School me on calling cats

Planning a quick trip this weekend to pick up some trail cameras of mine from last year. Every year I get numerous bobcats and lions. So I want to go out and give it a whirl in a couple areas.

I have done some research and talked to a few people who have done this before and have a few tips. What I have going for me is I know there is at least one mature female in the area for the past couple years with others that stroll through as well. Random Tom’s move through too obviously. One area seems to be a prime spot for a cougar hide out (steep, rocky, brushy, and on the edge of wintering ground for elk/deer)...plus I’ve ive numerous pictures of them near there over the years. Along with several bobcats.

my research has taught me: call to cats for a long time, they come in slow and stealthy. Hunt where they are (I will walk some ridges and high travel area where I guess they will move more regularly to look for sign). I plan to use fawn deer or cotton tail or calf elk distress call since that would be obvious prey in this area for cougar. I would use baby cottontail, woodpecker, or other small prey for the bobcats.

what are your favorite ways to call? Constant Calling or intermittent? Do cats get wary if I were to switch from one distress call to another? Or is it better to stick with the one prey distress call?

I’ve read some about using the cougar vocalizations. Has anyone found they successful? And if so what have worked the best? Whistles? Female in heat?

Thanks in advance! I did a little search but didn’t pull up a ton of info.

Kaleb W

FNG
I've called in a good amount of lynx up here this winter and you won't want to approach them the same way you'd approach coyotes. Set yourself up in the most advantageous shooting/calling position and disregard wind direction (within reason)... then call loud and constant. Plan on sitting for 30-45 minutes as many cats show up in the 20-30 minute mark. If you can legally hunt at night, that's the best way to go. Good luck to ya!

OP
bjfoxhoven
I've called in a good amount of lynx up here this winter and you won't want to approach them the same way you'd approach coyotes. Set yourself up in the most advantageous shooting/calling position and disregard wind direction (within reason)... then call loud and constant. Plan on sitting for 30-45 minutes as many cats show up in the 20-30 minute mark. If you can legally hunt at night, that's the best way to go. Good luck to ya!
Thanks! Any and all info is good. The cats don’t seem to circle downwind at all? Mainly using their eyesight as they come in? Bobcat season actually closes a few days before I can get out there unfortunately. That means lions/coyotes will be on the hit list.

Kaleb W

FNG
They'll approach from downwind, but not every time. They can't help but try to lay eyes on whatever is making all that awful noise, even if they catch some human scent. That's been my experience at night at least. Stick to distress sounds that match what they're targeting. In my case I only use hare sounds since snowshoe hares are almost exclusively what they eat.

FLAK

WKR
I've done my best at calling up a Bobcat the past couple years.
By my count, I've got 18 sets in @ 45-1hr, with no luck.
Lots of tracks though.
All I've been able to call up are hawks, owls, and crows.
Good Luck.

Kaleb W

FNG
Are you able to call at night in your neck of the woods? I'd bet that would make a big difference... I think they're much more likely to throw caution to the wind when it's dark.

Voyageur

WKR
Lots of tracks though.
Good Luck.
I feel your pain and am able to commiserate with you. I'm hoping to learn something on this thread.

Kaleb W

FNG
You might want to give a decoy of some sort a try... like a hanging bird wing or electronic decoy to add movement. Take advantage of their curiosity.

FLAK

WKR
I dont know about the OP, but I've been using a Foxpro Inferno with the decoy attachment.
Gonna get after it again soon while this cooler weather is here.

OP
bjfoxhoven
I do not have a decoy, but could rig something to hang from a limb or whatever. Actually bobcat season closes tomorrow, I was thinking I had another week! Lion season is still going, and coyotes are not in short supply where we are going. Still targeting mountain lion, but wouldn’t pass up a yote knowing I have limited time and zero fresh scouting for the lions.

FLAK

WKR
Made a couple sets this afternoon. Cat and Yote(xl) tracks a plenty. Baby Bee Cottontail and Bobcat in heat.
NO takers.

TheGDog

WKR
Make DANG sure you can see the entire FOV as best as you can! Had one 8yds away once, didn't know it until stood up to stretch after holding the weapon at the ready for 45min. Since the selected sit location was too close and had a narrow FOV on the MOJO.

Bring whatever bipod/tripod setup makes it easiest to hold the weapon nearest to at-the-ready as possible, so there's little movement on your part at moment of truth.

Even with a motion decoy.. the Bobcats may lay down / crouch-down not too far away from it in cover and watch it for quite some time deciding if they feel like trying to pounce.

