Scope Mounts - basic education

I have shot a lot in my life, but I'm a set it and forget it guy. I set up my rifles so long ago I couldn't tell you what I have on any of them.

The situation I find myself in is I just bought a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter. I need some ring mounts for it. The goal is some longer range work at the range (700y-1000y) and some longer range hunting (600y or so max). Until I get something a bit better, I'll be using a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on there, I also have a Leupold VXIII but I hate the reticle on it.

I know NOTHING about mounts, could someone link me to a good discussion or maybe just fill me in on some of the basics? I know this is the dumbest question, especially coming from someone who shoots a lot, has shot for a lot of years, and shoots fairly well. Thanks!

Totoro

WKR
No harm in asking, that's how we all learn.

Did you rifle come with or without a rail?

Assuming it came with a rail, then there's a ton of ring options limited by your wallet.

No one ring better than another; there's horizontal and vertical split options.

That being said, if no rail then need to add that to the "to get list." A 20MOA rail would suffice in alloy or steel.

Midway and a slew of other web sources have what you need and then some.

My own recommendations boil down to having the correct Torx drivers to install/proper leveling method/scope lapping tools/JB weld for bedding scope rail and rings (if so inclined)/boresighter.

rayporter

WKR
burris signature zee rings will allow you to do everything needed to zero. they have plastic inserts in them that allow you to move the scope up, down or sidways before you even touch the scope adjustments.

OP
A
I guess I just get confused with all of the different types of mounts, 20 moa rails, etc. A little education on types of mounts and rings and
No harm in asking, that's how we all learn.

Did you rifle come with or without a rail?

Assuming it came with a rail, then there's a ton of ring options limited by your wallet.

No one ring better than another; there's horizontal and vertical split options.

That being said, if no rail then need to add that to the "to get list." A 20MOA rail would suffice in alloy or steel.

Midway and a slew of other web sources have what you need and then some.

My own recommendations boil down to having the correct Torx drivers to install/proper leveling method/scope lapping tools/JB weld for bedding scope rail and rings (if so inclined)/boresighter.
It has no rail, just screw holes. I found a picatiny 20moa on midway that should fit. This is the problem, I kinda feel like it may take some trial and error to get the right fit, and I live in the middle of nowhere. I also figured picatiny is the way to go because once I have that fit properly everything else will be easy right?

A solid pic rail and decent rings (countless good options now days) and you're good to go. Just avoid vertically split rings, get horizontal rings.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I just get confused with all of the different types of mounts, 20 moa rails, etc. A little education on types of mounts and rings and

It has no rail, just screw holes. I found a picatiny 20moa on midway that should fit. This is the problem, I kinda feel like it may take some trial and error to get the right fit, and I live in the middle of nowhere. I also figured picatiny is the way to go because once I have that fit properly everything else will be easy right?

There isn't any trial or error-- buy the rail tighten screws. Most new actions are pretty straight if yours isn't bed the rail to fit. There's a billion choices for rings that fit a rail. Check Rokslide sponsors there's more than a few on here. I used the buckeye lite rings on my personal rifle love them. Simply buy the rings and mount for proper eye relief. Find a level and mount that somewhere too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk