Schnees Beartooth 2 or Timberline?

SWThomas

FNG
I've read several posts and reviews about the Beartooth boots, but haven't been able to find anything about the Timberlines. Probably because they're so new. I live in NC and hunt whitetails primarily. I know I don't "need" a mountain boot here, but I'm a fan of quality and multifuntionality. Plus, I like the added protection of a tall boot and the higher likelihood of actual waterproofing that all-leather boots offer. I'm planning to venture out west a couple times a year to try to get some elk for the freezer. Looking for an all around hunting boot and am wanting to give Schnees a try. Being that these two boots come uninsulated, are light, and aren't very stiff, I figure whichever I choose could be a year round boot for the scorching summers and into-the-20s winters here.

I currently have a pair of Meindl Perkekt Hunters and they're a nice boot, but a little too hot (insulated) and stiff for early season.

What say you?

Big_a_231

FNG
I have a pair of Timberlines. I was able to wear them during rifle season and am very happy with them. Great customer service from Schnee as well.

OP
S

SWThomas

FNG
I have a pair of Timberlines. I was able to wear them during rifle season and am very happy with them. Great customer service from Schnee as well.

Thanks! Do you think they would be good for hot weather?

Big_a_231

FNG
Thanks! Do you think they would be good for hot weather?
I think they would be good for hot weather. I tend to have hot feet when hiking. My feet stayed comfortable from freezing temps to mid 50s. They were also pretty easy to break in. I'm very impressed.

Ten Bears

WKR
I owned the Beartooth 1 and the new Timberlines.

The beartooth is my favorite boot of all time.

I think of the Timberline as a lighter easier to break in version. It's been nothing short of outstanding to me so far. Quick break in, not too hot, good balance of stiffness and not feeling caged in.

Both will be excellent purchases.

OP
S

SWThomas

FNG
I owned the Beartooth 1 and the new Timberlines.

The beartooth is my favorite boot of all time.

I think of the Timberline as a lighter easier to break in version. It's been nothing short of outstanding to me so far. Quick break in, not too hot, good balance of stiffness and not feeling caged in.

Both will be excellent purchases.

Thanks for the info! How did the Beartooth boots fair in hot weather? From my understanding on Schnee's website, the Timberline boots are supposed to be the same as the Beartooth with less rigidity. Pretty much what you said.

OP
S

SWThomas

FNG
I think they would be good for hot weather. I tend to have hot feet when hiking. My feet stayed comfortable from freezing temps to mid 50s. They were also pretty easy to break in. I'm very impressed.

Awesome! Thanks again for the info.

Ten Bears

WKR
Thanks for the info! How did the Beartooth boots fair in hot weather? From my understanding on Schnee's website, the Timberline boots are supposed to be the same as the Beartooth with less rigidity. Pretty much what you said.

My beartooths were the insulated ones, still not crazy hot though. When I buy the 2's this year (they usually have a promo code at st patricks day) I will go insulated again as the Timberlines are fine for warmer weather.

OP
S

SWThomas

FNG
My beartooths were the insulated ones, still not crazy hot though. When I buy the 2's this year (they usually have a promo code at st patricks day) I will go insulated again as the Timberlines are fine for warmer weather.

Nice. Thanks again for the info. Being that I'm in NC and it's pretty warm during early season, I think I'll give the Timberlines a go. And I have the Miendl Perfekt Hunter for later in the season.

Owenst7

WKR
I have Beartooth 1 mids which are uninsulated and had nocomplaints during 100°F backpacking trips this past summer. I'm from Alaska and just about die in that kind of weather. My feet got hot sometimes, but that's an issue I have with any boot, especially all leather ones.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Not every St. Patrick's Day... :rolleyes:.

But we do like to hook up Rokslide members, so PM me anytime your looking to get something and I'll see what I can do.

OP
S

SWThomas

FNG
Not every St. Patrick's Day... :rolleyes:.

But we do like to hook up Rokslide members, so PM me anytime your looking to get something and I'll see what I can do.

For some reason I can't PM you. Must not have enough posts yet.

A huge thank you to everyone who posted here - your feedback is valued by folks such as myself.

I purchased both pairs of boots to answer the OP's very question for myself, and after wearing both pairs around inside for the day, going up and down stairs, and just generally trying to get a feel for them, I'm going with the Timberlines. We'll see how the fare going forward but for me I had a couple of observations.

