S.O.S. Elk Illiterate Seeking Advice For Helping Physically Challenged Hunter October Elk Hunt

My 60yr old father is roughly 350lbs w/ 2 bum knees.
Was planning knee replacements for this year and drew his bull tag unexpectedly with 16 preference points. Likely the only bull tag he'll ever hold, at least in our home state of SD.
He's an excellent shot anything's 600 yards and in will be no problem.

He did about four miles chasing a big Antelope last year in Fairly moderate Hill Country.

We plan on on getting in early and taking our time getting to whoever we plan to sit.

Just looking for any tips to increase our odds.

I'm an avid Open Country Deer Hunter with zero physical limitations and well accustomed to logging a ton of miles on foot but will not be doing my first elk hunt until November down in Colorado and TBH have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to chasing elk.

Really need to get this to come together for the old man!

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
Do you mind sharing which unit? I've hunted unit 1 quite a bit. I've hunted unit 2 a couple times, but there are people who know it much better than me. If it's unit 2 I'd get in contact with Brotsky over on the Bowsite in the SD forum. He always seem happy to lend a helping hand.

OP
W
Do you mind sharing which unit? I've hunted unit 1 quite a bit. I've hunted unit 2 a couple times, but there are people who know it much better than me. If it's unit 2 I'd get in contact with Brotsky over on the Bowsite in the SD forum. He always seem happy to lend a helping hand.

Unit 3.
He should have told me he was putting in and for which unit.
I'm the research hound of the family and could have told him that his theory of unit 3 being good just bc it butts up to the park is erroneous bc they have not been letting down the fence at Wind Cave for quite a few years now, which he didn't know.

We have a few friends out that way, but we'll see, I guess.

Fundamentally, I have a hard time feeling bad for him bc his condition was self induced, but all the same, he's my father and I know it's a huge lifetime goal for him.

He's very capable for his size, but the recent deterioration of his knees is the big problem.

All we can do is lots of homework and hope for the best!

OP
W
If hunting unit 3 there is some CHAP land west of Pringle on trail 315 that would be worth looking at. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I know exactly which CHAP you're talking about.
Conveniently, it's right up the road from our friend's hunting cabin!

Much appreciated!