Rimfire mid range precision scope

I have picked up a rimfire silhouette habit. offhand steel shots from 40 to 100 yards. My current rig is a vortex 3-9 on a tikka t1x Shooting CCI mini mags. I placed top third in most matches and won one last year.

I am swapping my scope for a leupold 4.5-14 vx-3i for this year but I am thinking about something that would dial a bit more easily. This is a 100 yard rig max and I don’t want to break the bank. Is there some midrange glass in the 15-20x top magnification that I should look at?

Go check out the rimfire section on snipershide and see what they're running, lots of great info there. Shooting 22's at distance are extremely fun and you've got a great base rifle to do it. I would go ahead and get an Area 419 40MOA rail and an optic with 30mil +/- of travel to dial out beyond 300 yards. That will also get you everything you need to go shoot some NRL and PRS 22 matches which are a lot of fun and great wind training. There's a shit load of 22 matches all over the country now since basically any 200 yard range can put one on and they're very popular due to the low cost and equipment cost to shoot. If the budget allows the Tract Toric 4.5-30 ELR is a great option because of it's adjustment range and parallax.

You will get bombarded with responses of SWFA! SWFA! SWFA! but as someone who has shot 22's at distance a lot, you don't want slow turrets because you'll get lost in the revolutions because you do a shit load of dialing. Something with 10 mil per revolution turrets is most ideal.

I'd also look into some subsonic ammo, 22LR ammo that goes transonic in flight is nowhere near as accurate as loads that are below the speed of sound from the start. For cheap plinking loads the Norma Tac 22 and Match 22 usually do very well as does CCI standard velocity. From there you can spend over $.50/rd on 22 ammo for some of the top shelf Eley and Lapua choices but unless you're competing or very serious about shooting beyond 100 yards its not necessary.

I put a Nightforce SHV 4-14x40 FFP Mil on my CZ.22. It has a parallax that focuses down to 50 yards and a reticle that matches my hunting rifles, Mil-R. I would be inclined to recommend a scope for your rimfire that matches what your other rifles use, for the added benefit of training and familiarity. Just my thoughts anyhow.

Macintosh

WKR
You said its a 100 yard max rig, but you'd like something that dials easily…are you looking for a scope that will allow you to shoot longer range stuff as well (out to 300+), or are you looking for a scope with better dialing ability but still staying within 100?

If its what you are after, the 22 practical precision stuff (nrl, prs type) is super fun and I would echo the above— a rail and ffp scope combo that lets you dial 18-20mils, WITH a zero-stop, will allow you to be a lot more at home playing those games, as you’ll be spinning multiple revs a lot. Its really easy to get lost in your dial otherwise. For me, ffp is a 100% must-have for this kind of scope. Id look hard at used options if this is what you are after.

If that use case is not what you are after let us know.

OP
Desk Jockey
You said its a 100 yard max rig, but you'd like something that dials easily…are you looking for a scope that will allow you to shoot longer range stuff as well (out to 300+), or are you looking for a scope with better dialing ability but still staying within 100?

I haven’t tried to stretch it beyond 100. Not on my radar now. Just looking to up my game at 100 and noticing the guys that do this a lot run 20x scopes. i shot 5-6 matches last year. I liked it but can’t see making it something I do a lot of, in parts bc the local match overlaps with with my pistol matches.

Going to preface this by saying 1) my life does not depend on this and 2) my world will not end if the scope malfunctions.

I have a Razor LH (3-15x) on my T1X (17 HMR). A lot of the work is at 100 yards (shooting fundamentals) but it regularly gets dialed to 300 yards at one shooting range and out to 550 at another shooting range. This is my most dialed scope out of everything I own.

EDIT
May want to consider upgrading your scope on another rifle and passing down the current scope to your rimfire. That's what I've been doing and why my T1X has the Razor LH.

IMG_3002.JPG