Scope problems, need advise on replacement!

So I bought a sig tango 4 and put it on a ca Mesa 300 win and loved it at the range. Good features and glass was decent, tracked well. Anyways I went on my first elk trip and had it in my kifaru gun bearer and after three hours of hiking( no falls or anything out of the ordinary) the parallax/illumination knob broke off. Thankfully I had a back up. I called customer serves and they said it is pretty common, not enough for a recall, but happens fairly frequently. They are sending me a new one out right away, but I have zero trust in it now. I don’t want to spend a ton more but I am thinking of getting a nf nxs 5.5-22x50 moar-t for the reliability. Are there any other good scopes that compare for less money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
The Zeiss V6 is a great option. Excellent Schott glass, zero stop, lightweight, reliable mechanical performance and you can get demo models for around $1300 from Redhawk Rifles.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Zeiss V6 is a great option. Excellent Schott glass, zero stop, lightweight, reliable mechanical performance and you can get demo models for around $1300 from Redhawk Rifles.

How much personal use do you have on the V6?

Wrench

WKR
I'd seriously look at the Bushnell LRHS and lrts lines. They're a ton of scope for the money and tough as a hammer.

Kay9Cop

FNG
About the same money, but much lighter and smaller is the March 2.5-25x42. Model 1063 is tactical knobs with zero stop and 100 MOA of adjustment. The glass is way better than Night Force.

OP
S
A lot of options here! Thanks! I am going to check into all of them. Is nightforce somewhat of the standard in toughness and the others mentioned get close or are they as good?

Jardo

WKR
I bought a Zeiss v6 and am mounting it on a new cooper 300 win mag I got coming. Haven’t shot it but it’s light. Much lighter than nf.

It’s got far better glass than NF too. It has 62 moa of travel but with a 20 moa rail, I’ll be able to shoot well past my comfort range.

Light, great glass, zero stop. Tough to beat that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA and Bushnell are the ones I've had and shot without problems. Would be ok with either, giving the advantage to SWFA. When you finally get something that just works it is eye-opening.

Nightforce has a good rep, but I have never had one.

OP
S
Zeiss seems to be getting more recommendations in long range. How is their durability and tracking for anyone that has used them for awhile?

Zeiss seems to be getting more recommendations in long range. How is their durability and tracking for anyone that has used them for awhile?

No one seems to know, at least theres not a lot out there on the V6. I had one for a short period of time, but traded it off, needed a smaller objective to fit on a particular rifle where I don't get a good cheek weld on anything but low rings. It felt nice in the hands and looked nice, but never even shot with it to know if it functioned.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The half dozen or so V4’s and V6’s that I’ve seen and used have been no better than their predecessors.

OP
S
Were they not good? I don’t know about them in the past or now.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with this forum is that there are very few here who are qualified to be giving advice on "long range" equipment and offer bad advice. Rule # 1 purchasing a long range scope is that it must track properly. Just because they put exposed turrets on a standard scope doesn't mean the erector system was purpose built to track properly. Quality of glass means little. You shouldn't be glassing with it anyway thats what binoculars and spotting scopes are for. Listen to Formidilosus he knows what he is talking about.

OP
S
That is exactly what I am looking for. Glass means little. I feel like what you get with the scope is good enough. The mechanics and durability is what is most important as I learned that on the last one

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Were they not good?

No. They are a normal scope, the erector system isn’t designed or built for dialing.

What scope do you recommend that has a similar variable power?

How far far are you currently shooting regularly now? How far are you realistically going to hunt deer, elk, etc?