Ripped Off On Gun Broker Purchase?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
So I bid on and won a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag from Randy Pacella/Loveland, Co who said he won it at a local RMEF banquet. To transfer a gun from a non FFL to a FFL a copy of the individual's DL has to be included either with the shipment or by email. So, the handgun arrives but no DL. No response from the Individual to the FFL and no response to my call or email. Actually, my calls are now all forwarded to his voice mail. My FFL is obligated to send the firearm back to him tomorrow if no DL is received. Wondering if this individual is actually an elk hunter if anyone out there knows him? Also, any LEO's or those with knowledge of such things have an idea of laws that may have been abrogated? I can't imagine why someone wouldn't provide a copy of their DL unless the firearm didn't actually belong to them. I paid him with a certified bank check.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time I've ever sent a copy of my DL to an FFL for a gun sale was when it was requested (about 1/4 of the time). Was a copy ever requested before he sent the gun?

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
The only time I've ever sent a copy of my DL to an FFL for a gun sale was when it was requested (about 1/4 of the time). Was a copy ever requested before he sent the gun?
Yes, I had let them know this was going to be a condition of the sale.

EastMT

WKR
I’ve done a lot of gun deals on GB, never requested or had my DL requested. Is this a law where you are or the FFL dealers rule? They always include their name and address for his records but I wouldn’t think he would send a stolen firearm to be intentionally ran through NCIC. Might be a bit apprehensive to transmit a electronic copy of his DL to someone he doesn’t know, I def would.

In fairness if you told him ahead of time, it should have been done as per the agreement.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve done a lot of gun deals on GB, never requested or had my DL requested. Is this a law where you are or the FFL dealers rule? They always include their name and address for his records but I wouldn’t think he would send a stolen firearm to be intentionally ran through NCIC. Might be a bit apprehensive to transmit a electronic copy of his DL to someone he doesn’t know, I def would.

In fairness if you told him ahead of time, it should have been done as per the agreement.

If he has a problem with the disclosure of his DL for any reason he could open a dialogue instead of forwarding calls to vm.

EastMT

WKR
Oh I agree, if it was agreed upon it should have been taken care of. Hopefully he is on a trip with no service and it works out well.

JWP58

WKR
I've never sold a gun as a private party and not provided a copy of my d.l. As far as I know to complete the transfer, the ffl needs the seller's info. I would do your best to notify him through as many venues (voicemail, email, gunbroker,ect) as possible and hope for the best.

Mosby

WKR
You might check with the police dept., in Loveland to see if the pistol was reported stolen and before it is sent back.

Idk the laws in ur state, but in my state it is only a check to see if the weapon is stolen, and a background check on the buyer. Doesn't matter who is selling it.
I don't think providing the license is an ATF law, but ur ffl rule. And why is he obligated to send it back?
Call another ffl in ur area.

Had the seller's phone rang thru for ether of you?
How do you know hes not bear hunting and out of service?
I think your ffl is pressuring you and more of a problem then the seller.

Scottyboy

WKR
Pretty sure pistols are required to go ffl to ffl tho

Exactly what I was thinking. In which case his DL wouldn’t be relevant. But if he shipped himself and let’s say standard ground shipping...big no no’s. Pistols must ship overnight if I am not mistaken.

But let GB know of any issues, they take things very seriously, and rightfully so.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Idk the laws in ur state, but in my state it is only a check to see if the weapon is stolen, and a background check on the buyer. Doesn't matter who is selling it.
I don't think providing the license is an ATF law, but ur ffl rule. And why is he obligated to send it back?
Call another ffl in ur area.

Had the seller's phone rang thru for ether of you?
How do you know hes not bear hunting and out of service?
I think your ffl is pressuring you and more of a problem then the seller.
My first call today rang and normally allowed me to leave a detailed message. All calls subsequent to that did not ring and were forwarded directly to VM.

this is straight copied from the atf website.

“In regard to transferring firearms between individuals residing in the same state, any person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the State where he resides as long as he or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Please note that there may be State and local laws that regulate firearm transactions. Any person considering acquiring or transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local firearms restrictions. A list of State Attorney General contact numbers may be found at http://www.naag.org/.”

tdhanses

WKR
I would call the local police and see what they say, if needed call the atf and get them involved. You have the receipts for the purchase, firearm was sent and is at your FFL. I do think your FFL is the main hang up.

He can easily transfer it to another FFL.

Hope you get it worked out.

But I dont see any reason your ffl HAS to send it back.
I'd ask him to hold until it until it is resolved.
What is the time line if he couldn't get ahold of you after he received it.?