Savage R93 17

I’ve had one for 7 or 8 years now it’s a decent little rifle. Mine rides in the truck pretty much year round and it looks like it has. Everything still functions well safety, bolt, trigger etc. the trigger is ok but not great it’s fine for shooting gophers and such but I wouldn’t call it great. The feeding and magazine leave a lot to be desired. Besides it only being 5 rounds it wiggles enough in the mag well that it feeds real rough sometimes. The real place it shines is it’s a very accurate rifle. I haven’t shot a group with it in a long time but it kills everything it’s been pointed at out to 200 yards or so.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lefty version with bull barrel. it's nicely accurate. i'm a fan of the savage accutrigger. others are not. it's not the smoothest feeding rimfire out there but i wasn't expecting CZ performance out of a savage. it's fun to shoot but i moved back to 22LR once covid ruined the price of 17HMR ammo. i'm not whacking ground squirrels, just dinging steel and poking holes in paper. .22LR works fine for me and my tikka T1X holds ten rounds which is better than five...

Bought the thumbhole stock model when they first came out. It didnt really like to shoot anything but the cci tnt hollow points.

While it was capable of putting the smack down on squirrels. It was nowhere near as accurate as other Savages and marlins that I have been around.

Seemed to be around the 300-400 round mark (guessing here) that the mags would start to spread apart and squirt ammo everywhere. Pretty neat trick!

Then I found a cz455 17hmr that didnt have a heavy barrel. I sure like that rifle! Been years since I even laid eyes on that savage

Agross

WKR
I have the wood stock with the heavy barrel and I absolutely love it. Thing is a tack driver. Use it for squirrels, coons, wood chucks and whatever. My son loves it too. Great gun , and I think I paid $250 when it was on sale. Steal at that price.

I had one and didn’t love it. It was cheap and a fun gun to shoot, but mine didnt feed well. I was always messing with the mag to get it to feed.

Have since picked up a Ruger Precision in 17hmr and have been much happier. It cost 2x the savage tho.

I really don't get the appeal of 17 HMR, but I've not heard anything bad about these savages.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I have the pepper laminated gray stainless bull (BVSS 93R17). It shoots really well with Federal 17gr TNT and Hornady 20 gr XTP. I agree with other in that the magazines are finicky in feeding if they're loose. Triggers are decent and usable but not excellent. I've since purchased a Tikka T1x in 17 HMR and wished I'd gone that route originally. It's better all the way around if willing to spend a bit more.

JGross1

FNG
I have one with the wood stock and heavy barrel as well. Most accurate gun in my safe hands down. I shoot the CCI A17s through it.

I’ve had one for a long time. Stainless laminate bull barrel. It shoots very well. Killed a boat load of ground hogs and crows with it. Even took out a few coyotes

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
I have one. Use it primarily at the range while my .223s cool down. Sub-MOA groups, at least for me and this particular gun, at 100 yards are a challenge. Seems to like CCi TNT the best. Sometimes I wonder if I would do better with a little more scope. Currently a 2-7X Vortex. It`s fun to shoot, but I wouldn`t be comfortable shooting at something alive at over about 125 yards with its current configuration.

I really don't get the appeal of 17 HMR, but I've not heard anything bad about these savages.
I originally bought mine for my son to shoot when he was six. Best thing I ever did. We shoot rockchucks and other varmints with it it. Its also much quieter suppressed than a 223.

B23

WKR
I have the laminated thumbhole stock SS HB Sav. 93/17HMR that I've shot lots of sage rats with and it's never failed me. I got rid of the 2pc Weaver mount they come with and put a pic rail from DIP Inc on mine and also got one of their bottom metal pieces to replace the flimsy sheet metal piece Savage puts on them from the factory. With that thin POS bottom metal piece they come with it's nearly impossible to get any kind of consistent torque on the action screws because it just bends when you tighten them. The replacement piece from DIP Inc is much thicker and doesn't bend so you can actually tighten the action screws without the bottom metal flexing and they stay consistent and tight. Took the trigger apart and smoothed up the contact surfaces on the sear which lightened it as well as took all of the creep out of it.

They generally shoot pretty good and they respond well to basic mods. Short of the bench rest/target grade 22lr ammo, all, other rimfire ammo doesn't have the greatest level of consistency. I've spent way more time chronographing, measuring, and disassembling ammo to weigh the components separately than I'll ever admit and no matter the cartridge or the manufacturer it all has crazy wild velocity swings. I've had as much as 200 fps difference in velocity within the same box of ammo and measured base to ogive on 17HMR and 17WSM that varied as much as 30 thou. Point being, you can go from one box of a certain Lot # that shoots amazing in your gun to another box of ammo from a different Lot # that may have a POI an inch or two different than the previous. Whenever I change to a box of ammo with a different Lot# I'll do a quick POI test to make sure the different Lot# is shooting in the same place.

The 17HMR's are the preferred choice for shooting the different ground squirrels like the Belding's or Richardson's that we have out here in the western states.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the bull barrel version with black sporter stock since I was 17, so nearly 15 years. I put a junky sling on it, a trashy used Tasco 3-9x32 that might be older than me, and a walmart harris-like bipod and left it like that. I would venture to say I have killed hundreds of squirrels and rabbits, many raccoons, possums, and even one song dog with that rifle. I have only ever fed it Hornady 17gr Vmax. Thing is heavy for a squirrel rifle, but dead nuts accurate and a bolt of lightning out to 200 yards. You have to make head shots on squirrels and rabbits, bc it will blow the head clean off. Anything else, and you will be scraping carcass fragments off the ground. I love that rifle