Saddle Scabbard for Turret Scopes

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
So I got annoyed at not having a decent scabbard that I could pack my Tikka+SWFA around with. Because of the turrets on the scope, the rifle won't fit in the usual western leather scabbards. I do have a TrailMax Guardian, but it is giant and annoys me when I'm on a horse. So for all of maybe $80, here's what I came up with for this season:

Materials list:
- Tough 1 deluxe leather scabbard
- Copper rivets/washers
- Old strip of molle webbing
- plastic buckle

I bought a "Tough 1 Deluxe" scabbard HERE. They are pretty junk leather (if you can even call it leather), but should be functional for these purposes. If you have more money, I'd recommend buying something made of better leather. Anything that follows the same pattern as these ones will work.

Next I cut the top row of stitching, and punched three holes for rivets.
627OlNP.jpg

Put a rivet in the first hole. In theory this should stop the leather from separating, now that you've cut the stitching. I added an extra washer, just for more surface area.
61YuzXf.jpg

Double-up the end of your molle webbing about an inch, and then heat up a nail with a torch and melt a hole through the center of the doubled material. Then run a rivet through your second hole, and put the webbing on top of that. Add the washer, cut to length, and smash.
oPGt68Q.jpg

mrOr22H.jpg

Now do a similar thing to the flap. Punch a hole, double up some molle, add the female buckle (Don't forget the buckle), and then rivet it to the flap.
OwaxPyC.jpg

Now add a rivet to the third hole you made. Again, to stop the leather from separating due to the stitching you cut.
n4OsGxi.jpg

Okay now you're done. Your turret scope will now slide in, and you'll have a flap that can close up on the whole thing.
ZNTzLMk.jpg

Here's how it looks size-wise next to a TrailMax Guardian
kHit9i8.jpg

For reference
nL75Pxo.jpg

I2pVFqm.jpg

One last comment: The straps included with this scabbard are pretty junky. Might be worth using an old belt or something and upgrade the straps before you attach this to your saddle.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Here it is from the other week, rigged up with my beater Mauser. Tikka to follow.

ts1ESmU.jpg

BKehoe05

FNG
And.. what’s with the duct tape on the stirrups? Is that to eliminate the shine?