Ripped Off On Gun Broker Purchase?

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Here are the guidelines for NJ and the current predicament.

Federal law requires dealers to log in and log out where guns come from and where they go. The easiest way to deal with someone who is non cooperative about providing ID (DL as proof of where the gun came from) is to send it back where it came from since an FFL can't have unbooked guns floating around - it will be an issue for them if they get audited and the ATF finds unbooked guns in their store.

This package was shipped Fed Ex express. There is no return address on the package and the tracking number came up as invalid when the FFL tried to track it. I'm sure Fed Ex can determine where it came from but if it was shipped from a Fed Ex store or hub the FFL won't be able to send it back, so their only recourse would be to contact the ATF so that they don't have a problem with an unbooked gun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
If be contacting the Loveland police Dept tomorrow am.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thank you. I will be.

Fatcamp

WKR
You also have state laws to follow. The OP is in NJ, I'm in CT. We have some of the country's most stringent laws. You could land in trouble just following federal laws.

That's covered under #16.

Honestly, if you need that explained to you it might be better just to deal with a local FFL sale.

I posted this to show what the FEDERAL rules are for interstate transfer. There are a bunch of posts in this thread about what people think, this is from the BATF themselves. Obviously if you live in state that has significant anti-2A regulations going on you had better watch your ass because there is probably someone excited about finding you breaking a rule.

Wrench

WKR
Leave him a voice and text message that states he needs to submit ID to the ffl or you'll notify BATF.

It's fair and reasonable. If he's sick or out of the country the atf can work it out.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Leave him a voice and text message that states he needs to submit ID to the ffl or you'll notify BATF.

It's fair and reasonable. If he's sick or out of the country the atf can work it out.
This has been done by email. After my first phone message I left all of my phone calls are now automatically forwarded to voicemail.

I will be calling the local PD to where he lives. The FFL is contacting the ATF after mid day today.

Labdad

FNG
That's covered under #16.

Honestly, if you need that explained to you it might be better just to deal with a local FFL sale.

I posted this to show what the FEDERAL rules are for interstate transfer. There are a bunch of posts in this thread about what people think, this is from the BATF themselves. Obviously if you live in state that has significant anti-2A regulations going on you had better watch your ass because there is probably someone excited about finding you breaking a rule.

I'm sure I don't need it explained. People that live in these states know the game. But if you from a " free state" send to my state, you have to follow CT rules too. Or the deal goes tits up. That's my point.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm sure I don't need it explained. People that live in these states know the game. But if you from a " free state" send to my state, you have to follow CT rules too. Or the deal goes tits up. That's my point.
It's not apparent to folks who don't live in fascist States.

Labdad

FNG
Holy shit.

So I suppose machine guns are out of the question?

Not entirely, but it's not easy. An old boss I worked for is a ffl and had the stamp. He had all kinds of autos. But he took them out of state to shoot. I don't know any outside gun range in CT that allows full auto.

Rich M

WKR
I'm glad I got out when I did (20+ yrs back, before the school shootings and such - before the income tax too).

We could use rifles for deer back then. I hear that has changed.

To OP - sorry you have to go thru this. Hope it works out.

tntrker

WKR
My first call today rang and normally allowed me to leave a detailed message. All calls subsequent to that did not ring and were forwarded directly to VM.

Straight to voicemail means phone is off or dead, I would assume. Not necessarily just your calls are forwarded. Hope it gets worked out..

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Straight to voicemail means phone is off or dead, I would assume. Not necessarily just your calls are forwarded. Hope it gets worked out..
If the phone was the only issue I wouldn't be posting anything on this but no response to emails, no return address on the package the gun was delivered in and seemingly a tracking number that seems erroneous. My flags are raised.

Trial153

WKR
Seems strange that the guy would even ship the gun if it was his intent to rip you off. Why even bother ?

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Seems strange that the guy would even ship the gun if it was his intent to rip you off. Why even bother ?
That seems to be the question of the day. If my FFL could hold on to the piece indefinitely until we could iron out the why I'd be good with that but with the strict NJ laws about having to book in a weapon with the documented info with proof of where it came from it's a major problem.