Scent Web in Colorado

Mbirn277

FNG
Hello! FNG here, new to Rokslide and relatively new to Colorado hunting. I’ve seen Scent Web popping up, but I’m really concerned about using it as it’s a solid thing I’m leaving behind that maybe could be interpreted as bait by an overzealous CPW agent. It claims to last for five days and since it’s something a deer might eat because it smells so good, I’d be very concerned about using it in the field.

I’m used to hunting in states where bait is legal. It’s a whole different game here in the Rockies. I love it. I love the philosophy of hunting out here, I love the conservation I’m learning, and I don’t want to disrespect the system. Of course I don’t want to violate any laws, either. Thanks for your help!

So ur planning on using this for deer? I’m not sure the legality of it, seems to me to be a scent cover up, but you also have to remember the deer urine used is usually whitetail, so I’m not sure it would help you at all with mule deer but could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mbirn277

FNG
So ur planning on using this for deer? I’m not sure the legality of it, seems to me to be a scent cover up, but you also have to remember the deer urine used is usually whitetail, so I’m not sure it would help you at all with mule deer but could be wrong.

There’s an apple flavor one that I was thinking of using. It’s like silly string with a smell in it. That’s the part that makes me nervous about it. I feel like it’s got to count as bait. If it’s a thing you leave behind to attract deer, how is that not bait? Does that make sense?

I see I didn’t see the Apple one,

I would say if it leaves an edible substance then you are correct that it would probably be considered baiting.

Now I talked with a CPW officer about that bear syrup stuff, just for a reference, he said I cannot dump it on the ground or anything to attract a bear BUT there is nothing in the book about wearing it as a cover scent... so I could cover myself in that stuff and sit there waiting for a bear and I’m just covering my scent not baiting....

OP
M

Mbirn277

FNG
I see I didn’t see the Apple one,

I would say if it leaves an edible substance then you are correct that it would probably be considered baiting.

Now I talked with a CPW officer about that bear syrup stuff, just for a reference, he said I cannot dump it on the ground or anything to attract a bear BUT there is nothing in the book about wearing it as a cover scent... so I could cover myself in that stuff and sit there waiting for a bear and I’m just covering my scent not baiting....

I’ve been thinking about going bear hunting with a box of jelly donuts. Just perch my happy butt in a stand and enjoy some delicious Krispy Kreme’s or something! Lol.

I appreciate the insight. I will probably go ahead and give CPW a call. My gut says you’re right. It’s probably not worth the risk. Thank you!

Rich M

WKR
Are there any apples in CO? Seems like the apply flavor would be a strange odor, maybe spook em?

Poser

WKR
As a former Eastern Whitetail hunter, I’m aware of how gimmicky the pursuit has become, mostly because it’s an entire industry that caters to fat, lazy hunters who desire to kill the biggest deer with the least effort possible and will spend endless amounts of money on products that promise such an experience.

So, I’m gonna you straight: this isn’t how you hunt Mule Deer in the West. It isn’t how you effectively hunt mule deer nor is it how you aesthetically hunt mule deer. It’s a whole different experience. Instead of trying to import a gimmicky product with a questionable legal status into the pursuit, buy yourself a good pair of optics and good fitting boots and hit the ground looking for deer. That’s how you hunt deer in the Rocky Mtns -that’s the experience you expressed admiration for. thats how you do it. a shortcut, even if it is legal and actually works (which i doubt it will) will only deprive the experience.