Scope for Western Rifle in the $1000 Range?

BCD

WKR
I'm looking for a scope to put on my Browning Xbolt HC Speed in 300 WSM that I will use for elk and possibly mule deer out West. I cant imagine I would ever shoot further than 500 yards on game but I will certainly practice at longer distances. Some of the criteria I'm looking for follow:

MUST BE IN MRAD
Relliable Tracking and RTZ
SFP or FFP. If FFP I would prefer to have illumination
Usable for close range in the timber at low light and with low magnification
Magnification from 2-4 on the lower end and up to 16 on the higher end
I will dial for yardage and hold for wind
Light weight of course preferred but I'm willing to sacrifice some here if necessary

Please let met know what scopes you might consider.

Thank You!

BjornF16

WKR
There is/was a couple of SWFA SS 3-15x42 scopes for sale in the classifieds.

That is where I’d start…

Edit:

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve been looking hard at the Zeiss V4’s to upgrade one of mine. There are better options but you just don’t see much bad about them. You can also run across a decent deal depending on the reticle and illumination you’re after

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
MRAD kinda cuts your options down a little in the hunting scope world, but I’d give the Vortex Viper PST Gen II and the Athlon Ares a look. I believe those both have models that would check all of your boxes.

OP
B

BCD

WKR

That is where I’d start…

Edit:
I had an SWFA 3-15 and found the reticle unusable in low light or even in good light with low magnification in the timber. It was great for target shooting. I sold it.

Vandy321

WKR
Oh hey, I've got one of them I'd sell.
I sold mine too, and I regret it. but only to save 6oz for a superlight...

Having owned S&B, Kahles, Zeiss, and having what I'd say is pretty good vision, my eyes can't tell the difference between the Bushy and Alpha glass in low light, CA and clarity. Reticle was a tad 'meh' for me i think the crosshairs are too thick on the illuminated, but it was reliable, tactile clicks, passed tracking tests and always returned to zero...for $750 non-illum, I dint think anything beats it at that price.

That is where I’d start…
That was last month. Those things sell in hours. (y)
I had an SWFA 3-15 and found the reticle unusable in low light or even in good light with low magnification in the timber. It was great for target shooting. I sold it.
At low magnification, could you still see the fat part of the cross hairs? For my mil quad 6X42 I just center close game in the thick cross hairs, like an upside down German #4. Plenty minute of animal. The 3-15 has smaller hairs than my 6x42 (0.06 mils vs 0.07), so that can make some difference..

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what you consider lightweight but this checks all of your other boxes. Plenty of reviews on here for the Credo line of Trijicons.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you considered the Sightron S-TAC FFP 3-16x42 Zero Stop - Mil-Hash-2 #26017
The S-TAC 3-16x42 FFP employs an illuminated Mil-Hash reticle for intermediate range applications where a smaller optic is needed. The MH-2 reticle has an illuminated crosshair with hash marks in 1/2 mil increments. The FFP model also utilizes an easy to set Zero-stop mechanism with.1 Mil clicks for tactical applications. The scope offers 20.4 MRAD of elevations adjustments for even the longest shots. A unique flip-up lever is built into the power ring for easy adjustments of cold days.
  • Tactical Turrets
  • Easy to set Zero Stop
  • Zact-7 Revecoat Multicoating for excellent light transmission
  • Exclusive ExacTrack Windage and Elevation adjustment system
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
    The reticle size changes with magnification setting. Reticle values remain constant in relation to your target.

Sled

WKR
Maybe you could define "light weight".

For whatever reason light weight by my definition and mrad don't go together. Good luck with your search.

Bater

WKR
Zeiss V4 4-16’s are hard to beat for lightweight yet long range capable western rifles