Vortex Optics Switchback Tripod

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,
Many of you know already but Vortex released a new tripod today. I was fortunate enough to receive one for testing and wanted to give you some quick specs. First, I am excited about this tripod because it bridges the gap between a dedicated shooting tripod and a glassing tripod.

Here is what Vortex says about it,
The Switchback was designed for hunters and competitive shooters who need a compact, yet super-stable platform for precision shooting and backcountry glassing. Coming in at an MSRP of $779.99, the tripod supports heavy rifles and optics, delivering fast setup and adaptability in any environment whether you’re sitting, kneeling, standing or prone.

Some high-level specs:
  • Weight: 4.6 lbs
  • Folded length: 29”
  • 44 lb max load
  • Minimum height: 5.8”
  • Max height: 65”
  • 3 twist-lock leg sections
  • 3-single leg pivot locks
  • Lockable ball head
  • Carbon fiber construction

Now, on my scale, the tripod came in a little less at just under 4 pounds, 8 ounces

My first impressions are pretty solid (pun intended) and this tripod is very solid for the size of the legs. the ball head adjusts similarly to a RRS Anvil 30 or the leofoto copycat if you are familiar. its a very solid ball head. there is a twist knob to adjust tension and another to allow panning. The panning lever is very sensitive, just a little will allow you to pan while glassing and if you open it up more than 1/4 turn, the head becomes way too loose. The Switchback's arca clamp is a twist lock and locks down hard. I would like to see a version with a throw lever style clamp as long as it doesn't add extra weight.

I shot off of this tripod and while I prefer to shoot off of a dedicated shooting tripod still, it did really well and is surprisingly steady locked in. While I don't see myself backpack hunting with this tripod as of now, it does fill a big void in the tripod arena for me. I will definitely be using it on hunts this year. I also shot off the tripod not locked in but using a tac table and bag. I shot just as well (or just as bad!) as I did off my dedicated shooting tripod.

The only draw back for this tripod that I see and this is totally user preference, is I do not like glass with a ball head! I much prefer a pan head however I think with more use, ill become more comfortable with the ball.

With that said, the head is removable but there are not any other options at this time. It does give me hope in the future though that this product will expand with more options.

I'll be posting more on this tripod in the coming weeks but what are your thoughts?

c5de0ff67ef9478f895fc2de65116ca2.jpg

0d24e8c1b96cc4252cbed3eeff9776d7.jpg

c23c363d2dbd133b53ac59d143512f00.jpg

48f221984b00c534ccc5a0d6ec4a6243.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check your emails if you are signed up for vortex. There is more info and a video on the new switchback carbon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Good run down, I always appreciate when people put time and detail into posts like this one.

It’s a touch heavy to me for anything backpacking, like you said. Im confused by the screw clamp vs lever for a dedicated. shooting head as well.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
what does this do that a 180$ slik 824 wont?

Ummm give you a stable platform to shoot off of. It is a completely different design than then an 824. The 824 is designed for still photography and the vortex carbon switchback is designed to shoot a rifle and glass with binos.

Some of the big differences-
Vortex designed for shooting so thicker legs
Head is a ball head with an actually decent lock.

There is no center Column which aids in stability for shooting

This vortex is much taller.

I have the 824 and these are totally different animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good run down, I always appreciate when people put time and detail into posts like this one.

It’s a touch heavy to me for anything backpacking, like you said. Im confused by the screw clamp vs lever for a dedicated. shooting head as well.
I think screw vs lever is a personal preference, but I find lever faster for switching over.