Sabbatical Ideas

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a month long sabbatical from work next year - no emails, no phone calls, completely disconnected for a month. I’d like to go and do something memorable and am looking for ideas of places to go. Some parameters:
- Not a hunting trip
- We have two girls who will be 3 and 5 so needs to be family friendly / doable with kids
- Preferably somewhere where we could spend the entire month there
- Nothing dangerous - we’ll visit Kabul some other time.

Let’s hear your ideas!

Swamp Fox

WKR
I have a month long sabbatical from work next year - no emails, no phone calls, completely disconnected for a month. I’d like to go and do something memorable and am looking for ideas of places to go. Some parameters:
- Not a hunting trip
- We have two girls who will be 3 and 5 so needs to be family friendly / doable with kids

Let’s hear your ideas!
Visit --no-- Inhabit the land of your ancestors.

It will be wasted on the children, but that's your job after you get back.

- Not a hunting trip

Let’s hear your ideas!
Costa Rica. Spend half the time in Puerto Viejo and the other half in Samara. In the former you get immersed into the rain forest and Carribean vibe and the latter you get Pacific coast and Latin Amerincan vibe. Took our girls to PV the first time when they were 4 and 6 for 10 days and rented a car and VRBO on the beach. A couple years later we went back and rented a VRBO up on mountain side in the jungle. They were both amazing vacations, and I've never felt unsafe in that country, even after driving up and down the coasts and interior.

MattB

WKR
Baja would be fun, but would also be a good time to tackle a trip to the other side of the world like Australia or New Zealand so you could max time between bouts of jet-lag.

TXCO

WKR
New Zealand is amazing and would take a month. You can rent a camper van and travel everywhere. Someone said Costa Rica which is a great idea and Belize. Rent a lake house up north in the summer? Would help to know where you live now.

Also how do I get that job perk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Good ideas so far! A few that I’ve thought of before, a few that I haven’t. Keep em coming.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
New Zealand is amazing and would take a month. You can rent a camper van and travel everywhere. Someone said Costa Rica which is a great idea and Belize. Rent a lake house up north in the summer? Would help to know where you live now.

Also how do I get that job perk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We live in the Central Valley of California.

Job perk comes with owning a small business with a group of awesome partners. We rotate sabbaticals every five years.

Marble

WKR
One of the most memorable trips I have made was up the west coast, stopping along the way camping in various areas. I would do that again, but it would swing through Idaho, Montana etc,. Then head south eventually hitting the grand canyon area.

Travel every 3rd or 4th day. Fish, hike, sight see.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
England is a heck of a trip. You get the old world European feel, but you speak mostly the same language as everyone else so it’s a great balance of foreign and not. We were there for a week and a half last year and it was a blast. I have a bunch of family over there so we got into the local stuff right away, but a month would give you plenty of time to do that without knowing someone already. Do all the touristy stuff, but also get out to a local rugby match, go to the fair/festival things in the towns, hang out in the local pubs some (they’re way more than just bars like I initially thought). We’re already planning the trip to get our new daughter over in a few years.

I've only been to 25 countries, but New Zealand has been my favorite to-date. We spent 3 weeks and covered both islands, but a month would be about perfect. Great kid-friendly destination with awesome hikes, nature, history. We rented a camper van which makes it easy to be mobile and have a place to stay in the more rural areas. It wasn't too hard finding sites in the cities also.

It all depends on what kind of travel you like though. Also, New Zealand isn't the cheapest with the long flight over there and island pricing for most goods.

Idaboy

WKR
What month of the year will you be doing this? Do you want to have to organize/plan travel, or stay put in one or two home bases? With young kids, some sort of beach/water option can give them aan outlet that's easy afternoon trip

WCB

WKR
NZ would also be my choice...Although it is the one place I have been to that I said I would go back and not have to hunt or fish (not a big tourist sit around type....and will hike a bunch if it leads to a good pool for fishing) I still wouldn't count out hunting while there for a couple days or some good fishing. No idea how you fill a solid month and have to spend the entire time with everyone together.