Savage lightweight hunter stock swap...

Tod osier

WKR
I have a savage lightweight hunter (model 16 - .308 Win) that I had shortened for my son, but now the rifle needs a full length stock. I currently have a second plastic savage lightweight hunter stock I got off ebay when I did the original cutting, so the plan was to put that on.

I'm not looking for any custom options, but If I'm going to swap stocks, are any of the current savage take off stocks a performance upgrade without being too much of a weight downgrade? I haven't followed Savage much, but I see there are a bunch of the new modular stocks.

When I do the swap, I'll get the rifle chopped and threaded.

CRJR45

WKR
Not sure what you're asking , but I think there are Savage stocks with aluminum in them , and then there are all plastic stocks . The ones with the aluminum are more rigid and can be bedded .

Savage AccuFit Accustock - Right Hand

Stock Details and Cost:
Cost: $100.00
  • Savage Accufit Accustock
  • Right hand
  • Short action
  • Flat dark earth (FDE)
  • Full aluminum bedding block
  • Adjustable comb height and length of pull accepts detachable box mag
  • Top bolt release
  • Comes with action screws, Accustock recoil lug, & stock adjustable hardware
  • 4.41" action screw spacing
  • Will accept Varmint or smaller barrel
Stock Details and Cost:
Cost: $100.00
  • Savage Accufit Accustock

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Not sure what you're asking , but I think there are Savage stocks with aluminum in them , and then there are all plastic stocks . The ones with the aluminum are more rigid and can be bedded .

I'm asking are any of the current production savage stocks that will fit the LWH that I could get cheap as take-offs be a performance upgrade without being too much of a weight downgrade or am I not going to be able to better the LWH stock I have.

Wapiti1

WKR
There are two aluminum bedded Savage factory options: accustock and accufit accustock. The accustock is a classic style with no adjustable LOP or comb. It weighs about half a pound more than the standard all plastic stock. The accufit weighs about 3/4 pound more.

Both are WAY better than the tupperware stock. I would go accufit for the versatility. It is a pretty well done stock. Figure it adds a pound to be safe. You get a stiff forearm, adjustable LOP and comb.

You will want a bottom bolt release with DBM style. They made a top bolt release in the above as well which are not drop in for your rifle. It's easy to mod for bottom bolt release, though.

Jeremy

CRJR45

WKR
I'm asking are any of the current production savage stocks that will fit the LWH that I could get cheap as take-offs be a performance upgrade without being too much of a weight downgrade or am I not going to be able to better the LWH stock I have.
Well then I answered your question and you're welcome , JEEZ ?

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
There are two aluminum bedded Savage factory options: accustock and accufit accustock. The accustock is a classic style with no adjustable LOP or comb. It weighs about half a pound more than the standard all plastic stock. The accufit weighs about 3/4 pound more.

Both are WAY better than the tupperware stock. I would go accufit for the versatility. It is a pretty well done stock. Figure it adds a pound to be safe. You get a stiff forearm, adjustable LOP and comb.

You will want a bottom bolt release with DBM style. They made a top bolt release in the above as well which are not drop in for your rifle. It's easy to mod for bottom bolt release, though.

Jeremy

Awesome information, thanks I appreciate it, especially the weight information. When I bought the LWH, the absolute priority was a light and small rifle, since he was light and small at the time, neither is the case now and his mother will probably use it too. I'll start a search for a accufit accustock short action, bottom bolt release with the DBM.

Unckebob

WKR
Awesome information, thanks I appreciate it, especially the weight information. When I bought the LWH, the absolute priority was a light and small rifle, since he was light and small at the time, neither is the case now and his mother will probably use it too. I'll start a search for a accufit accustock short action, bottom bolt release with the DBM.

I have a rifle with the Accufit Accustock. IMO, it is worth the weight penalty vs the plastic Axis style stock.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Good thread I’m in the same boat, 6.5 LWH, that stock that comes with is garbage… was thinking about an xlr chassis, and a new barrel but for that price I could get a whole new rifle that doesn’t need extra tlc, my LWH is a shooter though

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Magpul Hunter stock is an option. But it will definitely add weight. Also will convert to AICS mags.

Magpul Hunter Savage Stock

If you look at the reviews, there is a picture of a LWH in the Magpul stock.

I have a .308 LWH too. I like the rifle but the stock and mag system aren't great. I'm waiting for one of these Magpul stocks to pop up for cheap, then I'll give it a try.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider

Jeremy
As far as I know the accufit on my savage 110 ultralight IS NOT BEDDED at all. The accustock is bedded but accufit is not.

I have a savage lightweight hunter (model 16 - .308 Win) that I had shortened for my son, but now the rifle needs a full length stock. I currently have a second plastic savage lightweight hunter stock I got off ebay when I did the original cutting, so the plan was to put that on.

I'm not looking for any custom options, but If I'm going to swap stocks, are any of the current savage take off stocks a performance upgrade without being too much of a weight downgrade? I haven't followed Savage much, but I see there are a bunch of the new modular stocks.

When I do the swap, I'll get the rifle chopped and threaded.
What did you end up doing?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Been really thinking of taking my 16 LWH in 6.5 cm to 6 cm… kind of hanging up on the stock portion of it though… xlr would be great but with the stock, barrel… I’d be sitting around the price of a brand new CA Mesa fft in 6mm

Unckebob

WKR

Jeremy

This ^^^[