RRS ascend ??s

fbhandler

WKR
Anyone have a really right stuff ascend (preferably compact) with the integrated ball head that would be interested in some feed back ?

Things I’m wondering…

- with the lever lock for the ball attachment can it be adjusted to provide incremental tension or is it simply on or off ?

- how stable 1-10 would you say this set up is fully extended (aprox 59”) ?

1 maybe being almost unusable, 10 being rock solid… I’d be using it with a 4lb spotter.

Any info for me to kick around is much appreciated !

mm509

FNG
I played with a prototype a year or so ago. The ball head was very good, and the flexibility of movement and tension was perfect. If I recall, the lever for locking is very similar to their anvil 30 head, where if you want partial tension, you just don't cam it over. I personally don't like these heads for glassing purposes, where a true ball head performs much better. Now, I merely put a bag, coat, etc on a plate attached to the head, and use that as the base for my spotting and shooting. I haven't locked into the head for many years now.

Stability wise, I was shocked at how stable it was for the lightweight of the system. With that being said, it was nowhere near as stable as my 24L. On a scale of 1-10, I would say it was around a 3-4 while my 24L at the same height was around a 5-6, and the 33 or 34 being at a 7-8.
-A side note for tripod shooting; user knowledge and experience in shooting from a tripod is nearly more important than the stability of the tripod system itself.

BBob

WKR
I've had an Ascend almost since they were released. I have a compact but not the integrated ball head so I can't answer to that setup. The Ascend tri-lobe center column with the lever lock is more stable than round columns I've had with a twist lock. I pretty much use it near 100% of the time with just the short center column section so not much of an opinion with it at full length. I use it with optics up to near 8lbs with an Outdoorsmans Fluid Head on it and it's the most stable tripod I've used at it's weight. Obviously heavier tripods are more stable but that setup with the big glass isn't lacking for much at all. It should be very stable with a 4lb spotter.

Last edited:
OP
fbhandler

fbhandler

WKR
Appreciate the feedback guys… It seems to check a lot of boxes and I like the weight/height and the relative stability, but it’s defiantly a chunk of change !!

mm509

FNG
I've had an Ascend almost since they were released. I have a compact but not the integrated ball head so I can't answer to that setup. The Ascend tri-lobe center column with the lever lock is more stable than round columns I've had with a twist lock. I pretty much use it near 100% of the time with just the short center column section so not much of an opinion with it at full length. I use it with optics up to near 8lbs with an Outdoorsmans Fluid Head on it and it's the most stable tripod I've used at it's weight. Obviously heaver tripods are more stable but that setup with the big glass isn't lacking for much at all. It should be very stable with a 4lb spotter.
I agree with this statement 100%! With the stability to weight, this is a tough tripod to beat. I should note, I was shooting a 18 lb .308 off the tripod with the center column partially extended, and it was definitely shootable at 500 yards.

I think with an 8 lb rifle or lighter spotter, hanging a pack from it to add weight will benefit the stability in winds over 5 mph.

OP
fbhandler

fbhandler

WKR
I agree with this statement 100%! With the stability to weight, this is a tough tripod to beat. I should note, I was shooting a 18 lb .308 off the tripod with the center column partially extended, and it was definitely shootable at 500 yards.

I think with an 8 lb rifle or lighter spotter, hanging a pack from it to add weight will benefit the stability in winds over 5 mph.

Well… everything I’m looking that’s comparative in that weight/height category, I defiantly wouldn’t think I would be able to shoot off em, so that’s a soild testimony !!