Sawyer squeeze low flow problems

TheCougar

WKR
I went on a backpacking trip this week to test out some gear. I had issues with my Sawyer Squeeze having little to no flow. I used the squeeze last year and filtered maybe 5 gallons with it. After season, I back-flushed it multiple times before putting it away. When it came time to use it this year, it didn’t work at all until I forcefully backflushed multiple times, which restored just enough flow to keep us going. My buddy had a Sawyer mini as well and had nearly identical issues. Is this normal? Any ideas on restoring flow or what I may be doing wrong?

marktole

WKR
That’s normal. Have had two of them do it. The remedy I used was to get another brand of filters.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sawyers are only good for a few trips. Toss it and get a new one or get a different style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had pretty good luck w mine.
But I shake it out pretty vigorously and do not store it in a ziploc.
My brother had a similar problem one year.
I think it was most likely storing it wet in a bag and it grew mold or something.

twall13

WKR
Back flush with vinegar and soak for about half an hour. Then back flush with hot water. Made mine go from zero to good as new.
Minerals build up and block flow as water dries inside the filter if it hasn't been used in awhile. Hot water and vinegar as mentioned here has always worked to free things up for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree with Brock, I look at the sawyer filters as a one season filter, and think they are priced accordingly. I would think that build up or whatever caused the slow flow that isn’t fixed by back flowing probably isn’t good/likely damaged the filter itself, and there is no way to really know. Buying another or different filter for me would be worth the peace of mind.

They are a one season filter if you are only backflushing. Try the Sawyer bucket cleaning procedure and restore 90+% of your flow in many cases. My Sawyer will start its third season this year. I'm sure there is some water that will plug these filters permanently, but I'm also sure that this cleaning procedure will restore a lot of "dead" filters.

Last edited:

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I do the bucket cleaning procedure linked above and also buy two filters during black Friday sales for about $17 each and swap one per year right before deer season.

marktole

WKR
I’ve used the squeeze and mini but no other brands. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a katadyn hiker pro, which is a pump filter, that I got after the Sawyer. It weighs a pound, so heavier than the 3oz sawyer or whatever it is. More bulky too, but I like using it better than a sawyer because the pump doesn’t require me to squeeze on a bag as hard as I can for 5 minutes to get a liter of water once it’s clogged.

I have only used it for one season so I can’t attest to its long term performance.

I also have a steripen, which is what I use if I can just fill up my nalgene out of a running water source. That’s my favorite. No squeezing or pumping, just swirl the pen in the water for 90 seconds or whatever the time length is and I’m done.

Have never used tabs, although I keep some with me. Other may be able to chime in with experience there.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I’ll try the vinegar and hot water. May try the katadyn befree rather than the Sawyer again, if the cleaning procedure doesn’t work.

I have a katadyn hiker pro, which is a pump filter, that I got after the Sawyer. It weighs a pound, so heavier than the 3oz sawyer or whatever it is. More bulky too, but I like using it better than a sawyer because the pump doesn’t require me to squeeze on a bag as hard as I can for 5 minutes to get a liter of water once it’s clogged.

I’m mainly looking for input on other brands of inline filters. I’ve got a hiker pro that has been in the gear collection since 2007 but now that I’ve gone inline the last 3-4 years I haven’t used it since. We always filter pretty damn clean water so I haven’t had clogging issues, but I’m always open to upgrades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bonehammer

Lil-Rokslider
2nd the vinegar and hot water. I do this process after and before each trip so I have confidence it will work properly. I also back flush while in the field. Going on year three with mine

twall13

WKR
I’ll try the vinegar and hot water. May try the katadyn befree rather than the Sawyer again, if the cleaning procedure doesn’t work.
If you notice on the "bucket cleaning procedure" pdf posted above, hot water and vinegar are what Sawyer recommends and it's worked well for me in the past so hopefully it works for you as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I’m mainly looking for input on other brands of inline filters. I’ve got a hiker pro that has been in the gear collection since 2007 but now that I’ve gone inline the last 3-4 years I haven’t used it since. We always filter pretty damn clean water so I haven’t had clogging issues, but I’m always open to upgrades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, my bad. I don’t use a bladder or anything where I would need an inline filter so I do not have any other suggestions for you.

Drenalin

WKR
Supposedly the Sawyer Micro has solved some of the flow issues (better flow initially anyway), but I imagine they'll drop off over time.

Guys, remember you can carry 3 Sawyer Minis and still be at half the weight of a pump filter. The fresh Sawyers gravity drain a liter of water in less than a minute.

X2
My buddy had one of the gravity filters a few weeks ago. Didn't weigh anything and filters fast hands free. I didn't even use my Sawyer mini once on the trip.