Rifle suggestions

Badseed

WKR
Check out the new Springfield waypoint 2020. For the msrp its almost impossible to beat and the reviews have been good. If you are only shooting out to 500 yds the 0 moa rail shouldn’t be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wilterdink54
Check out the new Springfield waypoint 2020. For the msrp its almost impossible to beat and the reviews have been good. If you are only shooting out to 500 yds the 0 moa rail shouldn’t be a problem.

I saw those things...absolutely gorgeous. Aren’t they somewhere around $1500 starting though?

Badseed

WKR
Its been a while since I checked the msrp but originally I remembered a lower price. After double checking, you were right, they start at $1500. Even still I would save up the extra $300 and buy the waypoint in comparison to the other rifles mentioned.

I absolutely love my Tikka 300 WM. Lightweight, accurate and good to carry all day. Do you have much experience shooting magnums? They can beat you up a bit. Before I put a brake on mine I could shoot 20 rounds and I was done. The last few rounds I had to really concentrate on my form and trigger control. After the brake I can shoot as much as I want without thinking about it. Something to consider.

rootacres

WKR
In that sub $1000 price point the Tikka is great, also a very underrated rifle is the Bergara. I have experience with both, and they both are great shooters. If you can stretch to the $1200-$1300 range the Christensen Arms Mesa is great, my brothers .308 is easily sub MOA.

OP
wilterdink54
That’s a lot of votes for tikka from what I have been told on this thread and from lots of reading. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!

I’ve never hunted anywhere but the west, although I have gotten better at stalking so my longest shot ever was about 375 and my last 4-5 animals have all been less than 200. at the range 400 yards is a long ways. In the field the number of things that can go wrong are just so numerous that I don’t care to take shots that far Although 30-06 will certainly handle it. Tikka 30-06 is my fave. 30-06 is old school boring, but there are thousands upon thousands of deer and elk unavailable for comment due to that cartridge. 300 win mag is about 25 % more punishing in the recoil dept.

edit just looked at chuck hawks recoil table which shows the ‘06 at 20 ft lbs and the 300 WM at 26 ft lbs. with a 165 gr bullet.

Last edited:
OP
wilterdink54
I’ve never hunted anywhere but the west, although I have gotten better at stalking so my longest shot ever was about 375 and my last 4-5 animals have all been less than 200. at the range 400 yards is a long ways. In the field the number of things that can go wrong are just so numerous that I don’t care to take shots that far Although 30-06 will certainly handle it. Tikka 30-06 is my fave. 30-06 is old school boring, but there are thousands upon thousands of deer and elk unavailable for comment due to that cartridge. 300 win mag is about 25 % more punishing in the recoil dept.

edit just looked at chuck hawks recoil table which shows the ‘06 at 20 ft lbs and the 300 WM at 26 ft lbs. with a 165 gr bullet.

Hey thanks for the input!

I have since this post decided that I am more likely going to go with a 7mm rem mag or 06. What are your thoughts on the 7mm RM?

Hey thanks for the input!

I have since this post decided that I am more likely going to go with a 7mm rem mag or 06. What are your thoughts on the 7mm RM?

Lots of animals of various sizes have been killed with the 7mm RM. Should be a bit better in the recoil department as well.

kpk

WKR
I just set up a Tikka superlite in 7mm RM. I put a limbsaver on it and the recoil is quite manageable.

I also debated on going 300 win mag but thought that may pushing the limit of what I could shoot accurately without developing some bad habits (especially in a light weight rifle). I wouldn't really consider myself recoil sensitive either.

In the same weight rifle 7 Rm and 06 are reportedly pretty close in the recoil dept ft lbs. 7Rm probably has slightly sharper recoil velocity and flatter ballistics. Pretty popular caliber. Also many dead animals.

N2rockets

FNG
Brand new member here - on this forum at least - thought I would say Hi. (n2rockets on Calguns and Snipershide)

I have a couple 300 WM and a 7mm mag for western hunting in CA, Idaho and MT. Rifles are Tikka, Christensen Arms and Rem 700 5R... I still like the 300 WM the best of all the calibers. Mostly for brass availability and the projectile availability. I have an easier time reloading and finding components in .308 cal where I am for the 300WM, same as brass availability. I have loaded my 300 WM down in pressure more similar to 308 and 30-06 velocities when my wife has wanted to shoot it so I like that versatility. I also will load less hot for whitetail and smaller game, full pressure 208 GR for Idaho and Montana Elk. I have a harder time getting components for 7mm mag and some of the more niche calibers so especially these days I stick with popular calibers and components since its already hard to find things. Just my .02 cents worth

On a separate note Wilterdink54 - Do you still have the ONX Map regional chips available for sale? I literally just joined this forum to see if you still have them available but I am brand new here so I cannot PM you. Sorry for the thread jack boys and girls! I am a desperate western hunter I need of some old school chips! haha. I am [email protected] - Keeping it consistent across all these forums. If you are in Socal you can try out any of my rifles and see which you like best. I use them with the Labradar and Trasol to get the ballistics down and can compare the 7mm and 300wm side by side.

OP
wilterdink54
Brand new member here - on this forum at least - thought I would say Hi. (n2rockets on Calguns and Snipershide)

I have a couple 300 WM and a 7mm mag for western hunting in CA, Idaho and MT. Rifles are Tikka, Christensen Arms and Rem 700 5R... I still like the 300 WM the best of all the calibers. Mostly for brass availability and the projectile availability. I have an easier time reloading and finding components in .308 cal where I am for the 300WM, same as brass availability. I have loaded my 300 WM down in pressure more similar to 308 and 30-06 velocities when my wife has wanted to shoot it so I like that versatility. I also will load less hot for whitetail and smaller game, full pressure 208 GR for Idaho and Montana Elk. I have a harder time getting components for 7mm mag and some of the more niche calibers so especially these days I stick with popular calibers and components since its already hard to find things. Just my .02 cents worth

On a separate note Wilterdink54 - Do you still have the ONX Map regional chips available for sale? I literally just joined this forum to see if you still have them available but I am brand new here so I cannot PM you. Sorry for the thread jack boys and girls! I am a desperate western hunter I need of some old school chips! haha. I am [email protected] - Keeping it consistent across all these forums. If you are in Socal you can try out any of my rifles and see which you like best. I use them with the Labradar and Trasol to get the ballistics down and can compare the 7mm and 300wm side by side.

Yes I do still have them available. Are you interested in both the Rockies north and south?

Thanks
Brant

N2rockets

FNG
Yes I will take both Brant! Thanks! I will attempt to contact you through this system, otherwise you have my email in my last post if that doesn't work. Thanks again.

PRC_GUY

WKR
there are so many rifles out there, con and pro. the best rifle is the one you feel most comfortable and get behind it and shoot.