Scope base torque specs

6-48 Scope base screws… Leupold recommends 22in/lb for their Cross Slot 1 piece base… I already torqued it down to 25 in/lb . Should I re-torque to the suggested 22 in/lb, or am I over thinking it??? No optic mounted yet. Thanks.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Torque them to at least 25 in/lb. You absolutely don’t want it to move. Some people epoxy the rail to the receiver to eliminate any potential movement. There is a good thread on here about screw torque, you may use the search function to find the thread.

Last edited:
OP
IvarTheBoneless
Torque them to at least 25 in/lb. You absolutely don’t want it to move. Some people epoxy the rail to the receiver to eliminate any potential movement. There is a good thread on here about screw torque, you may use the search function to find the thread.
Im currently torqued to 25 in/lb with blue loc tite. I just don’t want to deform a screw/threads or break my base by torquing over Leupolds suggested spec, but I couldn’t imagine 3 in/lb more would have me anywhere remotely close to that kind of failure.

BLJ

WKR
Not knocking your equipment, but there’s a good chance your torque wrench isn’t even that accurate. I’d let it go.

Full send. Use some nail polish around the screws and rings to show any movement. Only matters that the nail polish is pink.

As you over tighten a small age like that, the first failure is going to be stripping out the head. Manage to get past that point and you'll eventually break the head off the screw. For me, every base that's isn't integral gets jb weld and loctite on the screws and nail polish on top of the screws.