SC bear hunters?

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Any folks hunting in SC this year?

Am pretty jacked this year. I'm looking at the Hickory nuts about to drop and hoping those suckers stay hanging 11 more days. There is nothing like hearing a big old nasty chomping down on those tasty treats, it sounds like someone breaking 2 x 4's w their bare hands, music to my ears. I can't remember the last time they were so heavy this close to season. whoooo.

JFord

FNG
Anyone know anything about Lewis Ocean Bay? I've been planning on driving to Jocassee, but I've heard a lot of good things about the "coastal bears" and am wondering if this would be a good place to try out?

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen three so far, one of which was a shooter imo.

I watched a two year old for about half an hour yesterday on a hardwood ridge I was hunting. What a pretty little bear, perfect coat and a unique face. I’m fairly confident he and another one I saw the day before were forced out by momma this spring.

A single day left to punch my tag.

How has everyone’s season gone?

willtim

WKR
I just got back from five days in the mountains. No bears but a lot of sign. The white oaks are not dropping acorns this year so the bears were feeding on black gum. My son had a nice boar wind him 10 yards away but couldn't get a shot. Good Luck!

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Well this season is a wrap. Six days of crawling through rhododendron/mountain laurel climbing over dead falls in the mountains have whooped me. Nothing down but all in all it was a solid run.

I have to say hunting bear in the blue ridge mnts is one of my favorites, it’s such a singular style; having to find out what they are eating each year on the hoof, then figuring out their paths to food and add the wind changing directions on a whim, it’s a serous challenge. Whooo I love it!

WMag338

WKR
Been hunting them for several years in upstate SC. Not having near the luck you are with sightings. Been concentrating more in Greenville county.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Been hunting them for several years in upstate SC. Not having near the luck you are with sightings. Been concentrating more in Greenville county.
Pickens county is where I have hunted for the past 15 years. I’m fortunate to have the mnts in my backyard.

I used to see bear in that Unit east of glassy, the small one. In fact I’ve saw a massive joker in there about 25 years ago, 500lbs or so I would guess, a true monster. I was closing the distance, hunted w a pistol until this year, the wind shifted and it disappeared into the Mountain laurel. Ugh

If you want to chit chat some time pm me, I’ll help you as much as I’m able.

I live in SC, but I hunt in WV. I own some property up there as do a couple of friends of mine. All together we have just over 720 acres. While we cannot hunt bears on our property (we have feeders up for deer), one of the properties borders a WMA and I have permission to hunt another 50 acre adjacent property to mine that doesn't have any feeders on it.

I was fortunate enough to arrow a 320 pounder yesterday on the WMA. He was just passing through, but stopped to suck up a few persimmons that were falling 25 yards from the tree I was in. Was hoping for a big buck, but a big bear is just as good!

Man bear hunting without dogs in the south is tough. Im just across the state line in NC, i wish the season lined up better with our first deer season. I see most of the bears during our first archery season and cant shot a bear then. Id love it if they added a bear season that you couldnt run dogs during early season.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Man bear hunting without dogs in the south is tough. Im just across the state line in NC, i wish the season lined up better with our first deer season. I see most of the bears during our first archery season and cant shot a bear then. Id love it if they added a bear season that you couldnt run dogs during early season.
It’s certainly a low probability hunt, for many reasons, to me that’s the fun of it.

The whole dog thing is a touchy subject in certain circles, some say running dogs cheapens the take. It’s a long discussion fo-sho.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
This is the mess they are often in. I have a couple great videos of this 2 year old I watched, I haven’t taken the time to figure how to upload them. But this picture illustrates the challenge.

It’s certainly a low probability hunt, for many reasons, to me that’s the fun of it.

The whole dog thing is a touchy subject in certain circles, some say running dogs cheapens the take. It’s a long discussion fo-sho.
Personally i have no problem with them running dogs for them, i do wish there was a season before though that would allow someone without dogs more opportunity. Once bear season comes in your going to get ran over by bear hunters with dogs on public. Ive walked up on 3-4 this year deer hunting and cant do anything, kinda sucks. Now its bear season, and even where i hunt on private i can hear 4-5 different races in the mornings. I do have bears that show up every now and again on the private but its really hit or miss.

Jim828

FNG
Hey folks. Just found rokslide. I usually watch Georgia outdoors news and Bowsite. I’m in Pickens County SC and saw Old-Cat’s reply about the season ending. As some of y’all know, SC has the week of still hunt and the week after for dog hunt. Couple of friends and I a few years ago poured over all the regs pertaining to bear hunting and could find nothing about “having a dog for a dog hunt”. 3 of us have been filling out the dog hunt application and getting a permit for the dog hunt week. So, still hunt for 2 weeks. Just came out of the woods about an hour ago. It’s perfectly legal. Another friend of ours is a Game Warden and fully approves of what we’re doing. Said we’re the second group to do it and the other is a couple of LEO’s. Just have to make sure that all on the permit have the additional bear tag for their license. Hope this helps some of ya to extend the season.

willtim

WKR
Hey folks. Just found rokslide. I usually watch Georgia outdoors news and Bowsite. I’m in Pickens County SC and saw Old-Cat’s reply about the season ending. As some of y’all know, SC has the week of still hunt and the week after for dog hunt. Couple of friends and I a few years ago poured over all the regs pertaining to bear hunting and could find nothing about “having a dog for a dog hunt”. 3 of us have been filling out the dog hunt application and getting a permit for the dog hunt week. So, still hunt for 2 weeks. Just came out of the woods about an hour ago. It’s perfectly legal. Another friend of ours is a Game Warden and fully approves of what we’re doing. Said we’re the second group to do it and the other is a couple of LEO’s. Just have to make sure that all on the permit have the additional bear tag for their license. Hope this helps some of ya to extend the season.
I have often thought about this. Did you submit a "party" to DNR?