Sawyer mini and cleaning Sawyer filters

Been using the Sawyer Squeeze for about a year, and very happy with it. When they came out with the mini, I picked one up. I was concerned about the flow, but flow is actually great. I get about 1 liter a minute using gravity only. If I squeeze the bag a little bit, it's probably a third faster. What I like about it is the form factor. Compact with small diameter. Easier to keep in a pocket in freezing weather if necessary.

Like other folks, I use a CNOC for my dirty bag and whatever fits well in my pack as the clean reservoir. Originally I used the Katadyn Quickfill QD connection kit in my hose to swap between the bite valve and the fill bladder. Those are not available on Amazon anymore, so I use now use the Sawyer SP115 Fast Fill Adapter. This is actually a better kit, because it includes two male and one female connector (like the Katadyn) but also adds the screw on adapter for the Sawyer filter. Works great and my clean water bladder never has to leave my pack to fill it. I run an EXO 4800. The water compartment is completely separate from the cargo area and waterproof. I keep a spare CNOC or EVERNEW bladder flattened inside that compartment as well. With the quick connect system you can rig any bladder with a standard soda threaded cap to the bite valve, so you have a ready replacement for either the clean or dirty water bladder in one spare bag.

CLEANING THE SAWYER
Sawyer has an excellent video on how to clean their filters. They go so far as to include how to soak a completely clogged filter in hot water, and then if necessary vinegar, to restore flow. They didn't need to do this and could sell more product if they didn't. I have a Sawyer Squeeze that I left dirty water in and let it dry (neglect, not on purpose). Using their backflow syringe I was able to restore about 2/3 of the original flow. I'm going to try the hot water soak tonight and see how that goes, and then go with the vinegar soak if necessary. They basically say you should be able to restore flow for almost any clogged filter following these steps. IT REALLY WORKS. Don't throw away good filters (send them to me instead). :giggle: (y)

VIDEO -
PDF - https://sawyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/sawyer_bucket-cleaning_2016-01-15e.pdf

sawyer_bucket-cleaning_2016-01-15e.jpg

NC_Hunter

FNG
Great info. I am a HUGE fan of the mini. Using a smart water "flip top" cap to back flush my mini has been a game changer and has allowed me to leave that cleaning plunger at home. I already use the smart water bottles and thread the mini right onto the bottle to filter my water.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Been using this system for a couple years of hunting and on a couple long distance hikes. I can't figure out why anyone would want to rely on something battery operated or more complex with more moving parts.
I carry the coupling for back flushing like the diagram. It's a good idea to pick up a garden hose rubber washer as a replacement for when the white one falls out of the Sawyer.

OP
Mike Islander
Been using this system for a couple years of hunting and on a couple long distance hikes. I can't figure out why anyone would want to rely on something battery operated or more complex with more moving parts.
I carry the coupling for back flushing like the diagram. It's a good idea to pick up a garden hose rubber washer as a replacement for when the white one falls out of the Sawyer.

Totally agree. Pump system? Obsolete based on my experience. Flip the washer upside down to get it to fit tighter. I also run the insert that connects to a tube, so the washer can't fall out except between the time that I unscrew the insert and attach to a water bottle.

LionHead

WKR
Completely agree Sawyer squeeze is robust and user friendly.

I use the inline adapter Fitting then placed short pieces of tubing to attach QD fittings that match to source bladders.

I use the ILPS 3L as a dirty bag and WLPS 3L bladders as clean bags in all my packs

The bags are heavy but durable so i can use my modifed "Sawyer sit" filter to speed up filter rates by sitting on the bladder.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
Mike Islander
Speeding up capability is cool, but really not necessary. I'm getting a liter a minute on both the squeeze and mini with just a foot of elevation between bottom of bag and filter inlet.

But still, nice to have such a bulletproof bag. I run an EXO 4800, so I have a separate protected waterproof pouch with its own zipper for the bladder. I do carry an extra EVERNEW 2L bladder in there as well as a backup. It's 1.5 oz and well worth the peace of mind vs the weight. Sometimes I also carry a 32 oz Nalgene, which adds another 3.75 oz but is so damn nice for so many uses.

Bking

FNG
Has anyone had issues with the filter being damaged due to freezing? The REI website specifically mentions damage to the filter particles from freezing. Obviously if it is in water and freezes it could be damaged, but if it's "mostly dry" would it be damaged?

OP
Mike Islander
Has anyone had issues with the filter being damaged due to freezing? The REI website specifically mentions damage to the filter particles from freezing. Obviously if it is in water and freezes it could be damaged, but if it's "mostly dry" would it be damaged?

The water in the tubes inside will swell and burst if the filter freezes hard. I never have had one freeze, but I keep it in my pocket in freezing weather, and in my bag at night. It's small enough that it doesn't bother me a bit.

Poser

WKR
I must admit, it hadn’t occurred to me to try soaking it. Living in the San Juans, almost all of the water i filter is from clear, mountain streams. With a back flush here and there, I’ve found I get 2 years of use out of them. I assume it’s the mineral content, particularly the lime, is what eventually gums them up to where the flow is poor. I notice the mineral build up in the bottom of my tea pot at home which I never wash -it’s fairly significant. I do have a few used sawyers laying around so I might try the hot water soak to see if that alleviates the clogging.