Rotating Case while Seating Bullets?

I’ve always raised ram till my ogive engaged the seating stem and then seated bullet in one stroke. I’ve read where some recommend seating bullet halfway, backing the case out, rotating it 180 degrees and then fully seating bullet.

I tried the rotating bit last night loading up 50 168 ELDMs in 308. I’m not sure if it will make a perceivable difference but hey it’s free.

Anyone else do this? If so, what’s the logic?

I think you'd have to measure runout and concentricity between the two techniques to see if there is any measurable difference. I've seen /heard people say the same thing. I've tried and directly compared overall group sizes between both and there wasn't any measurable difference for me between groups or velocity ES/SD. I did not measure runout, etc though (I view that as a waste of time for me).

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
G David Tubb was a proponent of that, and I've always done it with standard dies after hearing his recommendation. Never tested it to see if it makes a difference however.

OP
General RE LEE
I think you'd have to measure runout and concentricity between the two techniques to see if there is any measurable difference. I've seen /heard people say the same thing. I've tried and directly compared overall group sizes between both and there wasn't any measurable difference for me between groups or velocity ES/SD. I did not measure runout, etc though (I view that as a waste of time for me).

I’ve never added concentricity or run out to my process. I might be missing out but not sure I want to go down the road.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always done it with standard seating dies. I never measured runout so there’s no statistical validity to me, but as the OP said, it’s free. I’ve replaced several of my seating dies with Forster seating dies and don’t bother doing it with those, as it’s simply a much better design.

Mag_7s

WKR
I also do the incremental seating while rotating. I highly doubt it makes any noticeable or measurable difference on paper though. I think its mostly just a feel good measure. My run out usually measures from .0005 to .002.

rayporter

WKR
i like wilson inline seating dies strictly for ease of use and speed. you cant rotate the case with them but i never had a problem with runout, yet.

no problem with dies in a press either. if your dies are straight, you ammo will be.

If you are trying to squeeze every ounce of accuracy you can out of the reloading and shooting process, runout should be included. I think, for me at least, there are areas I can focus on that will give me more bang for the buck. Never noticed a difference between the two methods but have never really tested it that closely either.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I did all this sort of stuff to learn. After around 100k rounds I will probably not do it ever again. The easiest accuracy you will ever gain is to use a top quality, hand lapped, stress relieved barrel blank, have it chambered by a very picky gunsmith with a well designed reamer, and run good brass and good bullets. Lapua and Berger are the easy buttons. At that point, you will likely have a gun that can shoot <.5 moa for 20 shots.

The reloading black magic required to get it is zero. I have been using a Forster 2 die set in a Lee press to do it for years. If you want to shoot smaller you will need a benchrest bag set-up, good technique, and then you can start shrinking from <.5moa to around .25 moa with the reloading minutia and a few other tricks. Just to be clear, I am not talking for a few 5 shot groups, I am talking about consistently across the life of a barrel.

I don't shoot benchrest. For PRS shooting, 1/2 moa is better than good enough and for hunting you need even less precision than that. In reality, a true 1/2 moa system is damn rare compared to what people spout on the internet. In reality, you will become a lot better killer if you shoot thousands of rounds from field positions vs. investing a bunch of time at the bench to get a super precise gun/load combo.

By all means, if you have fun experimenting, go ahead and prove it to yourself. I was stubborn and spent the time, money, and ammo to do it. I used to find reloading an enjoyable hobby. Now I just want to shoot. I keep it simple and get good results by simply using good barrels, brass, and bullets. I don't have to practice reloading black magic to get there.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always raised ram till my ogive engaged the seating stem and then seated bullet in one stroke. I’ve read where some recommend seating bullet halfway, backing the case out, rotating it 180 degrees and then fully seating bullet.

I tried the rotating bit last night loading up 50 168 ELDMs in 308. I’m not sure if it will make a perceivable difference but hey it’s free.

Anyone else do this? If so, what’s the logic?
Hell no. It’s absolutely amazing to me the extra steps so many folks do while reloading. It’s not free, it’s your time.

Does your seater seat bullets crooked? Can you see a wobble when rolling it across the counter?

If folks shot enough 20+ rounds groups at longer range to test things, they would realize most of the extra steps they do don’t make a difference they can see on target in a field rifle.

Could it make a difference, possibly. I do not believe I am a proficient enough shooter to see those results though.

Juan_ID

WKR
I did this back when I first started reloading when it was suggested by a buddy who has a lot more experience than I and never saw any benefit. Needless to say I do not do it anymore and don’t plan to ever again. But if it makes you feel better then carry on

OP
General RE LEE
I did all this sort of stuff to learn. After around 100k rounds I will probably not do it ever again. The easiest accuracy you will ever gain is to use a top quality, hand lapped, stress relieved barrel blank, have it chambered by a very picky gunsmith with a well designed reamer, and run good brass and good bullets. Lapua and Berger are the easy buttons. At that point, you will likely have a gun that can shoot <.5 moa for 20 shots.

The reloading black magic required to get it is zero. I have been using a Forster 2 die set in a Lee press to do it for years. If you want to shoot smaller you will need a benchrest bag set-up, good technique, and then you can start shrinking from <.5moa to around .25 moa with the reloading minutia and a few other tricks. Just to be clear, I am not talking for a few 5 shot groups, I am talking about consistently across the life of a barrel.

I don't shoot benchrest. For PRS shooting, 1/2 moa is better than good enough and for hunting you need even less precision than that. In reality, a true 1/2 moa system is damn rare compared to what people spout on the internet. In reality, you will become a lot better killer if you shoot thousands of rounds from field positions vs. investing a bunch of time at the bench to get a super precise gun/load combo.

By all means, if you have fun experimenting, go ahead and prove it to yourself. I was stubborn and spent the time, money, and ammo to do it. I used to find reloading an enjoyable hobby. Now I just want to shoot. I keep it simple and get good results by simply using good barrels, brass, and bullets. I don't have to practice reloading black magic to get there.

I’ve found a rifle that shoots under to right at an inch is plenty for hunting and even shooting steel for fun out to 1K.

Best thing I’ve done for my reloading process is buying an AMP annealer. I’ve been using one for a couple years. My neck tension and shoulder bumps are consistent. Everytime I seat a bullet, it feels like new brass.