Riflescope decisions

Hey guys, fairly new to this forum, and the knowledge and information presented here is phenomenal. I currently just purchased a Tikka T3x Lite SS in .270, and in the market looking for a new scope to top it with. I currently have a Zeiss Conquest MC 4.5-14x50 with exposed turrets that I want to sell and replace with something in the 2-10 or 3-9 range, and something with capped turrets. I had my eyes set on either the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 or the Meopta Optika5 2-10x42, but I am open to other suggestions. I'm using this rifle for all of my big game hunting, I'm in California, so mainly deer and pigs, with a chance of picking up a bear tag one day. My hunting style is mainly spot and stalk, and I don't expect to make a shot past 300-400 yards.

OP
K
The summary is that the only four brands that seem to work are SWFA, Trijicon, Nightforce, and Schmidt&Bender.
I realized that, I don't know if I could agree with that or not with my personal use. I'm not planning on dialing, so reseting back to zero wouldn't be an issue, and in general I take good care of the equipment. I think I'm pretty much set on the Meopta Optika5 in 2-10x42 without the parallax adjustment at this point. I haven't really heard anything wrong with them. Just need to get rid of the Zeiss Conquest first.

atmat

WKR
I realized that, I don't know if I could agree with that or not with my personal use. I'm not planning on dialing, so reseting back to zero wouldn't be an issue, and in general I take good care of the equipment. I think I'm pretty much set on the Meopta Optika5 in 2-10x42 without the parallax adjustment at this point. I haven't really heard anything wrong with them. Just need to get rid of the Zeiss Conquest first.
There’s plenty of “non-dialers” in those brands. Accupoint, SHV, certain Klassics, etc.

Most scopes that were tested didn’t even hold up to long car rides. It doesn’t matter how good you take care of your equipment if the scope just has a wondering zero.

SwiftShot

WKR
Nightforce, rugged as hell great scope. Swarovski is amazing glass but as a hunting buddy told me once. I admire the animal with binoculars or a spotting scope. That is what the pretty glass is for. When shooting it I just need to see it and the crosshairs. I am curious about the new, Burris Veracity PH Riflescope. It has a digital range dial readout in the scope. Once it is set up for your load data, you just use your range finder then dial it to the yards listed.

JFK

WKR
NF SHV 3-10. MOAR reticle with illumination. It’s almost perfect. I live in Ca and mostly hunt deer and pigs at similar ranges you mentioned. I also shoot a 270. Most shots I don’t need to dial, but dialed it last year on an elk hunt to 480, and have dialed it hundreds of times at the range with solid tracking and return to zero. The moar reticle could be improved, and my initial impression was that it wasn’t going to work well on wooded or brushy background, and after using it that just hasn’t been the case. Last shooting light the illumination definitely is nice to use though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
NF SHV 3-10. MOAR reticle with illumination. It’s almost perfect. I live in Ca and mostly hunt deer and pigs at similar ranges you mentioned. I also shoot a 270. Most shots I don’t need to dial, but dialed it last year on an elk hunt to 480, and have dialed it hundreds of times at the range with solid tracking and return to zero. The moar reticle could be improved, and my initial impression was that it wasn’t going to work well on wooded or brushy background, and after using it that just hasn’t been the case. Last shooting light the illumination definitely is nice to use though.
If the SHV 3-10 was mil/mil it might have one on all my rifles.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If it had an exposed elevation turret.
I personally like the capped elevation turret and several people on here have reported leaving the cap off works fine.

MOA and SFP combined keeps me going with other options. Though at the moment my preferences are honestly based on theory and aspirations as I don't shoot far enough for it to matter currently.

JFK

WKR
MOA and SFP combined keeps me going with other options. Though at the moment my preferences are honestly based on theory and aspirations as I don't shoot far enough for it to matter currently.

For a scope that tops out at 10x the SFP isn’t really a huge deal. The only concern people cite is that your holds aren’t accurate at anything but max power. But with a 10x max mag it’s not a big drawback. If you are shooting long enough to need to hold wind you’ll likely be on 10x anyway. FFP has drawbacks as well. I own one of the coveted SWFA 3-9 and the reticle straight up sucks until you get to mid magnification. Borderline unusable at 3x. So they all have pros/cons.