School me on meopta riflescopes

In the market for some new glass. I've been spinning turrets quite a bit and I already think I have an issue with leupold rtz. Somebody please give me the rundown on meopta. Their website is a nightmare. Looking for medium power variable, preferably ffp. Does not need to be illuminated. Priorities being reliable elevation dialing and return to zero. How is eye relief? Clarity at top magnification? Do they have locking turrets?

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I think probably the reason you haven't heard much of them is probably because not many people have them.
As an unknown, people are taking a chance, especially rolling the dice on resale value which is a big consideration.
For example, if you drop $3k on an S&B or Nightforce, you know you can get most of it back easily when you sell it used... if you drop that same on say an IOR, you'd be lucky to get 60% back.
My advice would be to work on providing a really top notch scope at a really great value price, get it into as many hands as possible & then go from there.
Possibly work with some dealers to offer a test service for a limited time, where people for a refundable deposit could test out one of the scopes for a week or two to see how it worked for them, then send it back for the next guy to test with.
Hopefully they don't get some idiot college puke that took some stupid branding class and tells them that they need to jack prices sky high so people think they are a high end scope and threaten their dealers... Premier tried that and went bust, IOR tried that to a lesser degree and lost market momentum.
We could use more scope manufacturers making really top notch scopes and putting the price pressure on to keep things affordable.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve looked through a Meopta fixed 6 power scope on someone else’s rifle once. Seemed like excellent glass. If I didn’t have an fx3 I would consider one. Not sure about dialing and such, not even sure what that is. But as far as glads quality I don’t think you can go wrong with Meopta.

OP
lyle_destroys
I think probably the reason you haven't heard much of them is probably because not many people have them.
As an unknown, people are taking a chance, especially rolling the dice on resale value which is a big consideration.
For example, if you drop $3k on an S&B or Nightforce, you know you can get most of it back easily when you sell it used... if you drop that same on say an IOR, you'd be lucky to get 60% back.
My advice would be to work on providing a really top notch scope at a really great value price, get it into as many hands as possible & then go from there.
Possibly work with some dealers to offer a test service for a limited time, where people for a refundable deposit could test out one of the scopes for a week or two to see how it worked for them, then send it back for the next guy to test with.
Hopefully they don't get some idiot college puke that took some stupid branding class and tells them that they need to jack prices sky high so people think they are a high end scope and threaten their dealers... Premier tried that and went bust, IOR tried that to a lesser degree and lost market momentum.
We could use more scope manufacturers making really top notch scopes and putting the price pressure on to keep things affordable.
I'm really leaning towards a nightforce shv but I've heard that meopta has top notch german glass. If their tracking is as good as NF then it will be a serious contender. I was also looking at swfa 3-15 but would consider it a notch below as far as glass quality especially on the upper end of magnification from what I've heard.

rmarshall

WKR
I have a meopta 3.5-10x44 I got a few years ago from Doug at cameraland. It’s been amazing scope, never an issue, I don’t dial but you can do that kind of stuff with the right turrets. Glass is amazing! I’d buy another one in a minute

For dialing I think the optika 6 line is your best bet. Formidulous did on this site the best review I have seen anywhere on one, and it seemed to do well for him. They delivered in the middle of '19, so not much real world use of them yet.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Meopta simply rocks. They built the original zeiss conquest series that EVERYONE bought. They built the cabelas euro instinct line. They make great binoculars also.

If you get out of the "Swarovski or keep saving" sites and look at some other applications like bird watching, astronomy....etc, you'll see meopta runs in the top 20% for most applications.

They do have horrible marketing.

Hi there. Hope you are all well. I would like to provide some Optika 6 feedback. I have 3 Meopta Meopros and they have been fantastic. Meopta missed the mark with the 6. Eye relief is very poor and the field of view is limited. It doesn’t give a nice wide picture. I have the 4.5 27 x 50, 30mm rube etc. I do not recommend this scope for this reason. They have gone backwards. Zeiss V4 is the ultimate for the money in my opinion.

I bought one recently. No trouble focusing and shooting something at 15 yds
What I mean, is that the picture, or the field of view is very narrow. Put up a zeiss V4 or a Schmidt and bender 8 x56 and it leaves the Optika 6 behind. I paid $1075 here in Aust for the Optika, $800 for the zeiss and 1000 for the s&b. The meopros had a better field of view. They were better built. The Optika 6 turret also has a small degree of play in it. Horses for courses. Depends on what one calls acceptable. You will remember what I have just said in 6 months. People here in Aust are beginning to feel the same way. Optika 6 has failed the mark. The Optika is going in the bin!!

I have a meopta 3.5-10x44 I got a few years ago from Doug at cameraland. It’s been amazing scope, never an issue, I don’t dial but you can do that kind of stuff with the right turrets. Glass is amazing! I’d buy another one in a minute
Marshall, I totally agree. The Meopro range were fantastic. Great quality and rugged. The Optika 6 are a failure here in Australia.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What I mean, is that the picture, or the field of view is very narrow. Put up a zeiss V4 or a Schmidt and bender 8 x56 and it leaves the Optika 6 behind. I paid $1075 here in Aust for the Optika, $800 for the zeiss and 1000 for the s&b. The meopros had a better field of view. They were better built. The Optika 6 turret also has a small degree of play in it. !!

You do realize that a 4.5-27x is not the same as a fixed 8x56mm, correct? Trying to compare them is pretty asinine.

And V4’s are awesome.... if you like zero shifts from side impacts, zero shifts from vehicle vibration, and intermittent failures to RTZ...

You do realize that a 4.5-27x is not the same as a fixed 8x56mm, correct? Trying to compare them is pretty asinine.

And V4’s are awesome.... if you like zero shifts from side impacts, zero shifts from vehicle vibration, and intermittent failures to RTZ...
I agree and understand that they are not the same. Anyone that knows scopes, is well aware that glass makes all the difference. Look through a Swarovski 12 power, it’s like looking through a 18 on a cheaper scope. Field of view and that crispness is what I don’t like on the Optika. For me the bender is all I need. Have a look through the 8 if you already haven’t and you will understand.

I agree and understand that they are not the same. Anyone that knows scopes, is well aware that glass makes all the difference. Look through a Swarovski 12 power, it’s like looking through a 18 on a cheaper scope. Field of view and that crispness is what I don’t like on the Optika. For me the bender is all I need. Have a look through the 8 if you already haven’t and you will understand.
The ocular is the size of a bus, what were they thinking. There is no benefit of having a massive eye box. Meopro has way better optic than The Optika. Then you need to mount your scope 10km’s off the barrel. I will be writing to Meopta.

I just put a Meopro 4.5-14x44 on my 7mm mag Finnlight. I am very happy with the glass. Considering getting the 3.5-10 for another rifle