Savage long range

Gonna say in my opinion no. When I think hammer I think of something that has a noticeable effect when it impacts an animal

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to competently shoot an elk at that range, you're going to need to practice alot. And, practice at ranges further than 1000.

My personal rule of thumb rule is I'm comfortable harvesting an animal at about half the distance I regularly shoot. For me, that's 500 to 600 yards as I regularly shoot out to 1000 to 1200 yards. Major caveats though based on conditions. If wind is switchy or conditions seem less certain, I decrease the yardage I'm willing take a shot on an animal.

Additionally, you have to know your weapon and it's capabilities.

The yardage limit I would impose on myself with my .308 is different than I would impose on myself with my .300 RUM. Some of that is because the 300 RUM has more power. The other factor is the 300 RUM will be better in the wind.

WKR
After reading this, I started looking at the .277 ABLR numbers. What companies make a custom, extra long Savage prefit barrel chambered in 27 Nosler? This could be my dream build.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this, I started looking at the .277 ABLR numbers. What companies make a custom, extra long Savage prefit barrel chambered in 27 Nosler? This could be my dream build.

There are more quality bullet options for .27 caliber than their used to be, but they still pale in comparison to the multitude of bullet options for .30, 7mm, and 6.5mm.

So, why a .27 cal vs. one of the others?. ABLR's are notoriously hard to find in 30 cal. I wouldn't recommend a build planned around 1 bullet.

WKR
There are more quality bullet options for .27 caliber than their used to be, but they still pale in comparison to the multitude of bullet options for .30, 7mm, and 6.5mm.

So, why a .27 cal vs. one of the others?. ABLR's are notoriously hard to find in 30 cal. I wouldn't recommend a build planned around 1 bullet.
With the advent of the .277 Fury think the .27 cal is going to have a lot more bullet options 10 years from now when I might have funds for a long range elk rifle.

OP
Idaho Brad
Probably going to switch to my .260 and muzzle dump a few critters >1000 yards with these!
IMG_1059.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwiftShot

WKR
This is one scary question. I am thinking you are referring to the 270 Winchester. That 270 has crap energy for elk at 500 much less twice that. I think the velocity at 1000 yards would be around 900 feet per sec. Do not even know if a good hunting bullet will open at that speed. Plus you start dealing with decreased twist rate as well, unstable bullets. It is going to be bad. The newer ones bigger heavier bulltes rolling at serious speed well. Those might carry enough. 27 Nosler is a different animal, but 1000 yards is a long poke.

WCB

WKR
A .223 shooting 77gr TMK’s hammer so why can’t a .270 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok define your definition of "Hammer" so I can answer your initial question better. Because if you mean hammer as in kill sure a .270 CAN kill an elk at 1,000yds

WKR
Ok define your definition of "Hammer" so I can answer your initial question better. Because if you mean hammer as in kill sure a .270 CAN kill an elk at 1,000yds
Not the OP, but how is this:

elk ham·mer
/elk ˈhamər/

noun
1. a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets are propelled by explosive force that is capable of reliably hitting the vitals of wapiti with a bullet that will impact with the potential to transfer a minimum of 2,000ft-lbs of energy or with a bullet designed for use on CXP3-class game with the potential to transfer a minimum of 1,200 ft-lbs of energy and at a velocity 200fps over the bullet manufacturer's recommended minimum.

Not the OP, but how is this:

elk ham·mer
/elk ˈhamər/

noun
1. a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets are propelled by explosive force that is capable of reliably hitting the vitals of wapiti with a bullet that will impact with the potential to transfer a minimum of 2,000ft-lbs of energy or with a bullet designed for use on CXP3-class game with the potential to transfer a minimum of 1,200 ft-lbs of energy and at a velocity 200fps over the bullet manufacturer's recommended minimum.
In that case, it’s not a 270

Unckebob

WKR
This is one scary question. I am thinking you are referring to the 270 Winchester. That 270 has crap energy for elk at 500 much less twice that. I think the velocity at 1000 yards would be around 900 feet per sec. Do not even know if a good hunting bullet will open at that speed. Plus you start dealing with decreased twist rate as well, unstable bullets. It is going to be bad. The newer ones bigger heavier bulltes rolling at serious speed well. Those might carry enough. 27 Nosler is a different animal, but 1000 yards is a long poke.

Anyone trying to take game at that distance would need to be an elite rifleman regardless of the cartridge. While a good scope and ballistic calculator can compensate for bullet drop, the shooter would need to be an expert to get their wind call correct for a cold bore first round killing hit at that distance.

Mpw20

FNG
I agree with the above. I’ve shot long range out to 1000. The guys I shoot with are good shooters with thousands of rounds fired over the years. We start most shooting sessions with a cold bore shot at known distance between 600-800 yds. It’s humbling.