Satellite view differences of Basemap, GAIA, Google and OnX

JPD350

WKR
I kept reading that Basemap and GAIA had superior satellite views over OnX so I pulled up OnX, Basemap, GAIA and Google Earth at the same time to see the differences in the Satellite views and to my surprise OnX had a much better view and I checked 5 of my favorite locations to make sure it wasn't better in just one location.

Am I missing something?

Does Basemap and GAIA have better satellite maps past the sample maps?

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
You can import Google Earth into Gaia, that is my preferred satellite view of all of them. It takes a little work, but it is relatively easy. With the competition in the last year, all of the mapping apps seem to have stepped up their game. Gaia is my preferred app, but OnX has improved a lot over the last year, I think the competition has forced them to up their game, whereas in the past they didn't seem to feel any need to improve because they were arguable the only game in town.

BaseMap

I kept reading that Basemap and GAIA had superior satellite views over OnX so I pulled up OnX, Basemap, GAIA and Google Earth at the same time to see the differences in the Satellite views and to my surprise OnX had a much better view and I checked 5 of my favorite locations to make sure it wasn't better in just one location.

Am I missing something?

Does Basemap and GAIA have better satellite maps past the sample maps?
Great question. Our high resolution satellite imagery is actually from Google. If you have an iOS device, we also use Apple maps imagery which is also extremely high resolution. Our high res imagery is part of our Pro Membership.

Hope that helps!

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Thanks for the reply! I don't have an I-phone

I did go through a lot more locations and BaseMap did end up being better overall quality in the lower 48, OnX was a close 2nd and GAIA was a distant 3rd. The Alaska locations for BaseMap and Google Earth severely lacked the quality that OnX and GAIA had by a bunch, so much that you couldn't distinguish anything. I only checked the Alaska areas that I have been and or are going to be in and to be fair the maps in Alaska are all over the place when it comes to quality.

Alaska is kind of a sticking point for me going with Basemap, if Google Earth doesn't update then neither will BaseMap?

akrdkill

WKR
I tried BaseMap a few times but lack of Alaska map imagery up here was the deal kicker

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
If there is one place that satellite imagery can make a difference it is Alaska!