SCARPA REBEL K PRO 10 HD Worth the $500?

I've always used Redwing boots. Never used Crispi or Kuiu, but I really like the Scarpa from Kuiu. If anyone has used these boots, how do you feel about them now?

Thanks

I have a pair and I really like them. The sole is relatively stiff, I prefer a stiffer sole, and they are the lightest hunting boot that I have. Also they are on sale at the moment from Kuiu

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you really need the insulation from the Kuius, the Scarpa Fuego is a pretty great boot. Have two years on a pair fighting wildfires in the summers and hunting in the fall.

Brendan

WKR
That's a very, very different boot than a redwing. Beyond that, it depends on if they fit your foot well. I tried Scarpa and hated them, tore my feet up, now run Lathrop & Sons and Crispi.

Whenever I buy a boot, I expect that I'm going to return at least 2-3 pairs after trying them on in my house before settling on a model and size that works for me. Make sure you're allowed to return them once wearing them around the house or on a treadmill.

OP
Y
Thanks for that info. I wonder what the drawbacks to just hunting in redwings is? Or workboots in general. I've put in 5 years of 90-100 hour weeks on the WTX oil rigs with redwings and never had issue, and I think a hunting boot may just be an unnecessary expense at this point... If a guy can work in boots (on caliche, on desert sand --not talking about a factory) why can't he hunt in them? For $500 idk man

Brendan

WKR
Thanks for that info. I wonder what the drawbacks to just hunting in redwings is? Or workboots in general. I've put in 5 years of 90-100 hour weeks on the WTX oil rigs with redwings and never had issue, and I think a hunting boot may just be an unnecessary expense at this point... If a guy can work in boots (on caliche, on desert sand --not talking about a factory) why can't he hunt in them? For $500 idk man
Flat ground vs the mountains is very, very different. Especially if you get in a scenario where the boot is wet all the time. Your favorite work boots will probably stretch, get sloppy, and tear your feet to pieces from the ups, downs, and sidehilling.

Very different requirements.

Plenty of Boots that'll work that are sub $300 and sub $200.

Comfortable boots appropriate for the hunt are arguably the most important piece of gear you can have in my book.

Wrench

WKR
Have a boot fail a few thousand feet of vert and a couple of miles from camp. I had a Dwight Schuh special sneaker blow a sole off and made it back off the mountain with duct tape.

My pard wore a pair that blistered him so bad he walked out of the plane wreck on Deadman in the blues clear to the trailhead in socks.....that's MILES.

buyer beware!

It just depends on what kind of hunting you are doing. If you are doing multi-day backpack/backcountry and or in high or rough terrain, a more dedicated backpacking or perhaps mountaineering boot may be very advantageous. If you're day hunting from a base camp or a truck in more forgiving terrain, your money may be better spent elsewhere - especially if you are familiar and comfortable with your Redwings.

FWIW my backpacking/backcountry hunting boot are Lowa Tibets. Fit of the boot to your feet will override nearly every other of a boots attributes.

Good luck in your search!

def90

WKR
I bought the Scarpa Zodiaks a couple months ago and am loving them so far. I've put quite a few elk scouting miles on them already, probably at least 10,000 vertical feet over 20 miles or so. Stiff bottoms and relatively light, no insulation which is what I like.

The Rebel Pro 10K looks like a boot you would wear in Alaska on a Dall sheep hunt or something. Might be overkill for most of what you would need in the lower 48.

Are they better than Redwings? Probably depends a lot on what you are using them for and what kind of terrain. Scarpa makes great gear, they have been in the mountaineering business for almost 100 years, they know a thing or two about building high quality boots.

I ran the rebel K gtx for two years and loved the. My started widening out and scarps are designed for a narrow foot. Currently wear Crispi Colorado and they are super comfy.
Nark

OP
Y
Thanks for all the advice.

What is special or different about a mountaineering boot structurally when compared to (high quality) work boots? My redwings survived about two years per pair, but 28 day rotations at roughly 18 hours a day soaked in crude oil and brine water and frac fluid. If a boot can do that for $250 why drop $300-500 on special boots? Is there something unique to mountaineering boots that justifies that? Special construction? Special soles? Only thing that immediately comes to mind would be grippier soles (though I never had traction issues even on oil/mud) and the biggest one would be weight. My steel toe redwings are heavy. So I'm thinking it's like $100-250 extra for grippy soles and weight reduction? I think I'm missing something so please enlighten me. Very interested

thnx

Edit: Yes, scenario would be spot and stalk Backcountry hunting and camping, not vehicles or blinds. I'm asking with that context in mind. And I would be comparing the redwings without steel toes, for what it counts.

