Rockslide Special doesn’t like my ammo

I just purchased a T3x in 223 for my grandson.
He had been shooting a CVA Hunter in the same caliber.
That rifle shot the Barnes 55 grain TXS ammo sub MOA and was very good on game.
I am getting 1.5-1.75 groups from the Tikka. i checked all the torque on mounts and stock.
The scope is the one I took off the CVA.
Anyone else shoot the Barnes ammunition in their Tikka?
What are you guys shooting that will be good on game?TIA

atmat

WKR
What scope are you running? What mounts? Have you tried other ammo? Did you degrease everything? Did you clear your tikka’s barrel channels out a bit more? Are you groups 3-round, 5-round, 10-round, etc.?

The 77 TMK is beloved here.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Let’s start at the start and insure the delivery platform is solid.

Have you adequately free floated the barrel?

Disassembled, adjusted trigger, degreased all fasteners and the bolt assembly, Sportsmatch T084 or Unknown Munition rings, SWFA/Nightforce/Trijicon/Bushnell scope, locktight/paint pen/nail polished and torqued all fasteners?

Have you read the .223 for deer, elk, bear and moose thread? Quite a few bullet recommendations there.

1.5-1.75”. 10 round group?

cmahoney

WKR
My experience is hit or miss with Barnes bullets, your results don’t surprise me. I’d try a proven lead bullet and see how you do if you think your rifle is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some rifles just don't like certain bullets. That said, most of the time, if a rifle won't shoot sierra matchking bullets loaded properly, then something is wrong with the rifle or scope.

OP
Mr Drysdale
Scope was mounted correctly and everything degreased. Properly torqued. Scope is an older Prostaff that performed flawlessly on the rifle it was pulled from. Mounted in a DNZ Game Reaper mount. I have probably mounted and sited 50+ scopes over the years so I’m confident in my ability to do so. Just wondering if this ammo is not right for this rifle. Shot a box of ammo. Four five shot groups. There goes your $40. BTW also bought the same rifle in .308 and it is grouping sub MOA.

I’d start with that, if it were my rifles. If your CBA was a 1:9 and the tikka is a 1:8 you might have your answer. Otherwise it’s probably your choice of ammo. Try some Hornady 75gr HPBT and see how that does.

Motown

WKR
I tried 130gr TTSX factory ammo out of my 308 T3X and was lucky to get 2” groups with it. I also reload so I purchased some of the same 130gr bullets and after playing around slightly with the seating depth they shoot 1/2” or better.

Tikkas are throated long so that bullet has to jump a bit more. My guess would be that the bullet just doesn’t like that much jump and thats what is affecting your accuracy.

my tikka 223 has a lousy barrel, it averages 1.85 MOA 10 shot groups in multiple stocks, shooters, ammo, and SWFA scopes with sportsmatch rings. Can't wait for the PVA to show up.

Tmac

WKR
I have a couple Tikka's that shoot Barnes well, a couple that don't. I’d try a different bullet or three. If still no joy, then I’d start the scope, mounts, bedding…et al checking dance.

My tikka t3x lite 223 really likes the factory Hornady 73 ELDm ammo and you can find it online for less than $1/ea.

I'd shoot a whitetail with it!

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Nikon Prostaff, Gamereaper rings/mount. MOA reticle. Definitely not...

OP, buy some 75gr blackhills factory ammo. See if it likes those. Even better, handload some ELD-M or TMKs if you can.
I'm not sure if that's even a Rokslide Special...?

Last edited:
BTW also bought the same rifle in .308 and it is grouping sub MOA.
Swap scopes and see if the .308 is still groups sub MOA.
If not that prostaff might have taken a crap.
I had that happen to me. Had a prostaff mounted on a remington 700 .30-'06, took it off to mount on my granddad's old Savage 99 .308 to replace an ancient Bushnell for him. Remington shot MOA, Savage was 1.5-2 moa before the swap and did good to 4 moa after. Put Bushnell back on and back to 1.5-2 moa.

Could just be that particular gun doesn't like that bullet and you need to grab a few different loads to try.

Good luck

OP
Mr Drysdale
Found some Sierra Tipped Game King 64 grain ammunition locally and hit the range today. Two five shot groups under 1MOA. Wasn’t the gun, scope, mounts, free floated barrel or action screw torque. That rifle just did not like the Barnes 55 grain load. I know this rifle has an 8 twist so that must be it. Very familiar with the Game King bullet and will give it a try on Whitetails this fall.

Last edited:
Found some Sierra Tipped Game King 64 grain ammunition locally and hit the range today. Two five shot groups under 1MOA. Wasn’t the gun, scope, mounts, free floated barrel or action screw torque. That rifle just did not like the Barnes 55 grain load. I know this rifle has an 8 twist so that must be it. Very family with the Game King bullet and will give it a try on Whitetails this fall.
I had a hunch it was an ammo issue. I suspect you can do better yet when you try something heavier.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Found some Sierra Tipped Game King 64 grain ammunition locally and hit the range today. Two five shot groups under 1MOA. Wasn’t the gun, scope, mounts, free floated barrel or action screw torque. That rifle just did not like the Barnes 55 grain load. I know this rifle has an 8 twist so that must be it. Very familiar with the Game King bullet and will give it a try on Whitetails this fall.

It’s not a bullet weight thing with the twist, that barrel just didn’t like that specific ammunition. 30gr VMAX’s shoot great from 7” and 8” twists.