Rimfire Scope for Henry Lever - range and squirrel woods.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Next year I'm going to be spending a lot more time shooting. First year back after a long time and I spent so much time in load development for my 45-70 gg this year with a new powder (AA 5744, now) v. (IMR 4198, 2016) and cast bullet (Accurate 46-405VG, now) v. (46-425Q, 2016) that I rather stupidly am only finding out now how much my offhand 100 yard shooting has declined over the years with age and a progressive neuro condition. I'm hitting about 1.5 moa at the bench, 2 moa kneeling with a rest, 3 moa standing against a rest (e.g., shooting lane post, leaning up against it, trying to emulate a tree or something like that, for a quick woods shot), and offhand - forget it. Terrible. Working as much as possible with dry firing, recovering fundamentals, etc. But VERY late in the game and so the range of ethical shots I'm willing to take has been curtailed quite a bit.

So - next year, I'll be acquiring a Henry and wanting to scope it, much as that drives me nuts. I've accepted scoping the lever and scope my gg with a 2.5 x 20, so looking for a good rimfire with low profile that marries well to the Henry and it's 3/8" groove mounting rail.

Looking for as cheap as possible that will do the job in easygoing squirrel woods. Not "cheap" cheap and lousy, but neither am I looking for the same quality I'd like on my centerfire big game rifles. Thoughts?

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
The Vortex 1-6 PST II is phenomenal. I’m making hits out to 285.
Plus you can find them used for $450.
Thanks, but in all honesty that's way more than I'm looking to spend. This is really just practicing on a platform similar to my gg, but allowing me to burn a ton of ammo and bringing muscle memory back, and keeping it there through the spring and summer. I'd even just use a pellet gun, which we have, but looking for the scoped lever.

Appreciate the input though.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I used to love fixed 4x on rimfires.

I bought my kid a CZ Scout, stuck a 4x on it for him. Dang thing is so handy, I carried it a few times this year in squirrel season. For my eyes, I really missed the extra Xs I’m used to. I seemed to have a bit more trouble with headshots vs my normal 6xs +.

The Sightron 3-9 rimfire seems like a solid budget option. Only have about a year behind this one, but I don’t have any complaints yet.

I used to squirrel hunt a ton, and the 452 in the field pic was my main rifle. Had a Weaver V16 on it, and can say that most shots were taken at 10x and above.

Your eyes and woods may be different, but I really prefer more magnification than 4x.

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5036.jpeg
    IMG_5036.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5038.jpeg
    IMG_5038.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3972.jpeg
    IMG_3972.jpeg
    790.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for more input, guys, taking it in. VA, that's one beautiful rifle.

Last edited:

Curhunter

FNG
Burris Droptine rimfire for $120 on average. I have one in low rings on a Bergara bmr and it's a squirrel hunting machine. I don't use the ballistic reticle options, just sighted in at 50yds and hunt.
That's 5 shots @50yds trying to hit the 8 using cci mini mag from a bench.

image.jpg

Burris Droptine rimfire for $120 on average. I have one in low rings on a Bergara bmr and it's a squirrel hunting machine. I don't use the ballistic reticle options, just sighted in at 50yds and hunt.

View attachment 624228
That is a damn good scope for the money. I had one for quite a while and passed it on to my grandson.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A few years back before they were bought out Cabela's had their rimfire caliber specific 3-9 scopes on clearance for $49.99. I bought two in .22LR and two in .17HMR for my rifles. This is my Henry .22 with one of them. It's been flawless and has been a tack driver shooting free hand. I've been using the CCI CB Shorts with 40gr lead bullets shooting 710fps. I feel like my old pellet rifle days as a kid shooting rabbits and squirrels.
IMG_2293(1).jpg

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
A few years back before they were bought out Cabela's had their rimfire caliber specific 3-9 scopes on clearance for $49.99. I bought two in .22LR and two in .17HMR for my rifles. This is my Henry .22 with one of them. It's been flawless and has been a tack driver shooting free hand. I've been using the CCI CB Shorts with 40gr lead bullets shooting 710fps. I feel like my old pellet rifle days as a kid shooting rabbits and squirrels.
View attachment 624330
Thanks. Looks like Bass Pro/Cabela's still offers their .17 HMR but can't find one for the .22. They also offer their "Intensity Rimfire," not sure about it. But I'll dig around for one in 22 and take a look, many thanks.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 624228
Awesome - shooting and scope option. Thanks.