Scope Base selection

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
And is there any real difference between the 6061 vs 7050 aluminum for scope bases? And does the type of aluminum of your scope rings determine what scope base you’d get? Just got a brand new Tikka T3x SS in .270 if that means anything to the feedback.

wapitibob

WKR
6061 will compress with steel, maybe depending on torque, and 7075 will have less elongation which won't really matter on a rail. We see the compression on vise jaws and steel parts, realistically probably not an issue at scope clamp torque specs but I'd go 7075 if I had an option.

OP
S

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
6061 will compress with steel, maybe depending on torque, and 7075 will have less elongation which won't really matter on a rail. We see the compression on vise jaws and steel parts, realistically probably not an issue at scope clamp torque specs but I'd go 7075 if I had an option.
Soooo what does less or more elongation mean? And I’m assuming more is bad?

For a Tikka I would try and find a set of the Sportsmatch rings that clamp onto the Tikka action. Rock solid and just a great set-up for a Tikka. I've sure been pleased with the ones I have on my Superlite.

wapitibob

WKR
Soooo what does less or more elongation mean? And I’m assuming more is bad?
easier to bend, 7075 will break. For the application you will probably be OK with 6061 but there shouldn't be but a few cents worth of cost difference between the two. I used 7075 on the wifes 6.5 and will use nightforce steel rings.