caliber's are 5 down, but not exactly what you want in brown bear country.