Scent Control

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, ok, ok... I am walking into the valley of the damned here with this post :)

First let me say, I value scent control and understand the role that it plays. That said, after doing some research and talking to PhD professors at places like MSU Deer Lab and others - how far does it really go?

To para-quote (about what he said) Dr Marcus Lashley at MSU Deer Lab told me in an interview... "the deer's ability to smell would be like a human watching a holographic 5 dimensional TV set (its that far beyond our capability)".

When we take into account that cold or hot, even minimal movement by our bodies is going to destroy any "scent control" we put try to put in place... What is a reasonable program for scent control? Mine looks like this:
1. Manage wind - know my wind and know what direction I intend to hunt.
2. Manage presence - don't leave a lot of "human" smells around the areas you want or expect game even during scouting.
3. Reduce/limit non natural smells - keep that purel off your hunting clothing, don't wear colognes etc, remove industrial smells from gear...

Beyond that I find the true scent control virtually impossible if not useless. Impossible, because even if I bag up "stand clothing" and put it on before I go up on my stand (or equivalent) guess what? In five minutes I sweat and smell (to game). Useless because no matter how far we take scent control they can smell us.... Based on all the scientific data I read.

So what's your take on scent control and what's your strategy? East coast or Western!

Drenalin

WKR
I only worry about the first two items on your list. I'm a whitetail hunter in the east, and traded the scent control voodoo a few years ago for being more cognizant of what wind and thermals are doing. I'd say it's improved my hunting.

Rich M

WKR
East coast - watch wind, don't grab stuff with hands while walking thru woods, rubber boots.

Western hunting - open land - kinda watch wind. Wind will affect how deer bed. It will also affect how they enter a feeding area - usually towards the downwind side.

Have had deer totally freak out when encountering my scent trail - was a good lesson in having fool-proof entrance and exits from stands to maximize stand effectiveness.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I bow hunt whitetails here in the Midwest, and I do all three items on your list. I also run an ozonics unit. Some on here I'm sure will say Ozonics is a BS gimmick, but I've used it for the last so many years, and I have seen it work. Let me be clear, I hunt the wind. If the wind isn't right for the stand I want to hunt, I won't hunt it. I like the ozonics unit for the added scent security. For that one doe that just coincidentally happens to come in down wind. Nothing worse than an old boss doe standing down wind of you blowing & stomping ruining your hunt.

Jetboy

FNG
I bow hunt whitetails here in the Midwest, and I do all three items on your list. I also run an ozonics unit. Some on here I'm sure will say Ozonics is a BS gimmick, but I've used it for the last so many years, and I have seen it work. Let me be clear, I hunt the wind. If the wind isn't right for the stand I want to hunt, I won't hunt it. I like the ozonics unit for the added scent security. For that one doe that just coincidentally happens to come in down wind. Nothing worse than an old boss doe standing down wind of you blowing & stomping ruining your hunt.

X 2. It works. Where I hunt I don’t have the ability to always play the wind perfectly, so I personally make all efforts for full scent control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
My. 02...

I have expereince it working when I have showered, washed my clothes in it, sprayed the stuff on my clothes, and not sweated a ton. And then it only acts as a way to confuse things momentarily.

I suppl wash my clothes in it, wear the deodorant and I do spray my boots. But that's only if im at the truck each day. If im in the back country then I play the wind all day everyday.

I wash my clothes in scent free stuff then goes into a scent locker or something like that air/water tight bag. Mainly to keep pets outta it and their smells off it. I’ve also put some of those cheap dirt wafers in the bag before now I just rub some dirt or pines on as I’m walking in. Try to play the wind in my favor but can be tough in WNC

Wrench

WKR

Wrench

WKR
Anyone who thinks they can fool a whitetail or herd of elk in pressure country is nuts.

Ozonics might buy a few seconds.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I wash my stuff with scent free detergent and then hang it outside to air dry. Once dry I spray it with scent killer 2x and allow it to dry. I put it in my sportsman’s tote and it sits out side (the totes water proof). I’m willing to try anything that gets me an extra second or two. I don’t think fools them but it may buy you some time. I try to not change into my stuff until I arrive at my hunting location. However when I’m up north it’s so cold I usually put my base layers on while driving. I also shower with scent free soap and put on scent free deodorant. It has seemed to work for me but I’m not going to call it a full proof plan. I just feel it’s better to be as careful as possible

JAC357

FNG
I wear rubber boots and wash my body clothes/in unscented stuff, but besides that I just play the wind

jmez

WKR
Wind, terrain and thermals. All equally important. Everything is for your piece of mind.

Lifelong midwest WT hunter. Been through the various stages of "scent control." I don't do anything special anymore. I hunt the wind when possible. I also have limited time to hunt so if I have time and the wind is wrong I go anyway.

Sometimes deer care when they smell you, sometimes they don't. Has nothing to do with your "regime." I haven't found elk to be the same.