ruger 10-22.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
i have a ruger 10-22 laminate stock i got a few years ago. i put a 3-9x32 on it like it but i wanted a bigger objective so i got a used 4-16x50 at 50 yards i can put 4 rounds you can cover with a quarter. but the gun was made in 1998 and i want to put a lighter trigger the trigger it has now is about 5 pounds the trigger it came factory with is metal the new replacment triggers are composite. so can i put diffrent springs in it and make it lighter or do i have to put a replacment trigger in there. i use it as a squirell gun and trapline gun. i also want a inxpensive ammo thats better at killin squirrels than what i have now what i have now if you hit in the shoulder area it will not exit i tried cci stingers but they where a ittle pricey for 50 rounds any recomendations.(the ammo i have now is the winchester m 22 i got it in a 1000 round pack for christmas the year after i got the gun)

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend sending your trigger group to Brimstone for an $85 trigger job that will replace the shoe, reduce the pull weight to between 2-2.5lbs, and add an overtravel stop. It makes a huge difference and is less expensive than many of the replacement trigger groups.

Lots of guys speak highly of Brimstone and Kidd triggers.

I’ve used a couple of the Ruger BX triggers. They’re simple and a fair price, except I didn’t care for sending Ruger money for a trigger they should have put in the rifle before I purchased it. Plus it sounds like you’d like a metal trigger.

So far as 22 ammo goes, I’ve tested quite a few options. The “hyper” velocity stuff like Stingers, Super-X, and Super Maximum doesn’t group as well and is pretty destructive on small game.

The subsonic stuff is generally the most accurate, but range is limited if you don’t dial or do holdovers. We use that for squirrels but 99% of our shots are inside of 35 yards. Anguilla and CCI both have good options.

For standard rounds we shoot a lot of Federal followed by Winchester. And avoid Remington and that new cheap stuff from the Philippines (Armscorps) like the plague.

I’d go buy a couple boxes of stuff and do a little testing. You’d be surprised. Accuracy is more important than bullet in my experience since squirrels are easy to kill. My three kids kill ‘em with a 17 pellet gun.

Good luck.

Here’s three ten-shot groups from a 10-22 with a BX trigger and a suppressor just a couple weeks ago. I’d have to check the ammo at the cabin but pretty sure the federal is the blue box bulk stuff, CCI subs, and Anguilla subs on the bottom. Target was 35 yards.

Too bad the 10/22 doesn’t reliably cycle subs, at least my setup. We’re gonna wear some squirrels out next weekend and I’ll probably still use that setup since it’s so quiet and I don’t need follow up shots very often. And that’s pretty close to ten shots in the same hole.

C1D494A8-5960-4B3C-A9B7-C3BC5975621B.jpeg

Pokerface

FNG
Rimfire Central site has lots of info. BX trigger is straight up simple improvement. Was recommended VQ target hammer upgrade kit that looked good but have not tried yet… Joe

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
The volquartsen (sp?) Hammer will give you a nice light 2lb ish trigger pull. A huge improvement for 40ish dollars. As far as ammo goes, try cci mini mags. My go to for a hunting round.

jimh406

WKR
The Ruger BX trigger is a great deal. If you look around, you can buy them for around $50-60. Complete drop in. After removing the stock it’s a couple of pins from being complete. 2 1/2 - 3 lbs after the swap.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
If you go the BX trigger route, it may be an improvement, but will depend on the trigger group you get. It will have a lighter pull weight than the oem trigger, but overtravel and reset won't be optimized. That's why I suggest sending your metal trigger group to Brimstone for the Standard/Tier 2 trigger job.

Otherwise if you get the BX and still don't like it you can send it in to Brimstone but then you're out the additional cost of the BX vs using the trigger group you already have.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
If you go the BX trigger route, it may be an improvement, but will depend on the trigger group you get. It will have a lighter pull weight than the oem trigger, but overtravel and reset won't be optimized. That's why I suggest sending your metal trigger group to Brimstone for the Standard/Tier 2 trigger job.

Otherwise if you get the BX and still don't like it you can send it in to Brimstone but then you're out the additional cost of the BX vs using the trigger group you already have.
yeah thtas probally what i am gonna do. how much is it to send my metal orignal trigger.

Pdzoller

WKR
In my opinion, Volquartsen for pretty much everything 10/22. For ammunition, I use CCI mini mags. They cycle well in my rifles and make pretty decent groups.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
If you place the order for the trigger job from Brimstone Gunsmithing they will send you shipping info. Basically put the trigger group in a ziplock and then in a padded shipping envelope. USPS has a shipping calculator if you want to check ahead of time but it's not much.
i was looking at sending it to brimstone but i am gonna probaly get a ruger bx trigger i can get the for 50 dollars cause all i have to do is pull the pins out of my stock trigger then put the bx trigger in. in stead of not haveing my gun for 3-12 weeks. i will decide this summer after squirrel season is over for wich one i want.

jfvhpilot

FNG
You can get the Volquartsen hammer kit. Easy to install and is a great improvement. Also, look at the Kidd website. They make the best triggers. You can buy a trigger kit and install it yourself. Much cheaper than buying one of their drop-in trigger units. But, their triggers are the best.