Ring marks

JakeT

Lil-Rokslider
FNG here. Probably a dumb question but is there any tricks to not getting ring marks on a scope? I had a vx3 in talley lightweight rings torqued to spec and still got ring marks. Do ring marks bring the resale value down? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

blkqi

WKR
High quality rings and base mounted to a high quality action, or base bedded to factory action.

wapitibob

WKR
I lightly lap every set of rings and I also use a 1 piece rail that’s been checked for flatness and is bedded to the action to keep it flat.
The ring radius usually isn’t the issue, it’s the mounting of the two ring sets and keeping them cylindrical.

Gone4Days

WKR
I have 2 ultralight rifles with Talley’s and never have left marks. What are you using to torque?

TaperPin

WKR
A torque wrench helps a lot to avoid over torquing or under torquing. Even if you don’t lap them, smoothing over a sharp edge goes a long way. There is also a tape that can be added that is designed for added friction, but also eliminates metal to metal contact and cushions the pressure put on the tube.

Using the next size up and adding plastic reducing rings, or using Burris Signature rings also works.

Last edited:

Ramem7mm

FNG
Regardless what you do there will be some evidence of mounting the scope. Usually if you plan on leaving it mounted for awhile and hunt with it there will probably be other beauty marks come up along the life of the setup

OP
JakeT

JakeT

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 ultralight rifles with Talley’s and never have left marks. What are you using to torque?
I use the wheeler fat wrench I believe its called. The big yellow fat handled one.