SAK pocket knife project

69447C40-93D4-4205-B652-FDEB217B715D.jpegFor my pocket knife project I chose a Victorinox Walker because it is very small and lightweight. It comes with a saw for clearing shooting/glassing lanes and making tent pegs etc (if I lose or ruin a peg… I don’t carry extras). It has a small knife blade that could be pressed into service as a skinner but is specifically there to use for all non-skinning cutting chores to preserve the blade of my skinning knife. The third tool is a combination bottle/can opener and screwdriver. Only thing I’ve used it for was opening a can of stew at the truck. I’d prefer this were a scissor. It also comes with a toothpick and tweezer (both things I consider a necessity). The Walker costs about $23 on Amazon or at your favorite knife store.

Last edited:
OP
Wyobohunter
39BAD0E9-3DC7-47DB-AA59-08C515951F88.jpegTo add the pen I carefully pried off the scale on the toothpick side. I laid a small Victorinox pen on the inside of the scale on the opposite side of the toothpick. I have a tiny file set with very fine teeth. I selected a round file that was about the same diameter as the pen and slid the pen out of the way and scored the celluloid scale to mark the pen location. Next came the fairly time consuming process of filing in the channel for the pen. I had to reattach the scale and remove it several times to get a perfect fit. Once I got a perfect snug fit that didn’t press up on the scale I selected a triangular file that’s about the same width as the plastic part of the pen and fit that into the scale. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the work in progress and can’t remove the scale to show the inner detail because I used a couple of drops of super glue when I put the scale on the last time.

Victorinox pens can be ordered from Walmart. Search “victorinox replacement pen walmart” in google. They are around $7 plus shipping.

OP
Wyobohunter
2874EBF9-DC69-4DD1-8B2D-E89C1DB5FB1E.jpegFor the fire kit I repurposed a small lanyard that came with a Fenix flashlight. I made some waxed jute (easy to do, google knows how) and twisted a bunch together to fit as much as possible into one side of the fob.

I ordered a miniature ferro rod from Vigilant Gear. They are 3/20” diameter and 2” long. They come in a 5 pack for about $6 plus shipping. I stuffed one of these into the other side of the fob and tied them together then sealed it with a lighter.

I used some of the extra waxed jute, one of the spare ferro rods and the spine of the little saw to test it out. If the jute is pulled apart to expose small waxed fibers it takes a spark in only a few tries. It puts out a surprisingly large flame for such a small bit of tinder.

OP
Wyobohunter
I already had a roll of jute twine and some beeswax so the total cost (less shipping) was about $36 and the weight including the fire fob but not the dummy cord and S-biner is 1.9 ounces

I used this for lots of things during last archery and rifle season including cutting small branches out of the way for glassing and making some small wooden trailer brakes for my bicycle trailer out of tree branches. Unfortunately I did not get to use the pen to sign my elk tag… though I loaned it to a couple of fellows that needed to sign a tag and forgot a pen. IIRC these pens are pressurized (like a Fisher Space Pen).

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I've bought a number of Walkers as a first knife for Cub Scouts. It's a great knife for that purpose. Smaller in the hand than most but with a nice medium size blade. Victorinox saws have always been great for notches and clean cuts on small sticks, and there's no bulky corkscrew that a kid (or most people these days) doesn't need. A kid's knife would be better off with a dedicated can opener, but the can/bottle opener is a nice combo for everyone else.

Years ago I bought my own kids the "My First Victorinox" model, which is the same as the Walker but with a rounded-tip "peanut butter" blade. I couldn't find a Walker at the time. As the kids got older, they complained about the rounded blade not being useful. I'm glad the Walkers became available again.

I've still got a couple Walkers stashed in the basement, sometimes I think about carrying one, but I have other SAKs.

I changed the scales for hunter green on a Rambler I really liked, but I forgot it in my pocket and TSA took it. Replaced that one with another Rambler
put white scales on, but I ended up buying a black Executive, and that's become my favorite SAK so far. I see they've discontinued that model; I'd better buy another before they're all gone.

Is that a Victorinox lanyard on yours, or just a zipper pull? I've got cord lanyards on my 111mm Vic's, but I tend to take the split rings off my smaller ones. I suppose the Walker is right in between.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I was typing my post before your last ones showed up. You said that's a fire fob on your lanyard? What's the story with that?

OP
Wyobohunter
It’s a lanyard from a Fenix flashlight with a mini fire kit inside.

My EDC while not hunting is a Victorinox Compact. I really like having a small pen with me all the time.

OP
Wyobohunter
I was typing my post before your last ones showed up. You said that's a fire fob on your lanyard? What's the story with that?
3rd post down. It took several posts because of the pics.

Last edited:

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I should have hit refresh a couple more times. Your posts with photos weren't showing up for me, but they are now.

I like the fire fob you made. I might have to copy that idea for one of my larger SAKs.

I usually don't miss having a pen, but of course sometimes you just need one. I bought a pack of blaze orange Pokka Pens to take with hunting this year, but I didn't end up needing to sign a tag this year either. When I have in past years, I'm usually the guy who forgot to bring a pen.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I like this a lot, I have one of the My First Victorinox knives put aside for my nephew when he is a few years older and its a great little knife.

One idea that could be handy for starting a fire and looks super tidy is the Exotac Tinder Zip:

And if you're like myself and are happy sharpening a stick for a toothpick, these are a great ferro rod