OP
Y
Flat ground vs the mountains is very, very different. Especially if you get in a scenario where the boot is wet all the time. Your favorite work boots will probably stretch, get sloppy, and tear your feet to pieces from the ups, downs, and sidehilling.

Very different requirements.

Plenty of Boots that'll work that are sub $300 and sub $200.

Comfortable boots appropriate for the hunt are arguably the most important piece of gear you can have in my book.

Would u mind naming a couple of those sub $300 that you personally think are a good product? I'd like to investigate them because I don't have a ton of mountaineering experience. A decade of wilderness survival type stuff but all in the desert or Northwoods, not mountainous regions.

Thanks man

Wrench

WKR
I have a lot of boots, this being some. I worked the oilfields myself. The boot that worked the field will be geared towards climbing ladders and standing / walking. Stiff ankles are not helpful for this and driving in mountaineering boots......well, it sucks.

A mountaineering boot will be able to stabilize your foot in all aspects, where a work boot is typically shanked for ladders and shovels, but designed to be able to flex.

A mountaineering boot will typically have a much softer rubber compound because they need to grip where a workboot will be vibram based and designed to be oil resistant and take surface abrasion well.

A mountaineering boot will be designed to shed snow and water where a work boot is designed to protect your foot and likely be able to be made steel toed.

20190419_082549.jpg

Brendan

WKR
What type of hunting are you doing? That's important and you haven't mentioned it yet. Early season Elk? Warm Weather Mule Deer? Late Season Elk or Deer in the Mountains? Antelope? Sheep / Goat?

I've been Elk hunting the west for the last 6 years and don't use what I'd call a Mountaineering Boot. For a lot of things, they suck and are hard to cover miles in because of how stiff the soles are. If you're sheep or goat hunting or have really weak feet, that's one thing, but I prefer more of an all-around mountain hunting boot. I use the Crispi Thor, Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter Elite, and a Crispi Wild Rock depending on the season and terrain. None are Mountaineering Boots.

Here's a great all-around hunting boot if they fit you. The Thor can also be found sub $300.

BlackOvis also has a ton of other options here (And they've done a 10% discount for Rokslide members in the past), but I wouldn't recommend Danner:

Wrench

WKR
Mountaineering boots SUCK for stalking too. Driving and stalking are the weak points. They do rock for heavy loads in bad footing.

So from what you've described I'd say you may want a good backpacking or backcountry hunting boot. It doesn't sound like you need a mountaineering boot (crampon compatible, synthetic contruction, etc). You could could find a light mountaineering boo very nice, they work very well for some folks. I've never used them so I don't have an opinion there.

What a backpacking boot will likely get you over your Redwings (and the degree to all of these will depend on the boot and which redwing). I would expect the backpacking boot to be stiffer to provide more support for your feet while carrying heavy loads, more weather resistant (less seams, a goretex liner), likely lighter weight, more grippy sole, better lacing system.

That said I've seen folks backpacking in cowboy boots and having a great time! :)

OP
Y
What type of hunting are you doing? That's important and you haven't mentioned it yet. Early season Elk? Warm Weather Mule Deer? Late Season Elk or Deer in the Mountains? Antelope? Sheep / Goat?

I've been Elk hunting the west for the last 6 years and don't use what I'd call a Mountaineering Boot. For a lot of things, they suck and are hard to cover miles in because of how stiff the soles are. If you're sheep or goat hunting or have really weak feet, that's one thing, but I prefer more of an all-around mountain hunting boot. I use the Crispi Thor, Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter Elite, and a Crispi Wild Rock depending on the season and terrain. None are Mountaineering Boots.

Here's a great all-around hunting boot if they fit you. The Thor can also be found sub $300.

BlackOvis also has a ton of other options here (And they've done a 10% discount for Rokslide members in the past), but I wouldn't recommend Danner:

Thanks for the reply. those boots seem great for me. regarding your question, Actually... I'm gearing up for my first big game hunt. I've not gone spot and stalk big game hunting yet. My outdoors experience is from doing bushcraft for about a decade (which doesn't require 1/10 as much walking as spot and stalk hunting from what ive heard from my buddies). So I'm not sure how to answer because I haven't figured it out yet. Been really busy this year and waiting on consulting some friends to find out what they suggest for my first hunt. So, I was just going for all purpose boots. Definitely won't be anything in winter. Doesn't need insulation.