Savage Axis build?

Pdzoller

WKR
First of all, I know there are better platforms that I could use. That being said, I’m looking at this little Savage Axis in my closet. I bought the thing for $100 a few years back. I shot it a few times and was surprised at the five shot groups coming in just over an inch at 100 yards. I put it away and haven’t picked it up since though. We own several rifles that shoot better, weigh less or just feel better in hand.

I have been kicking around the idea of using the action for a first timer build. I like the idea of using the cheap little thing as a practice build if you will. I am thinking a lighter chassis with folding stock and putting a fat prefit 16” carbon barrel (barrel size and make are more for personal aesthetics). After some reading it seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult for me to do this at home.

Any advice, suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Snailz

FNG
First of all, I know there are better platforms that I could use. That being said, I’m looking at this little Savage Axis in my closet. I bought the thing for $100 a few years back. I shot it a few times and was surprised at the five shot groups coming in just over an inch at 100 yards. I put it away and haven’t picked it up since though. We own several rifles that shoot better, weigh less or just feel better in hand.

I have been kicking around the idea of using the action for a first timer build. I like the idea of using the cheap little thing as a practice build if you will. I am thinking a lighter chassis with folding stock and putting a fat prefit 16” carbon barrel (barrel size and make are more for personal aesthetics). After some reading it seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult for me to do this at home.

Any advice, suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I’ve just been going down this road myself. Any small shank prefit will work and it’s DIY if you have the go no-go gauges and the tools. That said, a gunsmith should charge you at most their hourly rate to do a swap since it should take them like 15 mins. That’s cheaper than buying the tools and gauges yourself. Main considerations are bolt face and action length. Axis has one action length, but chassis for axis are only SA as far as I’m aware. If you want a LA you’ll need a Boyd’s or to keep your stock.

My plan is to rebarrel my 308 to a 26” 1-8 twist criterion in 284 win. Same bolt face and axis SA mag will fit and feed 2.95 COL bullets. If you’re going for a short practice rifle, I’d suggest either a common caliber with cheap target ammo, or if you want to handload, one of the short 6mm comp cartridges (6 BR, GT, Dasher, ARC). Low recoil, more shots per pound, and a reputation for easy accuracy with minimal load development, particularly with 6 BR.

Good luck and let me know how it goes if you decide to go for it.

Snailz

FNG
Any updates on either of your progress?
The barrel my 308 came with still has a lot of life left and is capable of pretty good accuracy. I’ve decided to keep shooting through it for a while before getting a new barrel. Learn and develop my skills on a much less forgiving cartridge before moving over to 6BR. I wanted to go 284 Win because it could serve double duty for hunting, but I realized the guys running 284 are doing so on 20 pound rifles and it would be better to go 6BR for a light recoiling target rifle that I could use for deer. If I get a chance to go for elk, I’ll probably go for a 35 whelan.