1) There's almost no weight difference. I was a little surprised by this based on the meateater review extolling the light weight of the Timberline boot, but each Timberline is only 1 1/2 oz lighter than the Beartooth II.
2) I liked both boots but the Timberlines felt great immediately. On my last hiking boots (Asolos) the last lace holes dug into my left foot when I flexed forward and I felt the same thing on the Beartooths. Maybe the Beartooths would've broken in eventually, but the Timberlines felt great... immediately.
3) The Timberlines are quieter. I tested this over and over - there was no question I could walk a lot more quietly with the softer boot. With the stiffer shank, the Beartooths make more of a "thud" when they land flat, but I can roll my foot onto the ground better with the Timberlines. (Note: I read an interview with the President of Schnees that confirmed this https://journalofmountainhunting.com/an-interview-with-curt-smith/ )
4) I played around with orthotics. I'm an avid backcountry skier (read: telemarker) and custom footbeds cured my knee problems. I'll be ordering a a pair of Lathrop and Sons custom footbeds on the advice of another fellow Rokslider. (https://lathropandsons.com/synergy-footbeds-custom-insoles.html ).

Lastly, just a statement on use - these are intended for a future elk hunt, but will do a lot of grouse and deer hunting (and hopefully pheasant) in the next year in New England (and S Dakota). If I was a dedicated elk hunter living out West, I'd definitely opt for a much heavier boot like the Granites.

I hope this helps a fellow hunter or two - I'll try to refer back in another year on how these worked out for me.

Cheers,
Nate

Elkeatr

FNG
A huge thank you to everyone who posted here - your feedback is valued by folks such as myself.

I purchased both pairs of boots to answer the OP's very question for myself, and after wearing both pairs around inside for the day, going up and down stairs, and just generally trying to get a feel for them, I'm going with the Timberlines. We'll see how the fare going forward but for me I had a couple of observations.

1) There's almost no weight difference. I was a little surprised by this based on the meateater review extolling the light weight of the Timberline boot, but each Timberline is only 1 1/2 oz lighter than the Beartooth II.
2) I liked both boots but the Timberlines felt great immediately. On my last hiking boots (Asolos) the last lace holes dug into my left foot when I flexed forward and I felt the same thing on the Beartooths. Maybe the Beartooths would've broken in eventually, but the Timberlines felt great... immediately.
3) The Timberlines are quieter. I tested this over and over - there was no question I could walk a lot more quietly with the softer boot. With the stiffer shank, the Beartooths make more of a "thud" when they land flat, but I can roll my foot onto the ground better with the Timberlines. (Note: I read an interview with the President of Schnees that confirmed this https://journalofmountainhunting.com/an-interview-with-curt-smith/ )
4) I played around with orthotics. I'm an avid backcountry skier (read: telemarker) and custom footbeds cured my knee problems. I'll be ordering a a pair of Lathrop and Sons custom footbeds on the advice of another fellow Rokslider. (https://lathropandsons.com/synergy-footbeds-custom-insoles.html ).

Lastly, just a statement on use - these are intended for a future elk hunt, but will do a lot of grouse and deer hunting (and hopefully pheasant) in the next year in New England (and S Dakota). If I was a dedicated elk hunter living out West, I'd definitely opt for a much heavier boot like the Granites.

I hope this helps a fellow hunter or two - I'll try to refer back in another year on how these worked out for me.

Cheers,
Nate
I love my timberlines. I wear them in Washington for early season backcountry elk hunts and late season deer. I’ve stayed bone dry in them and were comfortable right out of the box and everyday after that. I may invest in a pair of the beartooths for backcountry elk, as the timberlines are pretty flexible, but so far they have offered me adequate support and comfort with heavy pack loads

I love my timberlines. I wear them in Washington for early season backcountry elk hunts and late season deer. I’ve stayed bone dry in them and were comfortable right out of the box and everyday after that. I may invest in a pair of the beartooths for backcountry elk, as the timberlines are pretty flexible, but so far they have offered me adequate support and comfort with heavy pack loads
Thanks Elkeatr!
One question - did you treat the leather on your boots with anything? I treated another pair of boots with Snowseal for close to 15 years - I was really pleased with how long they lasted. I treated a newer pair of Gore-Tex boots strictly with Nikwax and they broke down after only 6 years. Just curious if you tried anything.

Elkeatr

FNG
I have not yet treated these boots, but have had good luck with snowseal on a pair of irish setter elk trackers that seemed to work well, never had any issues with wet feet!

rjf611

FNG
Great review Nate! I was considering both and leaning towards the Beartooths for rifle season in the Catskills and Adirondacks. Sounds like the Timberlines are quieter and better suited for still hunting, my intended use. The only time I will be carrying weight is when packing out my kill so the flex looks about right for me.
Thx for the comparison, it helped me out.