Rock Climbing Harness in Climbing Stand

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys, I have a stupid question about climbing harnesses. I’m not sure where the thread should go, but I figured the whitetail forum made the most sense.

I’m not ready to make the leap to a tree saddle yet. They just seem complicated, and I’m used to my climbing stands. I’ve got a Summit Open Shot climber and an X-Stand climber, both of which I really like. But I’ve been using the full body harnesses that come with stands, and watching the saddle hunting videos showed me how much more convenient a simple rock climbing harness could be to get in and out of and to add layers without taking it off.

The only problem is—and this may sound pretty stupid—neither of my climbers have any sort of bar on the front, and I’ve gotten really used to standing up and leaning out until the lifeline is taught, so I’m sort of dangling out over the area I’m hunting but in the opposite way as you would in a saddle. Similar to a saddle, you can kind of swing around for a wider shooting area with a bow. I really like hunting this way.

So, my question is sort of about this style of hunting and rock climbing harnesses. Firstly, if leaning out like that is really stupid and I should just stop, you can tell me. But it doesn’t feel all that unsafe when I’m doing it. Secondly, if I switch to a rock climbing harness where the line attaches in the front, leaning out like that would be pretty dangerous because I would risk swinging around. So, are there any climbing harnesses with a second connection in the back, or is that just dumb? I could get a tree saddle with connections on the side, but that’s $200 just for the sake of convenience. Does anyone know of a non-full body style harness that would work better for me? Thanks!

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I won't really be able to help you with the tree stand aspect of your question because i have almost no experience with them but I have been hanging around in climbing harnesses for work for the last 15 years. While I don't see any problem with leaning into a properly anchored harness, a rock climbing harness is designed to take your weight from the front and it will spin you towards that direction. Some companies like Metolius make overbuilt harnesses that can handle lots of weight in any direction but they are designed to be loaded from the front. I might consider leaning into the "haul loop" on the back of the harness as long as you have a dynamic connection to the anchor attached to the front "tie in point" of the harness as a backup.

Another thing to consider with a climbing harness as opposed to a full body is you want it tight around you waist. This is what keeps you from slipping out of it if you were to fall upside down. I would layer bulky insulation over the harness so you can keep it tight to your body. Make sure you understand how the buckles work, some climbing harnesses use different buckles from standard safety harnesses.

Reactions: Cng

LostArra

WKR
The attachment point in the front is not the problem folks think it would be. I've used a RC harness for many years and the short tether I use from the harness to the safety line has never interfered with any positioning or shooting with a recurve or compound bow. I lean out sometimes, especially when peeing. When shooting a bow I like one leg/foot anchored against the stand/tree for a more stable base. No bars on my stands.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you’ll set your climber up correctly, you won’t have to lean out like that. Nothing about what you described seems normal to me. At least not when I’m using a climber.

tntrker

WKR
Been contemplating the saddle harness idea a few years myself since I hunt public land. Carrying a stand as far back as I go is not fun, leaving them out there at the mercy of a thief, even locked, is asking for trouble eventually..Yes I take them down after season and stay within the law...

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I lean out sometimes, especially when peeing. When shooting a bow I like one leg/foot anchored against the stand/tree for a more stable base. No bars on my stands.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean here. Are you leaning straight out away from the tree? I usually have my feet planted on the front of the platform and lean forward about, I dunno, twenty degrees or so. It seems to me that if you're tethered in the front, this would spin you around.

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
If you’ll set your climber up correctly, you won’t have to lean out like that. Nothing about what you described seems normal to me. At least not when I’m using a climber.

I set my climbers up correctly, and I don't HAVE to lean out like that. I LIKE to. And I never said I was normal!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I set my climbers up correctly, and I don't HAVE to lean out like that. I LIKE to. And I never said I was normal!

lol. I see/talk to folks that have their top part too high and have problems when bowhunting.
I’d definitely recommend a RC harness, but you’ll have to lean out backwards.

Reactions: Cng

LostArra

WKR
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean here. Are you leaning straight out away from the tree? I usually have my feet planted on the front of the platform and lean forward about, I dunno, twenty degrees or so. It seems to me that if you're tethered in the front, this would spin you around.

My feet are positioned 90 degrees from what you describe. Maybe the full body harness with the behind-the-neck strap would be better for you. I can't imagine using those again.

wildmed

FNG
I second what others have said. I would skip the rock harness and just save up for a legit hunting saddle; you wont regret it. The thing that I think most new saddle hunters do that makes it hard for them is trying to "ease into it" and then they dont get the results they were expecting and say "it's not for me." What I mean is that, saddle hunting already comes with a bit of a learning curve and guys make it even harder on themselves to get over that learning curve by trying to save money and DIY stuff or not get the gear that is going to make it easiest for them to learn on. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with DIYing stuff, there is tons of DIY involved with saddle hunting, but when you are just starting out your best bet is not to try to build something yourself or simulate the real thing with gear designed for a different purpose. Just save your money until you are able to buy a saddle purpose built for saddle hunting that is tested and most importantly safe. If you end up dropping money on a legit saddle, the resale value is almost what they cost brand new because there is such a long wait time to buy one, so it is pretty low risk investment. Let me know if you end up going the saddle route, I have been hunting out of one for a few years now and would be happy to help out. Good luck and be safe!

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
You can get BD Vario speed harness for like 50 bucks shipped, it will do everything you need it to.

Based on photos, it looks like this harness only has a single attachment point in the front like all rock climbing harnesses. Am I wrong?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Cng,

After a few sits this year, I found a way that you can lean out forward in a RC harness. With you tied in at the front attachment, put the rope over your shoulder and lean against it. If adjusted correctly, it'll hold you up. If you get one, you'll just have to play around with it some, but definitely doable.

Maybe look into different kind of harness... the sport climbing harnesses dont have shoulder straps bc they are super light and not designed for inversion. Look at rescue harness or commercial harnesses. They will definitely be heavier but will incorporate shoulder straps and attachment point on your back. Cmc is one brand to look at.