Salomon Quest 4 D GTX for Elk?

FatBuddah

WKR
I really like this boot.... however..... had a pair from last year that I took back in December 18’ because the toe cap was coming off. Exchanged for a new pair. Wore these around to begin break in process. Wore them spring bear and scouting this season w/o issue and were breaking in nicely. Had a 14 day mid Sept pack in planned at Oregon/Idaho border. Packed in Monday the 9th mid day. Come dark thirty the rains came and knew I was in for a potential rain gear morning with the gaiters..... no big deal. Well it was. First hour I was soaked from ankle to toe in both feet. I was in saturated boots and wet socks the next three days.
Still love the boot..... hoping this pair was a lemon set.
May make the move to Idaho’s??

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
There are hundreds of posts on these and the leaking issues. The good news is Salomon warranties them for two years , and Gore Tex will beyond that. I have heard of folks noting they leaked out of the box, others didnt leak until several years old, some never leak...

Chase_D

FNG
I've got a pair, did not take them elk hunting since one, they are heavy and two, for me they felt like they lacked high ankle support. Instead, I took a pair of Salomon Outback 500 GTX. They held up extremely well in the mountains of Idaho.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
They feel great to me and can hike in them for days it seems. However, they do have a slight leak after two seasons. I’ll wear them for early season and kennetreks for late season.

ChrisS

WKR
There are hundreds of posts on these and the leaking issues. The good news is Salomon warranties them for two years , and Gore Tex will beyond that. I have heard of folks noting they leaked out of the box, others didnt leak until several years old, some never leak...
Yeah, great fit on these boots out of the box for me. I've used them a lot in the last 18 months. They made it through two hunting seasons in Adirondacks going through bogs and all day in snow. I walked through a creek with them in August. And in WY in September, they wetted out after walking through wet grass one morning.

I'll be claiming the warranty.

wildcat33

WKR
Besides issues with goretex (never had that particular problem with mine) the sole design is poor for steep terrain, snow, and/or loose scree type terrain. Mainly because of the lack of a proper heel brake.

HDwild

WKR
Excellent boots. I was issued 2 pairs while on Active Duty and used 1 for deployments and training (rucking, running around, getting dirty, etc.) and used the other pair for hunting. I'm going on my 5th year of using them and they are still in great shape. They do leak though, I haven't tried treating them with water repellent but I'm sure that would help.

TLDR: I'd trust these boots in any condition but expect to get your feet wet every now and then

Kronos

FNG
I put almost 1000 miles hiking on my first pair. They are great boots IF they fit your feet. If they leak talk to Salomon or Gore and get them replaced.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to make these boots work for me. Ultimately they didn't. Build quality is just not what it needs to be for a hardcore boot that I need. I sent several pairs back for replacement and they just kept failing. I found myself tip-toeing around because I had no confidence in how the boot was going to handle certain situations. In my experience they just arent made for the way I hunt. If you're spending a lot of time on trails than get them. Otherwise, 3 pairs of failed quest 4ds later and I checked them off the list. As for support, that's subjective. For me they offered about as much support as a shoe, i could feel everything I stepped on making my feet and ankles fatigued at the end of the day. They are obviously not built for hunting so I'm not faulting the boot but i will probably never buy a pair of Salomon boots again.

Vernon

FNG
Great boot. That is my go to for warm weather hunting. Light, fits like a tennis shoes, but enough support to get the job done.

Amazing boot for early archery season. I intend to keep mine for quite some time. Especially in places like Arizona and Montana that don't get to much rain in September. I would definitely look for something else once snow starts sticking and things get wet. I am currently looking at lowa Tibet gtx and crispi Briksdal for rifle season boots

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk