Salmon Region of ID.

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not going into depth of unit specifics, I'm just trying to gather more understanding of stupid idea I've got (and now my wife is worried with me doing it alone, so it's reinsurance to her I have about 99% chance of not dying.) The wilderness area down there is mostly accessed by boat or air craft, or with groups with horses/mules. My question is, what about a single guy by foot? The area I'm looking at, the only access to the wilderness is by a bridge going across the salmon, but looking at the terrain and maps, I'm figuring if I'm lucky, I ain't getting past 5 miles in, if I'm lucky. But is this something you'd do alone? Or am I just being fullish on my idea? I do know this isn't mule deer heaven, and honestly don't expect to get one. Just would love a challenge and at least say I did it. But not trying to do it in such away I regret it or hate the trip or call it quits to early lol.

Hopefully this isn't all rambled.
Are you sure the bridge you’re planning on crossing is intact? If you’re planning on using the one I’m thinking about, it was out last time I was in the area. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want to talk specifics.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Yup, I would assume it is. Considering there's a outfitter and it looks like a ranch that's further down the road and the bridge is the only access minus the river.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I am 99% sure I know where you are talking about and have hunted the area by boat in many different seasons. It's a beautiful area but you will be limited for sure and lots of pressure around that access point. One of my friends successfully hunted it by foot as well. DM if you want.

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, I would assume it is. Considering there's an outfitter and it looks like a ranch that's further down the road and the bridge is the only access minus the river.
Ahh ok you’re talking about the bridge on the road. I assumed you were talking about the foot bridge that has been out for awhile. Wapiti is right in that you’ll be limited by the terrain and the pressure is pretty high there. It’s a neat area though. Definitely some adventure to be had.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I am 99% sure I know where you are talking about and have hunted the area by boat in many different seasons. It's a beautiful area but you will be limited for sure and lots of pressure around that access point. One of my friends successfully hunted it by foot as well. DM if you want.
Did you hunt it out of a jetboat?

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Ahh ok you’re talking about the bridge on the road. I assumed you were talking about the foot bridge that has been out for awhile. Wapiti is right in that you’ll be limited by the terrain and the pressure is pretty high there. It’s a neat area though. Definitely some adventure to be had.
I wasn't really relying on the foot bridges, I'll be more towards the South fork of the river.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Did you hunt it out of a jetboat?
Yes, but per OPs comment I actually think he's talking about a different less known area. OP I say go for it and stop telling people about the spot you found. I think I was able to find your spot very quickly and now might go hunt it myself ;)

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, but per OPs comment I actually think he's talking about a different less known area. OP I say go for it and stop telling people about the spot you found. I think I was able to find your spot very quickly and now might go hunt it myself ;)
LOL. In that country, it takes a real man to truck up, and in there. Who cares if its easily findable!

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
You'll be fine. That terrain is some of the hardest around but if you can walk in you can walk out right? :p

I wouldn't be ashamed to shoot one right next to the river up that way.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't you just drive down this summer and get the view and idea what it really looks like and take a small hike in?
Everything looks easy on a flat map/computer. There is steep and then there is central Idaho steep!