SD Archery Draw

KurtR

WKR
It blows me away how people complain about South Dakota. Up until now this state has given you the opportunity to hunt mule deer on a guaranteed tag for months every year with a bow including during the rut. Any limits whatsoever are met with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If people would have kept their mouths shut this change wouldn't be happening, but the jar was opened and there is no going back.

Be thankful. Apply. Hunt if you get a tag. Probably gonna be pretty good odds.

And if you don't, buy a small game license and come kill coyotes. Or stay at home and watch TV. Whatever.
Thats kind of how i feel. We have been open doors for everything except waterfowl for years. Im glad my grandpa had the foresight to see the future and look out for residents when it came to the waterfowl he was one of the original people to get the regulations put in place back in the 60's. I didnt know that till my grandma passed and went through all the old stuff in his gun cabinet and found the articles and documents.

Lytro

WKR
Be thankful. Apply. Hunt if you get a tag. Probably gonna be pretty good odds.
If any state west of SD came out with a NR statewide archery any deer tag available at the same cost and draw odds, it would be considered the best deal in western hunting.

Airborne

FNG
I love hunting SD and appreciate the opportunities that they have for nonresidents. I hope the commission separates out the archery public land WT from Muleys but if they do not, I'll adapt and plan accordingly. Everything changes and ya have to roll with the punches. States favor their residents and that's ok. I think the standard of a 90/10 split between resident and nonresident tags has been in place for a long time in western states and if SD wants that for archery I can understand.

Since non-resident archery deer tags (public land) are now limited, does anyone know when the application deadline is? I havent seen this date posted yet.

Fatcamp

WKR
Since non-resident archery deer tags (public land) are now limited, does anyone know when the application deadline is? I havent seen this date posted yet.

I don't think anyone knows that at this point. My guess is they will do it with the deer draw??? But who knows.

WCB

WKR
I've said it before. Just make the NR licenses invalid within 1/2 mile of the road and 99% of the residents would never see another hunter.

Fatcamp

WKR
And they already have the draw stats out!?!?!?!

Looks like 78% chance of drawing.

Fatcamp

WKR
Not much of a protest if they’re selling the same number of tags either way. I’m more interested to see how many private land NR tags are sold. I’m guessing the overall number of NR hunters doesn’t change muchI'm.
We shall see.

Airborne

FNG
Of course I didn't draw, if there were 99% draw odds I would be the 1% that didn't! Ugg, oh well. Looking forward to the Unsuccessful emails that will come from other states this week and next.