Scope caps

In 1978 I had a set of butler creek scope caps when I came nose to nose to a big bull in a jungle. I had a hard time shooting him because the caps were frozen on. I haven't used them since.

I'm upgrading my rifle to a new leupold 3XHD scope. I noticed they also sell scope caps for them (pricey) and was wondering if anyone has used these and are they worth it ?

Oh - in case you are wondering, since the bull was less than 15 ft away I just pointed and pulled the trigger. He was a nice 320 bull.

6xSquatch

FNG
I have them on every Leupold I own, even a VX3L.

They are $$$ but worth every penny. I've never had a freezing issue with them, and most elk seasons we are crashing snowy brush all day every day.

They look like they share some design aspects with Tenebraex caps which have a good reputation, so probably good to go. The three you should be looking at would probably be Leupold, Tenebraex, and Aadland.

They look identical to my Swarovski lens covers. They are held closed by magnets, and are quick to open when you need them. Same price as the Swarovski covers.

The Leupold Alumina Caps/Covers are great and worth the money for that scope. Very streamlined and quiet. I have never had them freeze but I guess that is a possibility with any scope cap.

Another great option I run on another brand of scope is the Aadland Engineering.

I have also used Butler Creek with great success but am hearing of issues with some of the newer ones.

wyosteve

WKR
Pony-since you hunt horseback a lot I'll offer my .02. I dislike any flip open scope covers when I have to carry my rifle in a scabbard. Can't get the gun slid in without one or both opening. I've had the Leupold's and while they look nice, they open easily in my opinion. I've always used, and will continue, to use one of the slip over entire scope neoprene style covers. I can get it on or off easily and usually quicker than the flip open covers. Just my experience and preference for what it's worth!

I dislike any flip open scope covers when I have to carry my rifle in a scabbard. Can't get the gun slid in without one or both opening.
With Aadland caps this may not be an issue FWIW. The objective cap would be pushed in from putting the rifle into the scabbard (though maybe it would come open when taken out?). And the ocular cap is locked closed until release by pushing the lever attached to it towards the objective so in the opposite direction when putting the rifle into the scabbard.

OP
P
Wyosteve and rayporter, thank you very much. You sharpened up my memory. Now I remember searching for the distal end scope cover that stayed in the scabbard. And the rear scope cover that would open up channeling the snow and water into the scope. I solved some of the rear scope cover issues with a modification of the scabbard flaps. Since I carry my rifle upside down butt forward all these points are critical.

I will keep using my rubberband uncle mike scope covers that are no longer made. When they lost the court case with burris I bought 10 or 12 sets and have picked up parts and pieces at gun shows since then. They should last another 20 years till they bury me.

Do the Aadland Engineering Covers come with an eyepiece and objective cover, or is it only a sleeve that covers the entire scope? I can't find the lens caps, only the sleeve.

Thanks drumstick, I like the look of them. I searched for Aadland engineering, but all I could find was the one piece cover.

Last edited:
I just got a set of the aadland covers with my Maven scope, which was a bundle deal.

I've always used butler creeks on my others. I think I actually prefer the butler creek so far. The aad are way to loud when opening if you just flip them open. I haven't weighed them yet, but they seem much heavier than the bc. I'm also not sure about the split in the side that allows it to be tightened with the screw; it seems like it would be an easier entry point for water.

I've never had any issues with my bc covers. They're light, seem plenty durable, are less expensive, are quieter and easier to flip open which is important if you're still hunting in tight trees and have a quick close shot while being quiet, and they seem to seal very well against weather in all respects.

@Formidilosus , I've seen you use both. Do you have a go to type and what are the pros/cons you've found?

I just got a set of the aadland covers with my Maven scope, which was a bundle deal.

I've always used butler creeks on my others. I think I actually prefer the butler creek so far. The aad are way to loud when opening if you just flip them open. I haven't weighed them yet, but they seem much heavier than the bc. I'm also not sure about the split in the side that allows it to be tightened with the screw; it seems like it would be an easier entry point for water.

I've never had any issues with my bc covers. They're light, seem plenty durable, are less expensive, are quieter and easier to flip open which is important if you're still hunting in tight trees and have a quick close shot while being quiet, and they seem to seal very well against weather in all respects.

@Formidilosus , I've seen you use both. Do you have a go to type and what are the pros/cons you've found?
I am actually in the same boat kind of. I got the ones with the maven as well and I looked at them put them on the scope and ordered the correct ones from butler creek to compare them. Lighter and way less bulky.

BCsteve

WKR
The only issue I had with their covers was the eye piece flipper was in the way of the bolt. The bolt would flip the cover when cycled. By design or not don't know? I just ground the right side one off.
Were you using an objective cap as an eye piece cap?