SE Idaho Hunt

henz08

FNG
Hi All….

I’m from NW PA. Grew up hunting deer, bear, and small game. Headed to SE Idaho for my first elk/mule deer hunt in October. I’ve been out west hiking/rafting, middle fork in Idaho, and in the Durango Colorado area. Hope the previous experiences help me a bit.

Would greatly appreciate tips, intel, etc. from anyone that has hunted the area.
I read threads, listen to podcasts, have most of the gear (I think). Preparation is separation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All….

I’m from NW PA. Grew up hunting deer, bear, and small game. Headed to SE Idaho for my first elk/mule deer hunt in October. I’ve been out west hiking/rafting, middle fork in Idaho, and in the Durango Colorado area. Hope the previous experiences help me a bit.

Would greatly appreciate tips, intel, etc. from anyone that has hunted the area.
I read threads, listen to podcasts, have most of the gear (I think). Preparation is separation.

Thanks in advance.
Can you be a little more specific? SE Idaho is a huge area.

Do you have any advice on picking out a unit that would be mostly spot and stalk? I hunt in southeast alaska primarily and love hiking and going out 5+ miles out in rough country. I went in the lolo last year and found them, but the odds aren’t in my favor to find them in there again

rocknry09

FNG
Hi All….

Thanks in advance.
elk talk podcast is my favorite

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
1. Unless you know elk put the fuckin bugel away..
2. Use a cow call learn the esterus have multiple of them
3. If you see elk head to timber they will stay there for the day usually get your wind rt and wait them out
4. Best chance at a big boy is less calling more spot n stalk n trailing the heard
5. learn to shoot out to 90 yards so your comfortable to 70 to 60 elk are big targets but tiis aint tree stand shit….
6. Do not camp on the top or mid mountain where the elk are camp in normal spots or where they are
7. Always have your wind right always

I am sure some trolls will come on and contradict me but this has always worked well for me good luck

OP
henz08

henz08

FNG
Hi All. Following up. I hunted the Danish Pass area of the Bear River Range. I personally did not see any elk, others in camp did, saw about 40 muley does and 1 buck, 1 bull moose. Happy to provide specifics if you PM me. Last time I put unit numbers my post was deleted. Great experience, beautiful country, would go back for round 2.

IMG_6478.jpeg