Scratch repair?

Made a trade that resulted in my gaining a pair of Lowa Tibet boots. Previous owner disclosed they had a pretty good scratch in the leather of one boot. Not terrible, but I can definitely catch my fingernail in it.

Any suggestions on repairing it myself? Or is it even something to worry about? Will conditioning the boot be enough to help take care of it?

Never really had decent boots so I am looking to take care of these as best I can.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I would make sure the leather was treated really well (whatever boot wax you prefer) and not worry about it. I've had some pretty good gouges in my boots and they've held up well without any issues.

I really wouldn’t worry about it. My favorite pair of schnee’s are more scratches than not. Like mentioned just keep them waxed/treated and you’ll be good to go.

Wrench

WKR
I wouldn't sweat it. At the end of a 15 day elk season my boots look like i kicked a pissed off chainsaw covered in mud, pine pitch and blood.....if it isn't through the stitching or leather, run it.

saile14

FNG
If the boots are still waterproof to your expectations they should be good.

Just go through a full clean process. Brush, wash, oil, condition and wax/waterproof.

You can attempt to sand down the edges but you have to be real careful not to do more damage to the scratch itself.

TheTone

WKR
I cut a brand new pair of Tibet’s pretty deeply on some barbwire in 2014. I hate to think how many miles are on them since but they’re basically shot with almost smooth soles, shoe goo all over them to hold the rand on , etc. The cut never expanded but I did give that spot a little extra care when putting any wax on the boots.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Aquaseal SR (shoe repair) is the best glue I've found for leather repair. Scuff up the leather a bit around the scratch, then apply a judicious, light coat of Aquaseal SR. It tries to a firm, tough, clear urethane and is pretty darn durable. It adheres much better than Shoe Goo.

Maki35

WKR
It's a scratch not a cut right? Are these boots going to be used for hunting? Just wear them, they're going to get scratched/ scuffed while hunting anyway.