S&B Klassik 3-12....reliable and good stuff?

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Do you have a link? Not seeing anything on their website.

For what its worth, I had a turret installed on mine in January and they siad nothing about a new turret—I asked because the diagram on their website shows 4.8mils for this scope, but they had some explanation about how it was really 3.2….and my turret is definitely 3.2. I actually think its a great hunting turret, very easy to set the zero stop and use, but folks should know that the turret itself is the limiting factor in elevation, so using a rail will not add any elevation.

This is the diagram at this link—same as its been for a while. Id love to know for sure if there is actually a 4.8mil turret for the 3-12x42. They certainly arent great about communicating this stuff.

View attachment 539683
The 48 cm might be using this other turret/dial, it is not their 3.2 mil dial but has 4 clicks per number and doesn't seem to correlate to a 0.1 mil based system. (Took it off the 3-12x50 BDC scope on Eurooptic's page)

1680809695523.png

Macintosh

WKR
Id love to know if you call. Heck, if its just the turret if you already have the bdc that could make a big diff for some people, as that gets most cartridges out to 600+. Thats a long way for a hunting shot for me.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Jay, when I have the time I will give Jerry a call and see what he says, if I can find his number.

If they are truly offering it, can probably just buy the new turret and replace the 3.2 mil.

I emailed Jerry this morning with a couple of questions about if it would be drop in and cost if drop in. I also asked about cost if not a drop in on one that had previously been converted and one that hadn't had the conversion.

I'm guessing the 4 click version you pictured is in MOA. I know for the ones I've sent in previously they needed to know if the BDC was to be MIL or MOA.

OP
J
I am away out of the loop, but the OP. I am getting more confused and turned off with each post. An NXS 2-10X42 seems much more turn key.

Are some of the S&B values 1cm at 100m? Which is not Mil.....which really adds another calibration or value into my hodge podge of scope values. I have mostly MOA. A handful of Mil. I'd prefer to not add 1cm-100m also.

Macintosh

WKR
AFAIK 1cm @ 100m is the definition of .1mrad, which is the click value of every mil rifle scope I've ever used. 1mrad=10cm @ 100m, or 10 clicks if the adjustment value is .1mil. I know there are some different systems (for artillery, surveying?) that are slightly different, but I dont think you'll find many mil riflescopes that arent 1cm/100m=1click, it's the standard adjustment just like 1/4moa is the standard adjustment on an MOA scope and 4clicks=1moa.

Simple enough to me--nothing wrong with an nxs, just different animals. NXS 2-10x, 2nd focal plane, not as good glass, but not limited by turret travel. S&B klassik 3-12x, 1st focal plane, better glass, limited by the bdc turret to 3.2mils elevation travel (500-550yds in most cases). Weight is virtually identical. As far as turnkey, the 3-12x42 with p3l reticle is available from the factory with BDC turret or with a capped turret. Several of us posting here had these scopes with capped turrets and S&B installed the BDC turret, which is why we are talking about aftermarket installs, etc, but they are available either way.

If you dont intend to shoot past about 500 yards you could do a heck of a lot worse than flipping a coin between these two. If you need more range than the BDC turret will allow (3.2mils) the S&B is not a good option. MAYBE there's a new turret that would give 4.8mils for 600-650yd range, the banter is trying to figure out if this actually exists for this scope.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I am away out of the loop, but the OP. I am getting more confused and turned off with each post. An NXS 2-10X42 seems much more turn key.

Are some of the S&B values 1cm at 100m? Which is not Mil.....which really adds another calibration or value into my hodge podge of scope values. I have mostly MOA. A handful of Mil. I'd prefer to not add 1cm-100m also.
Well, how most people use mil (lets call it shooters mil), 1 cm at 100 yards is mil as used, but more accurate in its expression.

The below is really needless details, it should probably be ignored.

This is because a radian measures arc length between two points, not linear distance. Being a curved line, arc length will always be longer than linear distance. If having to go from angular measure (mrad/MOA) to linear this introduces compounding error. If you stick with angular measures, it does not matter.

Now, the true question is, do some manufacturers make mrad that is true mrad while others make their mrad as shooters mrad? Shooters mrad is all I ever hear talked about in the shooting community, and my guess is all scopes use it, otherwise tall target tests would come up a touch short consistently.

So I am looking at one of these. If I buy one, do I have to send it back in and pay to have an elevation turret installed?

I love the Klassiks but had a 6x42 (10 years old) and 8x56 (from new) both fail to hold zero. Used them a lot. Both Hungarias. The 6x42 erector system totally failed, was on a AR15. The 8x56 had this thing where windage would shift a couple clicks back and forth. Bolt action 223. Other than that I love these S&B Klassiks and I'm tempted to go back and trying the German assembled ones. I just trust my SHV 3-10s more than I would a 3-12 Klassik. No zero stop but I get by.

This is what I did. Had the BDC turret added and parallax adjusted to 200 meters. I love the scope. I’ve owned them all and it sits on my primary hunting rifle.
And the turret spins clockwise instead of the traditional counter clockwise?

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
I have the scope mounted on a .308 and it is a very good, “classic” style optic for most hunting. My gun is used mainly for all purpose hunting; specifically WT to 500 yards or so and it’s perfect. Mine has the illuminated dot. For the money, it’s tough to beat. I would buy another for a gun that I plan to dial occasionally. For a plains game rifle, it would be ideal.

eamyrick

WKR
Update: Talked to Jerry, he is going to check with Klaus at S&B to see if the 4.8 mil dial is a direct replacement for the current 3.2 mil dial, or if it would require replacing the mechanism as well. He suspects it has a different mechanism to allow the 4.8 mils in one revolution. We shall see...
Thanks for following up. I’ll wait before I order my next one

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Update: Talked to Jerry, he is going to check with Klaus at S&B to see if the 4.8 mil dial is a direct replacement for the current 3.2 mil dial, or if it would require replacing the mechanism as well. He suspects it has a different mechanism to allow the 4.8 mils in one revolution. We shall see...

I'd emailed Jerry a while back and he was going to check with Germany. I haven't received a response from him since then. I doubt it's any delay from Jerry...he's been very quick on all my communications with him in the past. On the other hand, in my experience, getting info from Germany has been not so quick or reliable.