Ruger American 22-250

Would a ruger American predator in 22-250 make a decent coyote/ bobcat rifle?

or is this a cheap gun. Don’t know much about it. It’s has a low price point wanted to see what you guys thought.
Thanks

it'll go bang , but yes they are cheaply built hence the low price point. They had tons of problems with their rotary magazine !

My cousin has one in 243 and will outshoot most guys at the range with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Not sure if it’s worth spending more on a predator gun that I am gunna use twice a year

as @Goodtimekiller stated they actually shoot pretty good for a cheaply built rifle. Biggest problem is the rotary magazine (google ruger american rotary magazine problems). If your only gonna use it a couple times a year I'm sure it'll be fine for you.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only thing I didn't like in the Ruger American 22-250 was the 1 in 10" twist barrel. I like to shoot 50gr Vmax and they shoot better in the 1 in 14" barrels in my experience.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I
Would a ruger American predator in 22-250 make a decent coyote/ bobcat rifle?

or is this a cheap gun. Don’t know much about it. It’s has a low price point wanted to see what you guys thought.
Thanks
Have one of those in that caliber, shoots better than some rifles 2 or 3 times it's price. And it's not too pretty so I don't feel bad when it gets scuffed up. Don't let the price fool you

colby12

WKR
I’ve got 2 American predators. Both shoot well, one has a mag problem. I would buy another if I needed another caliber. You also don’t feel bad tossing them in the truck or letting them get banged around. Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions but I really like them.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mine in 243 with 55-60 grain stuff kills just fine. As noted, the rotary magazine hangs up a bit on the second round on mine, but it’s not been a critical factor yet. Like my old Remington 788, it’s ugly but does everything I need.

I have two, neither is stock. They're fun relatively inexpensive project guns for me. A 308 in a Magpul stock and the .204 Predator in an LSS-XL. The 204 shot great in the original stock and now shoots spectacularly. When the wind behaves it'll shoot .5 MOA. I'd buy another one in an instant if I had the right use for it, in fact, I wouldn't mind one in 300bo to shoot 100% suppressed.

IMG_1917.jpg

Ruger Americans are great shooters! Great price is just a bonus. I have the predator series in 22-250 with a Leupold scope and it’s a great coyote gun

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the barreled action of the American predator and the precision’s are the same. So, the base is great to build on and very accurate. A new magpul stock and mag system would make it a whole new rifle.

I did what you're talking about & didn't wanna spend a fortune. Got that exact gun & topped it with a Meopta Optika 6 (3-18 x 50). I have no complaints so far. It doesn't get out of the barn much & it does fine for what it is.

WCB

WKR
Buy one and get an extra magazine incase you run into a mag problem.

Laramie

WKR
No issues with mine and it is reasonably accurate. For the money, they are a pretty good gun imo.

RS3579

WKR
I have two, neither is stock. They're fun relatively inexpensive project guns for me. A 308 in a Magpul stock and the .204 Predator in an LSS-XL. The 204 shot great in the original stock and now shoots spectacularly. When the wind behaves it'll shoot .5 MOA. I'd buy another one in an instant if I had the right use for it, in fact, I wouldn't mind one in 300bo to shoot 100% suppressed.

View attachment 350623
What stock is that? Will it adjust down to the size for a youth?

I believe the barreled action of the American predator and the precision’s are the same. So, the base is great to build on and very accurate. A new magpul stock and mag system would make it a whole new rifle.

I thought these barrels are "pressed" in and not a traditional installation method and are basically disposable when shot out?

I have an American in 243 Win. Shoots VERY well and being left handed, this is pretty close to my Ultimate Truck gun. For $349.....it shoots lights out. If it breaks....who cares.

I have the Predator version in 6.5 Creed. With an aftermarket 4 port brake it shoots 130 ELD-M to same POI as when I have a Thunderbeast threaded to it. A really really amazing rig for $431.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I thought these barrels are "pressed" in and not a traditional installation method and are basically disposable when shot out?

Pressed in? It’s a barrel nut fit up like a savage.

travis78b

FNG
I'll add to the growing chorus. I bought one in 6.5 and it is solid rifle. Runs ELDX, Match... Whatever. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.