RE: Motion Decoy... since you mentioned rocky, if you don't already have it, get the MOJO Critter 2 with the 3 shock-corded legs... rather than spear-into-the-ground post. That way you can put it on top of a rock for even greater visibility by them! Worked real well for grey fox.

If the wind let's you, definitely setup in the AM so that your back is to the sun and you're in a shadow.

You may want to try to start off your set with a mouth call first. Maybe only like a minute max. Since they're louder and more crisp and clear and carry well. Then... after 30sec-1min pause switch over to your eCaller after your first round of mouth calling. Make sure when switch over, same species on eCaller.

OP
bjfoxhoven
I planned to bring a bipod so I would be as movement free as possible. Borrow some whites and maybe a guille jacket or two for my brother who is going to be on stand with me. I may bring my saddle Along to and get up 12 ft or so to get a vantage...which will be a huge advantage in some areas I’m guessing.

how often do you guys switch between prey distress sounds? When you start with one cottontail, how long to you give they before switching to something else? Do you let some time go between switching?

TheGDog

WKR
The more experienced dudes I happened to ask around those same questions... they told me 3, up to 5 mins of playing the call (if distances are longer and more wide-open)... 30sec - 1min rest in between playing same sound. At least 1min rest in between when switching to another sound.

Also said that when blowing mouth calls... to remember the species you're trying to reproduce, and don't go blowing for far longer than their lung capacity would actually allow them to call. They said to think about how this little critter would be running out of breath, especially since it's injured. And blow your calls accordingly.

Kaleb W

FNG
You may want to try to start off your set with a mouth call first. Maybe only like a minute max. Since they're louder and more crisp and clear and carry well. Then... after 30sec-1min pause switch over to your eCaller after your first round of mouth calling. Make sure when switch over, same species on eCaller.

Good point about changing sounds... I've had great luck using a variety of hare sounds on the same set, but I once watched a Lynx turn around after accidentally hitting a bird sound after playing snowshoe hare sounds for 20+ minutes straight. Brought him back after I switched back to hare sounds. Keep after it!

Lots of tracks though.
Good Luck.
You don't even want to know the number I've sat before I've gotten them in. And even then only have walked out with one on my back.

TheGDog

WKR
Like I said... had one at 8yds from me and not even know it. Tried to put on shot on him as he was doing leaps over buck brush heading back to the thick but nogo.

Then last day of deer season 2019 one cruised by my sit at 20yds. He's up on the wall now!

2020 one easily 2x more buffed and thick also cruised by at about 50yds. Could have totally taken him but a##hole Newscum has banned take of Bobcats in CA for at least 5yrs.

Have also seen young ones running back into the thick while driving back out.

If you're saying lotsa tracks, and if your cams have seen them too. I'd be very willing to bet they did come in during your calling sessions, but you weren't concealed enough, or not in the shadows enough or you weren't keeping still enough and they made you out and said C-Ya!

They are smart! The one at 8yds.. when I realized what happened, I tried to slowly re-grip my rifle... (keeping my eyes peeled on him) then rotate... to see if I'd possibly be able to make a shot. At first he was behind a bush just tops of ear and tip of nose stuck out. Was at my extreme right.

In Leafy suit... as I attempted each maneuver, if he moved at all I froze. It would take about 5 different turning steps to get to where I would be able to raise the weapon and fire. About the 2nd maneuver... my scent must have wafted over to him... because he stuck his head up to sniff at the wind. At some point he saw this leafy thing there (me) that was frozen. He didn't know what it was, but he knew that scent made his nervous. Each time he turned to look away from me and attempted to move a slight bit more out of the area, I'd attempt to turn more towards being able to face him... but then after each little short blip of distance he'd traverse, he'd stop and look back at me... I'd freeze again... THEN... after like 3 of those... he put a bush in-between he and I... and made sure to keep it between he and I in the way he retreateded from the scene. At a certain point I had to try to step out from behind the line of that bush and tried lobbing a .17 HMR at him by timing his leaps over the buck brush, but it was a nogo unforunately. I'm pretty sure he was that same impressive specimen I saw at end of 2020 deer season too. Real buffed looking. Had these amazing gold colored eyes. It was early in the morning so the sun was shining toward him so his pupils when I first saw him were very closed up, hence why I saw so much of the gold/yellow shiny coloration to them.

I was very intrigued how he thought to make use of that bush and keep it between the two of us in the way that he chose to retreat once he got himself behind it.

I’ve called in bobcat before with mouth calls. I’ve had one come in at about the 2 minute mark. I must have setup close to him. He appeared at 15 yards and I put an arrow thru him