Rifles for monos - does diameter matter more?

Igloo

FNG
Didn't want to hijack an existing thread for this one and drag it away from OPs concerns.

So we know and see for sure that smaller bore rifles can be deceiving deadly with heavy for caliber bullets like the TMK etc. And we know that mono/non lead bullets (except a few in particular) do not fragment and make those kind of wider wound cavities.

With that in mind, does a wider diameter monolithic bullet offer more advantage than the same with lead cores bullets? Example, will a 30 cal 130gr TTSX with adequate speed kill noticeably faster than a 6mm 95gr LRX or 6.5mm of similar construction at adequate speed?

What have your results been?

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
yeah it hasn't really seemed to have been answered in that thread

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Example, will a 30 cal 130gr TTSX with adequate speed kill noticeably faster than a 6mm 95gr LRX or 6.5mm of similar construction at adequate speed?

No. Generally, if given a large enough sample size you would see the 6mm LRX kill faster on average due the slightly wider opening, and lower required impact velocity.

With TSX’s larger diameter was better for more reliable expansion due a larger nose opening. However with the tipped versions that’s not really a thing anymore.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Take this with a HUGE grain of salt. I am not an expert but i can provide a data point. I've run a .358 Winchester for a while. There really aren't any good long range bullets for it. So i developmented a load with 160 gr Cutting Edge bullets (Raptors i think). It was going 2700 fps so theoretically it could have worked to about 400 yards if Cutting Edge bullets really work below 1800 fps as claimed. They were extremely accurate. We ended up using them on two moose. I loaded a Cutting Edge on top with a lead bullet underneath (just in case the new bullets flopped). Both moose got a lead backup shot or two.
Both CE bullets lost petals as advertised and made decent hole. But I'm not convinced they were better then lead bullets. Close enough I think but not better.
I'm probably going to sell the .358 soon because the .223 and 6.5 threads have convinced me that my .358 probably won't do anything better then my .308 (which is easier logistically and easier to suppress).
So there you have it a significantly bigger non lead bullet if you'reinterested. But I think the DRT bullets get good reviews with smaller bullets.

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
No. Generally, if given a large enough sample size you would see the 6mm LRX kill faster on average due the slightly wider opening, and lower required impact velocity.

With TSX’s larger diameter was better for more reliable expansion due a larger nose opening. However with the tipped versions that’s not really a thing anymore.
Thanks for the info! Kinda surprised on that one. Cool!