S&W 329pd for backcountry carry

Does anyone carry a 329pd as their sidearm in grizz country? I have been researching them and just wanted to see if anyone has an experience with carrying one. What loads to you run? I have heard stories of the real heavy buffalo bore loads causing crimp jump. Does anyone load their own rounds?

For its intended purpose of a lightweight packable revolver it seems to do well from what I’ve read.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
I have a couple of them; very nice to pack compared to my Smith 629 or Ruger hunter. The heaviest Buffalo Bore that is safe to shoot in the 329 is the 255 gr. I do load 240 gr hard cast for mine.
Tons of threads on "bear guns" but I found once I got a 329 I always take it because of the weight.

Reactions: dla

hodgeman

WKR
I've had one for several years that I carry in a Gunfighter's Kenai. You quickly forget it's there- completely unobtrusive.

I've shot a few Alaska Backpacker 320gr loads through it. Everything functioned fine, but recoil was just over the top. Plain old 240gr .44 Mag loads do just fine.

I load 240gr XTPs or 240gr. JFPs over H110 and my practice loads with 240gr Plated bullets over CFE Pistol at 950-1000fps. The practice loads are about halfway between a .44 SPEC and a .44 MAG.

Reactions: dla

dla

WKR
Here is some bathroom reading material you might find helpful -

I've owned one for 10 years now and have put about 4500 rounds through it. My bear country trail load is 270gr WFN@1150fps, my cat/blacky load is 240gr XTP@1200fps and my social load is 240gr lswc @900fps.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCG

Beendare

WKR
Not a ton of experience with one. I've used a buddies a few times on hunts and shot it multiple times...a pleasure to carry vs my steel frame 629.

We reload and make sure of a good crimp. The manual mentions that as a critical factor with these....I've personally never heard of it happening.

The other factor I have seen with these 329's is hammer lock. The newer 329PD's have a hammer lock [at least here in CA] that the recoil can cause that locking mechanism to wedge against the hammer causing a stoppage. Its easy to remove that lock....I would.

PCG

FNG
Here is some bathroom reading material you might find helpful - https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/s-w-329pd-info

I've owned one for 10 years now and have put about 4500 rounds through it. My bear country trail load is 270gr WFN@1150fps, my cat/blacky load is 240gr XTP@1200fps and my social load is 240gr lswc @900fps.

Thanks for the link to your report on the 329 (Great Info). I just purchased one in New Zealand. Ammo options down here are very limited. Could you safely run Hornady 300gn XTP factory loads in the 329PD?

dla

WKR
Thanks for the link to your report on the 329 (Great Info). I just purchased one in New Zealand. Ammo options down here are very limited. Could you safely run Hornady 300gn XTP factory loads in the 329PD?
Yes. That is a very good load. 4" velocities (1000-1100fps) won't cause much expansion and the bullet will give good penetration.

PCG

FNG
Great. Would the penetration be good enough for effective brown bear defense? Say in Montana or Idaho?

dla

WKR
Great. Would the penetration be good enough for effective brown bear defense? Say in Montana or Idaho?
I don't know whose ammunition you're referring to, but the manufacturer HSM loads the 300gr XTP to 1200+fps - which is more than plenty. Yes, that would be excellent against Montana/Idaho Grizzly.

PCG

FNG
I was thinking the Buffalo Bore .44mag "Lower Recoil" ammo (with the 255gn Keith style hard cast lead projectile). This factory ammo seems to replicate what most Alaskan guides recommend (youtube and forums - I have no first hand info), but its not available in NZ. The Hornady .44 mag 300gn XTP is available, so I'll run with that. Thanks so much for your help. Cheers,

Wrench

WKR
I passed a 240 in and out of this buck at about 80 paces. Nothing too wild. I have never pulled a bullet on mine and I've shot clear into the 360's. My 450ti would pull them every time if it was hot, but the 329 us 10 Oz heavier.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND x frame grips if you want to shoot it much. Mines had a couple of trips back to smith for blast shields....if that tells you how much it's been shot.

They are a great backcountry gun. Just load it to shoot and be happy.067-1_zpsbd5c5edb.jpg

Got one with a guides choice. Carry the G20 9 times out of 10 these days. I wont sell but thats just cause i dont sell useful guns. 240gr hardcast with 21grains...lets you know when she goes off. Nice rig for sure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Cool guns but I’ve always passed on them as they won’t handle the the really heavy 305+ grain bullets I like to carry in my redhawk.

While I have no experience with the 329PD, I do have a lot of experience with the 357PD (41 mag). It will jump crimp with heavy loads. I find for my neck of the woods in GA, I just need it to shoot deer, hogs and 2 legged vermin so a moderate load and a 220gr Keith gets the job done without being uncontrollable or crimp issues. Use a heavy crimp and you’ll be fine. Practice with your carry ammo as well.

While I have no experience with the 329PD, I do have a lot of experience with the 357PD (41 mag). It will jump crimp with heavy loads. I find for my neck of the woods in GA, I just need it to shoot deer, hogs and 2 legged vermin so a moderate load and a 220gr Keith gets the job done without being uncontrollable or crimp issues. Use a heavy crimp and you’ll be fine. Practice with your carry ammo as well.

I have a 329 and Buffalo Bore has a load especially for this gun,255 grain KEITH style hard cast at 1350 fps.