Rucking weight?

TxxAgg

WKR
Is there an ideal weight for rucking?

As in % of body weight? Or just overall weight?

Does it change based on flat vs mountainous terrain?

*zap*

WKR
Imo that depends on the 'other' factors. Age, current fitness level, year round training consistency, injuries, other types of training you do regularly....

Read these:

Imo that depends on the 'other' factors. Age, current fitness level, year round training consistency, injuries, other types of training you do regularly....

Read these:

These articles are great. I learned a ton, even convinced the wife we need to load up some packs and get walking.

OP
TxxAgg

TxxAgg

WKR
Sounds like I'm in the ballpark. Usually at 45-65 pounds.

Great references above. 50lbs is my pretty consistent training weight, but I'll mix it up and go heavier and slower sometimes.

dtrkyman

WKR
More weight or steeper hills!

I don't ruck with a lot of weight, do not want to beat up my knees. Maybe it is the wrong idea but my pysical health is excellent as far as injuries go I have none, can always be in better shape imho.

87TT

WKR
I start out at 24 or 25 and kick it up as I get stronger. Right now a 44. I will bump it again as I get closer to the season. 3 1/2 miles every day with a nice steep hill at the end. Oh and I am 70. Afterwards I sometimes shoot my bow with the pack on too

I also like to mix it up, between 45 and 65 pounds, more hills and less, pavement and woods trails. Is it ideal? I don't know. I figure the heavier weights tune my back and connective tissues to the strain they may see in the fall, lord willing. The woods trails train my ankles. And anything is better than nothing.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Mixing up your pace, ruck weight, and terrain will dramatically improve your fitness and reduce potential of injury. I will intermix a solid run/airborne shuffle/ jog with 10-30lbs for 2-4 miles and then go on a 75lb 18 minute mile pace for about 3.5miles. If I am doing 7-10 miles, I stick with a max of 30-40lbs at a 15min/mile pace.
The pace difference will change what leg/hip flexor/ back muscles you use, and at what intensity/duration they are used for

TheViking

WKR
I start in the spring with 25#s, jump to 50#s as summer comes, add another 10-15# a few weeks before season.

50#s is a good sweet spot, IMO, but definitely work up to it (easier on the body).

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
20% of body weight for people new to it or all day efforts is a starting point. 40% seems a max, and my speed slows a lot. 40% and above, multiple trips are faster with less injury risk.

That's me, 52, and diabetic, not trying to impress/brag/lie, just trying to keep on..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

If you are trying to gauge what weight you should train with, I would say how much can your core handle? I would go as far as to say if you can't hold a plank for 60 seconds you shouldn't be rucking for exercise. You WILL end up hurting your back or hips, maybe not this year, but eventually it will happen. You can accomplish the same results with less wear and tear with low impact cardio implements that won't break you off as much as rucking. Think about your capacity for a full week of training. Can you train on a bike in zone 3 for an hour and be able to get up and do a strength training session the next day? Most likely yes. Can you ruck in zone 3 and get up and strength train the next day? Maybe but you aren't going to have the same capacity for work as you will if you utilize a bike. Aerobic capacity is the gateway to fitness that lasts years. I am 6' 250 lbs and can hold an 11:30 minute pace on flat land with a 60 lb ruck for 5+miles. I do about 10 training rucks a year (not counting hiking trips and hunting). If you don't have really good form you are only hurting yourself rucking. I have recently been dealing with some serious back issues from work related heavy rucking that I did on a regular basis for over a decade. Just my two cents

TaperPin

WKR
I’m from a town that offers a lot of high country backpacking trips, often a lot of teenage girls from back east who have never seen a mountain. A month long trip used to start out with 70 lb packs. Its nice to stroll around the park with light weight, but if you’re physically able there is no substitute for a heavy pack - just like the little girls from back east do.

Having said that, I used to hike 14ers in Colorado on weekends and just one quick paced 6 hr trip with a light day pack got me in better cardiovascular shape than slow jogging 5 miles every day, and built up mountain muscles almost as well as frequent backpacking, but weight bearing shoulder and hip muscles need heavy weights.

I’m from a town that offers a lot of high country backpacking trips, often a lot of teenage girls from back east who have never seen a mountain. A month long trip used to start out with 70 lb packs. Its nice to stroll around the park with light weight, but if you’re physically able there is no substitute for a heavy pack - just like the little girls from back east do.

Having said that, I used to hike 14ers in Colorado on weekends and just one quick paced 6 hr trip with a light day pack got me in better cardiovascular shape than slow jogging 5 miles every day, and built up mountain muscles almost as well as frequent backpacking, but weight bearing shoulder and hip muscles need heavy weights.
Lol

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

What do these teenage girls wiegh?

They must have been part of the girl scout special forces.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
When you’re dragging ass and these gals pass you because they still have 5 miles to go you’ll feel old. Lol

Attachments

• 85C184F3-B236-4B43-A91B-A882F2AC9C48.jpeg
    85C184F3-B236-4B43-A91B-A882F2AC9C48.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 110